Qusstion-2. Preamble is the philosophical key to the Constitution. Examine
Answer: The term ‘Preamble’ refers to the introduction or preface to the Constitution. The Preamble to Indian Constitution is based on the Objective Resolution drafted by Jawaharlal Nehru and adopted by the framers of the Constitution.
The significance of the Preamble lies in its components. It embodies the source of the Constitution i.e. the people of India.
Preamble as the philosophical key to Constitution
- It is indicated by the Preamble that the source of authority of the Constitution lies with the people of India.
- Preamble declares India to be a sovereign, socialist, secular and democratic republic.
- The objectives stated by the Preamble are to secure justice, liberty, equality to all citizens and promote fraternity to maintain unity and integrity of the nation.
- The Preamble to the Constitution of free India contains the basic ideals, objectives, and philosophical postulates the Constitution of India stands for. They provide justifications for constitutional provisions.
- Justice Sikri observed, “It seems to me that the preamble of our Constitution is of extreme importance and the constitution should be read and interpreted in the light of the grand and noble vision expressed in the preamble.”
Thus, the Preamble of the Constitution of India is one of the best of its kind ever drafted. Both in ideas and expression it is a unique one.
It embodies the spirit of the constitution to build up an independent nation which will ensure the triumph of justice, liberty, equality and fraternity
Tags: GS 2 ( Constitution)
By: Prashant Tiwari