Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag: GS- 2|| Governance & Social Justice || Other Aspects of Governance || Good Governance
Why in News?
- In the case of the D.A.V. College Trust and Management Society, the Supreme Court delivered its judgment to the Director of Public Instructions.
- The NGO decision sheds light on the strength of the undiluted RTI (Right to Information).
Supreme courts Judgement
- The Court held that, pursuant to Section 2(h) of the RTI Act 2005, NGOs significantly funded by the appropriate government fall within the scope of ‘public authority.’
- ‘Public authority’ means, under the Act, any self-government authority or body created or appointed by or under the Constitution.
- ‘ Substantial’ implies, in the opinion, a large portion that may be either direct or indirect.
- It does not need to be a major portion or more than 50% as no straitjacket equation can be used in this way.
- For example, if land is given to hospitals / educational institutions / other bodies free of charge or at a heavily subsidized rate, it may counts as significant funding.
Significance of the judgment
- The court demanded that the laws be viewed ‘
- Accordingly, it stressed the need to concentrate on the larger goal of benefiting the people from the law.
- The ultimate goals of implementing the purposeful principle of interpretation are-
- Creation of an ‘informed’ citizenry
- Containment of corruption
- Holding of government and its instrumentalities accountable to the governed.
- In addition, the decision may have broader implications for the effect of the RTI law on national political parties.
Why should national parties be brought under RTI Act
- The central government ‘ substantially ‘ funds the national political parties.
- The various concessions for them include –
- Land allocation
- Bungalows in the national and State capitals
- Tax exemption against income under Section 13A of the Income Tax Act.
- Free air time on television and radio, etc
- These can easily fulfill the provision of Section 2(h) of the RTI Act to be referred to as a ‘ public authority. ‘
Earlier developments in this regard
- The Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) submitted a request to all national parties under the RTI in 2010. It sought information about the “10 maximum voluntary contributions” received by them in the past 5 years.
- None of the national political parties volunteered to make the information available.
- Accordingly, ADR and RTI advocate Subhash Agarwal submitted a request to the CIC.
- A full CIC bench released a landmark judgment in 2013.
- It announced that all national parties were protected by the’ public authorities’ and that they were bound by the RTI Act.
- Accordingly, within 6 weeks, local public information officers (CPIOs) and appeal authorities are assigned to their headquarters.
- Notwithstanding the CIC’s legal importance, it was not complied with by any of the six national political parties.
- Both parties were absent from the hearing when show-cause notices of non-compliance were released by the commission.
- RTI Act
- The Right to Information (Amendment) Bill was introduced in Parliament in 2013 and lapsed after the 15th Lok Sabha was dissolved.
- The purpose of the Bill was to expressly exclude the political parties from the scope of RTI.
- 2019 PIL
- In 2019, a PIL was filed in the Supreme Court seeking the declaration of ‘public authority’ by the political parties, and the matter is under judicial consideration.
Mains Model question
- Recently the ambit of RTI was widened by bringing in NGOs under its purview, Don’t you think bringing Judiciary under the purview of the RTI Act can lead to enhanced public trust in the Judiciary? Critically Analyse.