Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag: GS -2||Governance and social justice ||Other Aspects of Governance|||Corporate governance
What is the Issue?
- The Finance Minister proposed a Social Stock Exchange (SSE) in the 2019 Budget speech.
- SSE will list social enterprises and voluntary organizations, has gathered much attention among social impact enthusiasts across the globe.
How is India going to model its SSE?
- Social enterprise can be described as non-loss; non-dividend paid enterprise developed and designed to deal with a social issue.
- Report by McKinsey–’ Impact Investors’ in India poured about $5.2 billion between 2010 and 2016, most of which concentrated on sectors such as financial inclusion and clean energy.
- Access to debt and equity is described as an obstacle to growth and sustainability by 57% of social enterprises in India.
- India is home to over two million social enterprises (non-profits, hybrid models and for-profits).
- Therefore, when preparing the public stock exchange, it needs careful preparation.
- SEBI still has to set up its SSE working group, but many experts have suggested distilling lessons from other countries.
- While formulating such a product for India, we need to have an extensive and cautious approach in terms of its accreditation, valuation, and monitoring.
Benefits of listing in SSE
- Listing of social enterprises on an SSE would improve the visibility of social enterprises to large investors and philanthropic organizations.
- In addition to equity capital, social enterprises need debt, especially in order to meet the requirements of working capital.
- Listing debt products in the SSE would encourage banks, NBFCs, and other investors to participate in and deepen their impact on the growth path of these social enterprises.
- SSE impact assessment would also help support an ecosystem of creative financial products (such as outcome-based financing) that is the next major leap forward for India’s investment community impact.
What are the valuation metrics?
- Impact assessment indicators could be developed for social enterprises based on the social and environmental mission; target beneficiaries; service delivery; participation of stakeholders; and impact evaluation.
- Continuous monitoring of these metrics is critical for such a platform’s performance.
- Impact assessors and rating agencies can also partner with SEBI on this task and provide investors with a reliable source of impact assessment.
- We also have a great deal to know from our experience of both BSE and NSE SME exchanges.
- Most early-stage social enterprises also fall under SMEs, but they need more vigilant support than others.
Which steps should an SSE take to achieve its intended goals?
- Educating market participants on valuation indicators that weigh on social and financial returns;
- Enhancing efforts to build and support social enterprises;
- Implementing policy and regulatory changes to benefit stakeholders and to promote research and development for small social enterprises.
- SSE must allow socially conscious investors to engage in order to avoid the wandering task of its listed companies.
- Investors can add value to their financial returns by issuing certificates to support the social missions of listed companies.
- India has one of the emerging economies ‘ most advanced social impact ecosystems.
- This proposal seems to be an encouraging move, as it would help social enterprises/ NGOs to raise funds through equity, debt or as units like an MF (mutual fund) to meet social welfare objectives. This step would clearly stimulate governance in the social sector.
- If implemented properly it will serve as a platform for fund mobilization for ventures which may have an overriding social purpose, which is sustainable and reflective of the changing social attitudes towards impact investing.
Mains model question
- What are Social Stock Exchanges? Discuss its needs and potential in India?