Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag:GS-2|| Governance & Social Justice|| Human Development|| Health
What is the issue?
- Government should emphasize the importance of sexual and reproductive health and rights(SRHR) for a small, healthy and stable family.
Status of reproductive services in India
- NEHS-4: The National Family Health Survey (NFHS) 4 indicates that the use of modern contraceptive methods (mCPR) continues to be around 48 percent since 2006.
- Sterilization: Sterilization has led to more than 70% of contraceptive use in states that have shown a decline in mCPR.
- Gender inequality
- Further, according to NFHS 4, female sterilization in India has stayed at around 37% since 2006, amid health complications and deaths, highlighting gender inequalities in contraceptive usage.
- According to NHFS, 36 percent of females and only 0.3 percent of males underwent sterilization, which shows the level of difference.
- Lack of Accessibility and awareness
- This may be due to lack of availability or knowledge of other contraceptive methods and require immediate corrective action.
Issues in data collection on reproductive health
- Different levels
- India has a large database of health and demographic data, but this repository can also be confusing.
- For example, information on contraceptive use from large-scale surveys show different levels in selected geographies, making preparation difficult.
- Such inaccuracies may be due to errors in the collection of data.
- Errors in data collection
- Errors in data collection have an impact on the quality of the information which contradicts the results of the study.
- Policy Planning
- The reliability of these results is critical for policymaking to tackle reproductive health and maternal and child health issues.
- Researchers have found out that information reliability is compromised by factors such as interviewer bias, which contributes to inaccurate data entry.
- Incorrect Reporting
- This often happens when collecting data on female sterilization, which is caused by over-reporting of women as non-users and reporting current non-users as cases of hysterectomy.
- The rate of bias was found to be higher in the states that reported a decline in mCPR, suggesting that the results were affected by data collection errors.
- There is also a challenge in distinguishing between procedures such as sterilization and hysterectomy for some interviewers, which contributes to inaccurate coverage.
- Research shows that a state-level decline in the use of mCPR and a decline in the acceptance of sterilization may lead to a reduction in the use of mCPR.
Measures are needed in this regard
- Address Data Quality issues: There is a need to resolve data quality concerns and to implement technological innovations in the collection, training and capacity building of survey officials.
- Role of NDQF:
- The position of the National Data Quality Forum (NDQF) is critical when it comes to addressing differences in data collection and analysis and using data for advocacy and policymaking.
- Forums such as NDQF need to be supported to reduce data collection errors and to put together the brightest minds to build effective data quality frameworks.
- Inclusive data collection: In addition, the challenge should be to make data collection inclusive of individuals, selection, organization, knowledge, and decision-making. It is also important to tackle reproductive rights for women.
- Uptake sterilization of men: With male sterilization on a rapid decline, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare published the National Health Policy 2017, which aims to increase male sterilization to 30%.
- Address Gender inequality: The emphasis should, therefore, be on enhancing information on the identification of contraceptive usage problems and resolving gender inequalities in SRHR in India.
National Data Quality Forum
- The National Institute for Medical Statistics (ICMR-NIMS) of the Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR), in collaboration with the Population Council, launched the National Data Quality Forum (NDQF).
Aim of NDQF
- The purpose of the NDQF is to develop protocols and good practices for data collection, processing, use, dissemination and distribution that can be applied to and replicated through health and demographic data.
- NDQF aims at brainstorming, piloting and implementing advanced artificial intelligence (AI) modeling methods, machine learning, and big data analytics, along with the use of technology-based solutions to improve data quality.
Mains model question
- Discuss how gender inequality came to be recognized as inequality in the Indian context, and all kinds of responses that this recognition produced?