Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag:GS-2|| Governance & Social Justice|| Human Development|| Population
What is the issue?
- A 74-year-old Andhra Pradesh woman has recently been identified as the world’s oldest woman to give birth to twins through in-vitro fertilization (IVF).
- Although babies and mothers are healthy, the medical community has raised moral, clinical and ethical concerns over conception at such an advanced age.
What are the recent notable IVF births?
- Under IVF, the sperm of the male is fertilized with donor eggs and inserted in the uterus of the female (mother).
- After 57 years of marriage and several failed attempts to conceive, Erramatti Mangayamma, 74, visited Ahalya Nursing Home in Andhra Pradesh in 2018.
- She planned the in-vitro fertilization procedure with an IVF specialist at the hospital.
- Twin babies have just been born through cesarean operation.
- In 2016, 70-year old Dajinder Kaur delivered a boy to Haryana via IVF.
- In 2016, Dajinder Kaur, 70, had delivered a boy through IVF in Haryana.
- In 2010, a 66-year old woman delivered triplets at the same Haryana hospital.
Why is this Concern?
- This pregnancy was condemned worldwide because things might have gone wrong and it sets a false precedent.
- Some experts have called for punitive action, alleging that the Indian Medical Research Council (ICMR) must de-register the Andhra Pradesh Centre.
- ICMR is considering giving notice of indulgence in unethical practice to the hospital.
What is the concern?
- Average life expectancy
- An Indian woman’s and man’s average life expectancy is 70 and 69 respectively.
- The medical community has therefore expressed concern about the prospects of children born to such an elderly couple(the very day after birth, the father of the twins, 80, suffered a stroke.)
- The medical technology has reached a stage where even a 90-year-old can conceive of a child.
- Risking Human life:
- Nonetheless, there are problems in this that could endanger human life.
- The womb of an older woman has to be prepared by injecting hormones for the fetus to grow for nine months.
- Breastfeeding: A woman of older age cannot breastfeed.
- Health issues: Old age pregnancy also faces many risks, including hypertension, diabetes, strokes, bleeding and heart problems.
- The Assisted Reproductive Technologies (Regulation) Bill, 2010
- The bill introducesan upper age limit of 45 for women and 50 for men to be eligible to IVF; the bill is pending.
- Since the ART Act has not yet been passed, it is impossible to bring legal action against clinics.
- No law in practice: With no law in place, the assisted reproductive technology (ART) industry continues to operate in a grey zone.
- ICMR’s Guidelines
- A number of centers are now depending on ICMR’s 2017 recommendations proposing the same age limits.
- Although the cumulative age of the couple may not exceed 110 years for adoption.
- When life expectancy rises, doctors are in negotiations with the government to raise the IVF age limit for women to 50-52 years.
- Some experts now self-regulate, others encourage senior citizens to drop the idea, and others refuse to treat them with IVF.
- Most lawmaking countries vary the maximum IVF cap from 40 to 50 years.
- The upper limit for IVF in the United States is 50 and the upper limit for ovum donation is 45.
- Regulations prohibit IVF in Australia after menopause (52 years).
What necessitates old age pregnancy?
- Globally, an estimated 15% of pairs are infertile.
- The social pressure to have babies, the fear of living without help in old age, and the loss of a single child also, cause couples to go for advanced treatments even when they are older.
- The 2010 Assisted Reproductive Technologies (Regulation) Act also states that children are “old-age insurance” in the Indian social context.
- Some doctors argue that childbirth is a personal decision and each individual has the right to make that choice after counseling.
- It is a proven fact that women are most fertile between the ages of 15 and 30. Beyond this, there is an increased risk of producing eggs and embryos with chromosomal and other abnormalities. IVF at advanced ages comes with the risks of pregnancy loss, etc.
- Pregnancy should occur when the couple is settled well to share the burden of raising the child.