Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag:GS3||Economy||Scientific Innovations and Discoveries
Why in news?
- The Swedish company announced the Nobel prize in literature for this year as well as last year.
- Olga tokarczuk(Poland) for 2018
- Peter Handke (Austria) for 2019
- The 2018 award has been postponed for a year on account of a scandal involving the academy’s close ties with a man convicted of rape and jailed that year.
About the Swedish Academy:
- The Swedish academy a 233-year-old cultural institution is responsible for awarding the Nobel prize for literature since its inception in 1921.
- The academy is one of Sweden’s royal academics with 18 members elected for life.
- The prizes are an appreciation of an individual ‘s contribution to literature as a whole.
- The person does not necessarily need to have released a new work in 2018 or 2019 to become a laureate.
About Olga Tokarzuck:
- The delayed prize went to Tokarczuk for a narrative imagination that with encyclopedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life.
- Tokarczuk, 57, one of Poland’s most successful authors, has found a wider English reading audience in recent years and won the man booker prize in 2018 for flights, a translation of her 2007 novel bieguuni.
- Much of her work is marked by historical/mythical settings with realistic details and themes of conflicting cultures and perspectives.
About Peter Handke:
- For the 2019 year, handke was awarded for an influential work that with linguistic ingenuity has explored the periphery and the specificity of human experiences.
- He has written a novel, essay, dramatic works, and screenplays in a vast body of work spanning more than 50 years.
- The academy described him as one of the most influential writers in Europe after the second world war.
- The academy acknowledged that Handke has sometimes caused controversy.
Why is Handke’s choice controversial?
- Handke now based in France is widely Benn as sympathetic of the Serbian far-right.
- He delivered the eulogy at ex sebian president Slobodan Milosevic’s funeral in 2006 (who was charged in 2001 with Bosnian genocide)
- Handke had also expressed sympathy for the Serbs in the 1990s Yugoslav wars.
- Handke said -” Sometimes I would like to be a Serbian orthodox monk fighting for Kosovo”.
Swedish academy sexual harassment scandal:
- In November 2017 Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter published allegations from 18 women accusing French photographer Jean Claude Arnault of sexual assault.
- After the allegations were published it caused a rift among members of the academy and exposed scheming conflict of interest , and a culture of silence that lead to the resignation of 7 out of 18.
- Ravaged by infighting accusations of corruption and connections with serious assault allegations the Swedish academy said in May 2018 that the Nobel prize for literature was canceled for that year.
- It was also reported that Arnault may have leaking the shortlist of authors into consideration for the prize seven times since 1996 (the shortlisting and selection of the eventual prize winner is notoriously secretive0.
- The academy which is under the direct patronage of the Swedish king is very discreet and has been deeply shaken by scandal.
- Literature scholar Sara Danius who was the first woman to lead the academy and was I charge at the time the scandal broke, announce that she too has been sexually assaulted by Arnault
- Yet danius was forced to step down from the academy by Arnault and frostensen’s defenders.
- In October 2018, Arnault was convicted of rape and sentenced to 30 months in prison.
Change made after the scandal:
- Nobel foundation stated that the academy had
- Amended its regulations.
- Elected new members
- Appointed a new independent committee to help select the eventual prize winner.
- Removed members under criminal investigation or subject to a conflict of interest.
The new Academy prize:
- It led to the first postponement of the Nobel in 70 years.
- A group of Swedish culture figures set up a substitute award, the new academy prize
- They chose their laureate as Maryse conde an author from Guadeloupe country.
- This was to show that a winner could be chosen in fashion in contrast to the academy’s secret workings.