Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag:GS 1||Geography||Indian Physical Geography||Monsoons
Why in news?
- In June September ends with reservoirs holding 21% more water than the 10-year average for this stage, 33 of 113 reservoirs at full capacity, and all river systems with higher storage than normal.
About the report:
- The total live storage capacity of these 113 reservoirs is 168.77 billion cubic meters(BCM) and their live storage as of September 26 was 146.2 BCM or 87% of this capacity.
- In 33 reservoirs, water was at full reservoir level(FRL) on September 26. Levels ranged between 71% and 99% of FRL in 56 other reservoirs. Only in 10 reservoirs were levels at 40% or below.
Region-Wise Storage Status:
- Eastern region: The Eastern region includes the States of Jharkhand, Odisha, West Bengal, and Tripura. There are 15 reservoirs under CWC monitoring having a total live storage capacity of 18.83 BCM. The total live storage available in these reservoirs is 5.04 BCM which is 27% of total live storage capacity of these reservoirs. The storage during the corresponding period of last year was 30% and the average storage of the last ten years during the corresponding period was 25% of the live storage capacity of these reservoirs. Thus, storage during the current year is less than the corresponding period of last year but is better than the average storage of the last ten years during the corresponding period.
- Western region: The Western region includes the States of Gujarat and Maharashtra. There are 27 reservoirs under CWC monitoring having a total live storage capacity of 31.26 BCM. The total live storage available in these reservoirs is 4.10 BCM which is 13% of total live storage capacity of these reservoirs. The storage during the corresponding period of last year was 18% and the average storage of the last ten years during the corresponding period was 22% of the live storage capacity of these reservoirs. Thus, storage during the current year is less than the storage of last year
- Northern region: The northern region includes the States of Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, and Rajasthan. There are six reservoirs under CWC monitoring having a total live storage capacity of 18.01 BCM. The total live storage available in these reservoirs is 8.54 BCM which is 47% of total live storage capacity of these reservoirs. The storage during the corresponding period of last year was 16% and the average storage of the last ten years during the corresponding period was 26% of the live storage capacity of these reservoirs. Thus, storage during the current year is better than the corresponding period of last year and is also better than the average storage of the last ten years during the corresponding period.
- Central region: In the central region (U.P, U.K, M.P, Chhatisgarh) states consist of 16 reservoirs and the present capacities of these reservoirs are 86% which is 7% more than last year.
- Southern region: In the southern region(Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Kerala, and Tamilnadu) where the CWC monitors 33 reservoirs, their stocks added up to 44.2% BCM, or 84% of their total live capacity, up from 74% at this stage last year, and much higher than the 10 year average of 66%.
- In Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Jharkhand, West Bengal, up, Tripura, Uttarakhand, Kerala, and Chhatisgarh, the water in reservoirs was lower than the stocks the same stage last year.
- In Rajasthan, Odisha, Nagaland, Gujarat, Maharashtra, MP, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu, this year’s storage exceeded last year’s, owning to good rain throughout the season.
National Monsoon Mission:
- Ministry of earth sciences has launched NMM in 2012 with a vision to develop a state of the art dynamical prediction system for monsoon rainfall on different time scales.
- For the first time, the India meteorological department used the monsoon mission dynamical model to prepare operational seasonal forecast of 2017 monsoon rainfall over India.
- Ministry has now launched the monsoon mission phase 2 program, for the next 3 years(2017-2020) with emphasis on predicting extremes.
- The responsibility of execution and coordination of this mission is vested to the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology(IITM), Pune.
- The climate forecast system(CFS) of the USA has been identified as the basic modeling system for the above purpose, as it is is one of the best among the currently available coupled models.
- For this national mission, IITM is collaborating with NCEP (USA), MoES organizations and various academic institutions/organizations under NMM.
Objectives of NMM:
- Improved prediction of monsoon and extended range of rainfall
- Improved prediction of temperature, rainfall, and extreme weather events, etc.
- To set up a state of the art dynamical modeling framework prediction skill of –
- The seasonal and extended range prediction system
- The short and medium-range prediction system
- To build a working partnership between the academic/research and development organizations and the operational agency to improve the monsoon forecast skill.
- To set up the infrastructure and manpower required to improve the prediction skill at all the time scales(long seasonal, extended, medium and short-range) over India reason.
Rainfall misery- on ongoing monsoon furry:
- The situation of Bihar: Bihar is struggling to stay afloat in the ongoing monsoon.
- Same has also happened in Eastern UP(heavy rainfall)
- Monsoon -changing pattern: this year, monsoon prediction has been failed. The extreme rainfall, increased the frequency in rainfall was noticed and it was because of change in climate
- Urbanization at the centre: lack of urban planning also leads to floods.
- Firstly the safety of citizens should be ensured.
- The durability of economic assets and infrastructure should be ensured otherwise state debt will be increased.
- Managing excess water properly and how to make good use of water like by focusing on traditional water conservation system (bawari, johar,kul,khadin, etc.)
- The state should bring Financial and technical links for flood handling structures.
- We can work with another country for predictions of rainfall like in managing flood in Bihar state we can make coordination with Nepal.