Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag:GS-3|| Economy|| Agriculture|| Sustainable Agriculture & Organic Farming
What is the issue?
- In September 2019, a teenager Greta Thunberg addressed the United Nations climate change summit, which had an impact.
- But, the Indian government is all-absorbed by the news of slowing economy.
What should we concern about?
- Economic growth slowdown
- It is true that India’s economic growth has slowed over the past few quarters— over the past 2½ years if we go through annual growth rates.
- The goal of the Indian government is to boost the economy.
- Those who have heard the address of Greta Thunberg may not be as worried about economic growth as the government is about it.
- Mindless consumption
- Globally, the cause of climate change is industrial growth powered by mindless consumption.
- Income levels
- But India does need some growth as income levels here are still very low.
- However, even with less production, the issue of low incomes can be tackled as long as it is of the appropriate type.
- Therefore, slowing growth in India cannot be defined as a crisis.
- Unemployment is the only economic attribute that reacts positively to the issue of whether it is actually in crisis.
- Periodic Labour Force Survey Report 2017-18 points to a dramatic increase in the unemployment rate since 2011-12.
- In addition to the’ Urban Females ‘ category, the estimate of unemployment shows that it has been the highest in the 45 years since 1972-73.
- It’s double what it was in 2011-12, even for‘ Urban Females.’
- It’s four times the median of ‘Rural Males’ for the 40 years up to 2011-12.
- These statistics will reassure us that there is a severe employment situation in the country.
- Government responses to slow growth
- A number of measures have been introduced, the most notable of which is a cut in the corporate tax rate.
- The lowering of tax was intended as a solution for declining corporate investment.
- But if the degree of corporate investment represents a certain underlying reality, we can only get to the root of the problem by tackling the latter.
- Urban demand drives a large part of corporate sales.
- The government is not listening to their voices because they are less coordinated than some other corporate groups.
- The rural image is important not only because there are the largest numbers, but also because of their low incomes.
- This means that the future growth of demand for much of industrial production is likely to come from there.
Why is there a decrease in production?
- Crop agriculture
- Recent crop farming history is one of the reasons why rural income is so slow-growing. It has shown no growth since 2008-2009.
- It would be compensated in good years by households incurring consumer debt in poor crop years.
- It means that even in good years, consumption does not grow significantly.
- Low export growth
- Other factors vary from low growth in exports to a banking sector crisis.
- Low agricultural output explains weak domestic demand significantly.
- Unstable agricultural production
- Unstable agricultural production reduces the demand for agricultural labour, and subsequently the supply of agricultural labour, resulting in increased unemployment.
- The investment rate has been reported to have decreased.
- This is real, but it may be a result of poor farming
- Private investment is both driven and driven by demand production.
What might be the long-term solution?
- Agriculture performance
- Any long-term solution to the unemployment problem linked to slow economic growth should start with agricultural production.
- Observing crop farming performance since 2008-09, India may be experiencing something completely new.
- India has long recognized a crop yield cycle correlated with annual rainfall fluctuations, but we are now experiencing stagnation.
- Now, unlike in case of a cycle recovery cannot be presumed easily.
- Agricultural scientists’ expertise is needed to confirm the factors that this state is responsible for.
- Ecological Factors
- Consideration could be given to the role of environmental factors in causing agricultural stagnation.
- Land loss leads to scarcity which raises agricultural costs.
- Most of these findings are man-made specifically because they contribute to the over-exploitation of earth’s resources.
- Need for a Deeper Adaptation
- In order to address these factors, a deeper adaptation is needed.
- Intelligent leadership, allocation of resources and improvements in farming behavior would all have to be combined for this.
- The volatile agricultural sector, which makes economic growth fragile, has failed to provide an adequate response to economic policy.
- Policy focus is disproportionately on the tax rate, the ease of doing business in the non-agricultural sector and a fussy adherence to a dubious fiscal-balance target.
- It is time to draw in the public agricultural institutes and farmer bodies for their views on how to save the sector.
- Action on multiple fronts, including investments in human capital, the rebirth
of the productive industries, and initiatives to promote small entrepreneurship will be needed to address the severe unemployment in the country.
Mains model question
- What measures the government need to take to increase the public as well as private investment thereby helping in generating employment? Explain