Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag:GS 2|| International Relations|| India & Rest of the World|| USA
Why in news?
- India and the US failed to reach a limited trade agreement during the visit of the Indian PM to the U.S.
What is the expected “limited” trade deal?
- Duties imposed by India
- The trade agreement lagged behind India’s duties on Information and communication technology (ICT) goods.
- The U.S. wanted to reduce or remove the 20% penalty on mobile phones and Ethernet switches.
- Greater access to the market: The U.S. has called for greater access to the Indian market for medical devices, such as stents and knee implants, other than dairy and agricultural products.
- GSP: India, for its part, wanted to restore the Generalized System of Preferences, which provides preferential market access to its goods in the United States.
Why the trade deal couldn’t be finalized?
- Sensitive products
- S. specifications for medical devices and dairy and agricultural goods are seen as politically sensitive items for India.
- As the government has often taken credit for making such items affordable.
- Losing price controls at present is not a choice for India, as it would push up prices for these goods in the state.
- Issues on IP, e-commerce, HIB visas
- A full-scale trade agreement will present major challenges to problems such as intellectual property, e-commerce, and H1B visas.
- Economic slowdown
- With its economy in the grip of a big recession, any concessions from India on imports of American products may not have gone well, both politically and economically.
- For U.S. President Trump, even a small deal with India will be something to think about as the election year progresses.
- US-China trade talks
- The trade talks with China are going nowhere.
- China has not only introduced punitive tariffs on the part of the US but has also retaliated by choosing goods that could damage Trump’s electoral district and supporters.
- It explains the hectic, behind-the-scenes operation with India over the last few weeks.
- Despite little information in the public domain, it seems that India has been strong and has refused to give in to U.S. demands.
- Trade negotiations are never quick, and for them to succeed, both sides should believe in a policy of giving and taking action.
- It does not help when one side is trying to bulldoze the other to fully yield to its interests.
- At this point in time, even a limited trade agreement between India and the U.S. seems to be some distance away.
- Generalized Scheme of Preferences (GSP)
- The Generalized Scheme of Preferences (GSP) is a U.S. trade policy designed to foster economic growth in the developing world by offering preferential duty fee entry to up to 4,800 goods from 129 identified recipient countries and territories.
- Objective of GSP
- The goal of the GSP was to support the development of poor countries by promoting exports from them to developed countries.
- The GSP supports sustainable development in recipient countries by allowing those countries to improve and diversify their trade with the United States.
- GSP provides opportunities for many of the poorest countries in the world to use trade to develop their economies and alleviate poverty.
- Benefits of GSP
- Indian exporters profit indirectly–through the gain to the importer of reduced tariffs or duty-free entry of qualifying Indian goods.
- Reduction or elimination of import duty on an Indian commodity makes it more profitable for the importer–other items (e.g. quality) are equivalent.
- This tariff choice helps new exporters to enter the market and existing exporters to increase their market share and boost profit margins in the donor country.
- H-IB visa
- The U.S. H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that requires U.S. companies to recruit graduate-level employees in specialized occupations. Specialized professions include theoretical and technical expertise in specialized fields such as IT, banking, accounting, architecture, engineering, mathematics, research, medicine, etc.
- Any professional level work that usually requires a bachelor’s degree or higher may be subject to an H-1B specialty occupation visa.
- H-1B visa holders in the US face difficulties in switching jobs, even if the new job is similar to the old one and needs the same exact skill sets.
- The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) rejected a number of applications by the new employer, citing that the new position does not constitute a’ specialty occupation.