Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag:GS -2 || Polity || Political Dynamics || Elections
Why in news?
- The Election Commission reduced Sikkim Chief Minister Prem Singh
Tamang’s disqualification period to one-year – and-a-month.
Charges on the CM Tamang
- Convicted under POCA
- Tamang has been charged under the Corruption Prevention Act.
- In 1996-97, Rs.9.50 lakh was misappropriated for the procurement of milk cows for sale.
- The High Court and the Supreme Court upheld his one-year jail term.
- In August 2018, he went to prison and was released.
- Appointed as CM in 2019
- The Sikkim Governor appointed him (controversially) as chief minister earlier in
- Tamang did not contest, but the Sikkim Krantikari Morcha (SKM), who won the election, chose him the leader of the legislature party.
- SC Ruling of 2001
- This was in deep disregard of the Supreme Court’s 2001 ruling in the case of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa.
- [SC nullified her appointment as CM in 2001 because of her conviction in TANSI (Tamil Nadu Small Industries Corporation) case in 2000].
- Tamang’s appointment was challenged in the Supreme Court.
- To revoke his disqualification, Tamang approached the Election Commission.
- Any prosecution under the anti-corruption law will result in a six-year disqualification under an amendment in 2003.
- Tamang argued that the law that existed at the time of the conviction only implied disqualification from contesting elections if the penalty was for a term of two years or more.
- So, the amendment in 2003 should not be applied to him.
- The EC has the power to remove or reduce the disqualification attached to a conviction under Section 11 of the People’s Representation Act, 1951.
- Mr Tamang is eligible to contest a byelection with the current EC order and to retain his post.
Why is this the wrong precedent?
- ECs power under RPA used only rarely
- EC powers under the People’s Act were used only occasionally and only in cases involving a bribery conviction.
- Disqualification- A civil disability
- Disqualification from contest is a civil disability created by electoral law to prevent the entry into elected offices of those convicted by criminal courts.
- It’s not a second criminal punishment.
- Tamang cannot, however, claim that disqualification for a one-year period amounts to a penalty not common at the time of the offense.
- Decriminalization of Politics
- The order is morally wrong and a dangerous precedent that could potentially reverse the trend to decriminalize politics.
- In fact, there is already a perception that the decisions of the EC are political.
- ECs order for Mr. Tamang now comes only one day after the ruling BJP formed an alliance with the SKM for by-polls in October 2019.
- ECs Credibility
- The EC decision also runs counter to a number of recent legislative and judicial steps to strengthen the legal framework against corruption.
- This is expected to further undermine the credibility of the electoral commission.
- Corruption has been described by the apex court as a serious problem and one that affects the economy.
- Legislators are working with public funds and there is a good reason to keep anyone accused of abuse.
- Coverage from automatic disqualification given to sitting lawmakers was withdrawn in 2013.
- All of these mean that disqualification should be extended more narrowly to those accused of bribery.
- The existing position cannot sustain itself for long as the governments from time to time will try to influence the constitutional office of the Election Commission.
- It is time that instead of mere rhetoric over the independence of the EC some substantial change is brought forward for protection of the constitutional body.
- Additionally, the Commission has to reinvent its approach so, that the bedrock of democracy doesn’t shake at its foundations.
Mains model question
- Election commission of India has been known for its rich legacy of being Independent and Inclusive, but it has been seen in many instances that it is biased towards the parties not being in power at center. Do you feel that EC lost its legacy and credibility over time? Critically Analyse