Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag:GS2 || International Relations || India & Rest of the world || West Asia
Why in News?
- Saudi Kingdom’s State run Oil company Aramco’s two vital oil sites Khurias (Oilfield) and Abqaiq (Oil processing facility) came under a massive attack by Drones and Missiles.
- Yemen’s Houthi rebels took responsibility for the attack and said that it is in response to Saudis recent Airstrike on Yemen.
Saudi Arabia is one of the largest producers of Oil in the world. The attacks have the lasting impacts on the world’s Economic and Geopolitical scenarios. It worsen the situation in the middle East as US is accusing Iran for the attack.
Some of the major impacts :
- These attacks knocked off the crude oil production of almost 5 million barrels per day.
- The attacked site Abqaiq is world’s largest oil processing facility. Damage to this site has resulted in 15% increase in Oil prices.
- The attacks raised question on air defense system of Saudi kingdom as it is the largest defense importer. Though Saudi has Patriot anti Missiles system It failed to detect the Drones.
- The use of drones and it’s accurate success may influence other militants across the world to attack their enemies with Drones. It is also a matter of concern in security perspective.
- S strongly accused the Iran and threatened it with a response. This may lead to further escalations in the middle East or may lead to full fledged war.
- Yemen Crisis referred as “ One of the largest man made Humanitarian crisis” will further deteriorate. This conflict is going on for the years between Saudi lead coalition and the Iran backed Houthi rebels.
- Saudi is our second biggest Oil supplier after Iraq.
- India imports 83% of it’s crude oil requirements. The surge in crude oil prices will hurt India’s Economic growth
- A $10 rise in Brent will lift India’s annualised import bill by $15 billions. A 10 percent rise in oil prices widens India’s current account deficit by 0.4-0.5 percent of GDP. These will in turn leads to Inflation.
- It also increases India’s Current Account Deficit (CAD). It will further reduces our Economic health which is already in a Slowdown.
- Saudi has said it had committed to meet India’s energy security needs.
What India needs to Do?
As a growing Economy India needs large amount of oil and other petroleum products to run it’s engines.
- India should diversify it’s energy sources. Should invest more in R&D of renewable energy field.
- India should look away from the middle East for it’s crude oil requirements as this region always in turmoil.
- India should strengthen it’s air defense system, Drone attack may emerge as a threat from Pak supported terror organization. We should tighten Unmanned Areal Vehicles( UAV) regulations.
- India should maintain it’s neutrality as India is friendly to both Saudi and Iran. While Saudi provides us with oil, we have major development projects like chahabar port in Iran. It is our gateway to reach Afghanistan and central Asian countries.
In 2011 the longtime Authoritarian Yemen Government headed by Ali Abdullah Saleh came to an end in the wake of Arab Spring. Power transferred to Abdrabuha Mansour Hadi.He has to face many problems like separatist in the south, Corruption, Food security. etc. Houthi Shia Muslim rebel movement took advantage of new President’s weakness and seized the control of northern Saada province. They grew up stronger and took control of Sanaa forcing president Hadi to leave the country. Saudi Arabia accused Iran of supplying the Houthi rebels with Arms and weapons. Saudi along with other Sunni countries backed by U.S,U.K and France began air strike against the Houthis and Their aim was to reinstate the Hadi Government. This is the plain explanation of Yemen war but Due to intervention of Powerful counties, Shia Sunni conflict and separatist movements along southern part made it as complex and worst Humanitarian crisis resulted in the killing of 7000+ civilians.