Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag:GS 2|| Polity || Judiciary || Supreme Court
Why in News?
- SC Collegium Recommends Elevation Of Justice Kureshi As CJ Of Tripura HC, Modifying Earlier Proposal.
- The Collegium recommend to elevate him as the Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh in the May of this year. However Government delayed to notify this decision.
- This move raised the question on integrity of the Collegium system.
Article 124( Supreme Court) and Article217(High courts)of the Indian Constitution deals with Appointment of the judges in receptive Court s. It says “ Every judge of the Supreme Court/High Court shall be appointed by the president after consultation with such of the judges of the SC and of the High Courts in States as the president may seem necessary for the purpose”.
The appointment of the judges has long been a Bone of contention between Executive and Judiciary. The present appointment system i.e Collegium system has its origin in three of its own judgements popularly referred as Three Judge Cases
- P. Gupta v. Union of India- 1981
- Supreme Court Advocates-on Record Association vs Union of India – 1993
- In reSpecial Reference 1 of 1998
- The first judge case said that Consultation doesn’t mean It means that there is no binding on the President to accept the recommendation.
- The second judges case SC altered it’s previous order and said that Consultation means Concurrence i.e President must obey the recommendations of the Judges. It also said President should consult Chief Justice to India and Two other senior most judges of SC.
- In Third judge case SC reaffirmed the same as Second judges case but increased the number of consulting judges from two to four. From then onwards President appoints the judges after the consultation with the CJI and Four senior most judges and the consultation is binding on the President.
What is Collegium system?
A system in which decisions of appointment and other related aspects such as transfer of Judges in Supreme Court and High Courts are taken by a group of Judges.
Appointment of Judges in Supreme Court is done by a Collegium system consists of Chief Justice of India (CJI) and four senior most SC Judges.
Irregularities in Collegium system
- This system ensures Independence of the Judiciary but it works in an opaque manner and it is not accountable to anybody. It leads to nepotism and favoritism in the Judiciary
- Many reform measures have been recommended to the process of Judges appointment. National Judicial Appointment Committee (NJAC) is one among them.
- In 2015, Parliament passed 99th Constitutional Amendment Act, Through which NJAC was established.
- It is an alternative to the Collegium system in which judges are appointed by a committee that includes members from Judiciary, Legislation and Executive.
Composition of the NJAC
- Chief Justice of India
- 2 senior most judges of SC
- Union Minister of Law and Justice
- 2 Eminent persons to be nominated by a committee of CJI, Prime Minister, leader of the opposition in lol Sabha.
This method was received appreciation from the general public and from law experts but Supreme Court was not happy with this new method.
In October 2015, SC quashed NJAC and 99th Constitutional Amendment Act declaring it as Unconstitutional. The Apex court said that the Independent Judiciary is a part of the Basic Structure of the Constitution.
- Collegium system should be reformed without allowing Executive and Legislative bodies to intervene in.
- There should be a time frame for the government to implement Collegium decisions.
- Independency of the SC should be maintained but it should also be held accountable for the appointments it makes.