Art & Culture
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Tag: GS 3|| Environment || Biodiversity || Protected Area Network
Why in News?
- Maharashtra government is firm in ceding the Aarey forest land for metro projects.
- This has aggravated distress among civil society as the forest area falls under the eco-sensitive zone.
- The Bombay High Court recently dismissed a petition challenging the decision of the Brihan Mumbai Municipal Corporation’s Tree Authority to allow felling of 2,185 trees, and transplantation of 460, on a 33-hectare land at Aarey for the construction of a Metro rake depot.
- Aftermath widespread protests and section 144 imposed was imposed in Aarey area.
- Nearly 1,500 trees were chopped on Day 1.
Significance of Aarey forest
- It is considered to be Mumbai’s green lung which spreads over 1,300 hectares in the city’s northern suburb.
- It is home to several species of birds, insects and leopards, and was once part of the adjoining Sanjay Gandhi National Park.
- This forest was once used to be over 3,000 acres in north Mumbai has been reduced to around 1,300 acres.
Threats to the Aarey Forest
- The Aarey Milk Colony (also Aarey Colony) is a neighbourhood situated in Goregaon (East), a suburb of the city of Mumbai.
- The Aarey forest was developed as a milk colony for dairy development.
- In 1949, 3,160 acres were pencilled off for the Aarey Milk Colony, which comprised a milk factory, pastures for cattle grazing and residential units for labourers.
- It was established revolutionize the processing and marketing of dairy products in the city.
- In 1977, Film City was built on a part of Aarey forest. A zoo has also come upon another part of the Aarey forest. Now, there could be metro car shed
- 16,000 cattle are also reared on the land
- The colony also has gardens, a nursery, lakes, an observation pavilion, picnic facilities, and milk plants.
- Aarey is famous among nature enthusiasts for being the green lungs of the city.
Allocation of land in Aarey
- Total land given to the Central Government of India Institutions (Central Poultry Farm, Modern Bakery, NDDB, RBI)—229.92
- Total land given to the Maharashtra State Government Institutions (Mumbai Veterinary College, SRP, MHADA, MCGB, Film City, Fishery)—729.12
- Area under road and buildings—460.00
- Area uncultivated and wasteland under nallah, lake, farm bunds, farm roads, river channels—1,020.20
- Area under lawns and gardens, para grass, and orchards—537.00
- Land and the social forestry land, etc.—183.00
- Total—3,160 acre
- Land allotted to MMRCL –81 Acre
- MMRCL, the project proponent has already planted 20,900 trees with GPS tagging on each plant in Sanjay Gandhi National Park and the survival rate is 95%.
State Governments argument
- State government defended the project that they have a rehabilitation plan in place. The Metro will mitigate the carbon footprint. All environment assessments done.
- The underground metro project would mitigate carbon footprint to an extent that otherwise, we would require as many as 2 crore trees to be planted in Mumbai, which is impossible.
What will be the consequences of the government’s move?
- The developments in this area have consequences of the felling of over 2,185 trees.
- The metro car shed construction is expected to be declared as a high-security area which will rob enthusiasts of one of their favourite cycling or trekking venues.
- There are also concerns related to tribals who stay in Aarey and their rehabilitation
The example of the Delhi Metro
- People then protested against felling of trees for Delhi metro stations and metro line.
- But DMRC has planted 5 trees for every single tree that it has taken down.
- Operational Network- 377 km, Number of Stations -274
- Forest cover area has increased in Delhi.
- 30 lakh people are using the metro as public transport.
The politics of a jungle
- Congress-NCP members on Tree Authority of BMC helped BJP to allow tree cutting.
- In August 2019, the resolution was passed 8-6.
- Shiv Sena –Opposed and voted against
- Cong –boycotted the vote
- NCP –Supported BJP
- If both the opposition parties had opposed the resolution, it would have been rejected by 9-8.
Response to the pleas and protests
- The Supreme Court recorded an assurance given by the State of Maharashtra that no more trees will be felled in the Aarey forest for a Metro car shed till the next date of court hearing on October 21.
- The central government backs for Aarey tree felling and calls for development with environmental protection.
- In order to compensate the loss, MMRC has planted 23, 846 trees and distributed 25,000 saplings as a part of its green initiatives.
Mains model questions
- Deforestation rises with incomes in developing economies. Discuss