- Court-Supervised Mediation in Ayodhya Dispute
- India’s First Lokpal
- Lok Sabha elections 2019 Single Phase Vs Multiple Phase Election Which Is better for India
- Law Ministry amends Form 26
- Shillong Times Case, Apex Court stays Meghalaya High Court’s contempt order
- SC expands the scope of Right to Self Defence
- AIADMK Symbol dispute case
- Lok Sabha Election 2019
- Electoral Bonds Case
- What is Model Code of Conduct?
- President signs executive order to amend Constitution Order 1954
Governance & Social Justice
- 4th Global Digital Health Partnership Summit
- Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme
- Pradhan Mantri Shram-Yogi Maandhan
- Ayushman Bharat will not cover cataract ops, dialysis and normal deliveries
- HRD launched Operation Digital Board
- Rise in working age population in India
- Education outcomes in India ,Success of Haryana Model
- How to reduce Gender Gap in States ?
- West Nile Virus in India
- World Happiness Report 2019
- Alcohol ban by various States in India
- Deadly Swine Flu outbreak in India
- Drug price regulation in India
- Industrial Revolution 4.0 & Education ecosystem
- Issue of undernutrition in India
- Kerala’s Migration Issue
- Managing menstrual waste in India
- Global Influenza Strategy for 2019-2030
- India & Russia sign $3 billion nuclear submarine deal
- Pakistan FM will not attend OIC meeting over invitation to India OIC
- Argentina becomes 72nd country to sign solar agreement
- Trump – Kim Jong Un Summit Failed?
- Trump to End GSP for India
- India Myanmar Conduct Military Operations
- Next Dalai Lama to be born in India?
- Philippines US Mutual Defense Treaty Issue
- The World Gold Council Report 2019
- US to recognize Golan Heights as Part of Israel
- Italy’s plans to join China’s Belt and Road Initiative
- India in Organisation of Islamic Cooperation meeting
- USA College Admissions Scandal
- Why Pak Wants India Removed from FATF
- China blocks UN Action on Masood Azhar
- Sharada Peeth Corridor
- National Policy on Software Products 2019
- One Nation One Card
- Yuva Sahakar- Scheme for Enterpreneurs in Cooperatives
- The Food and Agriculture Organization Report On Monoculture
- National Mineral Policy 2019 – Indepth Analysis
- National Policy on Electronics 2019
- Swachh Survekshan 2019 Analysis
- Credit needs to boost growth in Economy
- Deceleration of Gross Value Added in Agriculture
- Globe Diesel Vehicle usage declines, Steps India need to take to stay ahead
- RBI drafts rules on Bank CEO Compensation
- What is a Trade Deficit? Is it good or bad for Economy?
- Issue of Job Crisis in India
- Quota based on Ethnicity
- Slowdown of Manufacturing Sector in Indian Economy
- Why India needs a Formal Agricultural Land Leasing Framework ?
- Promoting Farmers Producers Organizations
- Implications of Increase in Import Duties
- Quality electricity supply in India
- Rise of Contract Workforce in India
- Status of Rural Wages in past 5 years
- What is Tariff Rate Quota?
- Reassessing Fiscal Federalism in India
- What is Foreign Exchange Swap Auction?
- Evaluation of Disinvestment Program of Indian Government
- A Visionary Agricultural Policy
- Delhi HC Judgement on Slum dwellers
- Indian economy in a slowdown mode
- Urban Employment Guarantee Programme
Defence & Security
Science & Technology
- Artemis Mission
- Collaboration between ISRO and CNES
- India Successfully test fires Pinaka Rocket System
- Atmospheric Water Generator
- Making Aviation Fuel From Recycled Cooking Oil
- New challenge for Indelible Ink
- Pradhan Mantri Jl-VAN Yojana
- Why do Mig 21 Aircrafts crash so much?
- Inevitability of Coal Sector in India
- Anti Satellite Missile Test by India
- A-SAT India’s Anti Satellite Weapon
- Chinook heavy lift chopper
- Rhinos Sans Borders : New Delhi Declaration One-Horned Rhino
- Pangolins Are The Most Trafficked Mammals In The World
- Sunderban Reserve Forest to get Ramsar site status
- India Selects 106 coastal sites picked for conservation
- What is Forest Right Act ?
- World’s First Global Commitment to Curb Single Use Plastics
- Bumphead Parrot fish in Andaman under threat
- Indian Forest Act, 2019
- Homeless Hilsa
- Honey as a biomarker for pollution
- Global Environmental Outlook Report 2019
- NGT directs CPCB to prepare Noise Pollution map
- World Water Day 2019
- Forest Certification Scheme
Spice of the Month
Toppers Talk – Saumya Sharma | AIR-9 , CSE 2017
I am Saumya Sharma. I have scored AIR-9 in UPSC 2017. I graduated from National Law University, Delhi in 2017.
- Regarding newspapers, I used to read The Hindu before prelims, and post prelims I was reading The Indian Express in addition to The Hindu and made short notes from them.
- One should develop the habit of reading newspaper to clear this exam. Newspaper reading will be very helpful for the mains exam, my score in mains exam is better due to my newspaper reading habit.
If you want to clear UPSC exam then be ready for the hard work, cause there is no substitute for it.
The one thing that kept me motivated throughout my CSE preparation was ,if I will work hard now then I will get a platform to serve my country in a better way.
Daily Schedule and Routine
- Don’t copy schedule of anybody else, your routine will follow for you only.
- I can sit for long hours and study in one place and my schedule revolved around my studies , you should make a schedule that you can sustain for long duration.
- I have studied for 16 to 17 hours on a daily basis as I have started studying for prelims only 4 months before. I was very short of time and I had to do this as I didn’t have any other alternative.
- I will suggest you to don’t study for these many long hours as this will exhaust you, as you will be approaching prelims. I would recommend you to study for at least 8 hours daily.
- Dedication and focus are extremely important for the preparation for Civil Services Examination.
While I was preparing for the Civil Services Examination, I deactivated myself from all the social networking sites. If you have a goal in mind then it will be very easier for you to leave these social networking sites.
- Whether you want to take coaching or not it is a very subjective question. If your education base is not strong and you can’t sit at home and study, then you can definitely take coaching.
- I did not join any coaching, I referred to online material quite generously.
How to cover current affairs
- When I learned to read at the age of 3, newspapers were one of the first things I picked up to help me with my alphabets. So reading multiple newspapers for this exam came naturally to me.
- To write answers in mains exam it is important to have a good opinion, I read the editorial sections of The Hindu and The Indian Express.
- You can also prefer any good monthly magazine for current affairs.
- Talk shows are also important for CSE preparation, I used to watch Rajya Sabha Televisions show The Big Pitchers.
- Test series are very important and I cannot emphasize enough how much important test series are.
- I joined the online test series with Insights. I also practiced some of the Vision IAS preliminary mock tests. I think they are important for success, as one is able to practice attempting the examination in a controlled environment
- I have not taken any coaching, but I took various test series.
My mains experience of writing the exams with a 102-degree fever, with a cannula inserted in my left hand and getting IV drip injected thrice a day, taught me humility. My experience made me realize that despite the best of our planning, our efforts may not go the way we want them to. And in these circumstances, it is best that we put our best foot forward and face whatever life is throwing our way. The worst of circumstances are testing times that have the potential to reveal our inner strength and dedication towards our goal.
- At last, I want to say that you cannot give up no matter what happens. Self-confidence is very much required while preparing for CSE.
- People are already there to discourage you why are you discouraging yourself.
- Never stop believing in yourself. The only obstacle is a negative attitude. Remain positive, remain honest with yourself and your preparation. Take out time to do things you love, but never forget the target before you. Every second matter, so go ahead, seize the moment!