Governance & Social Justice
- Is it Unhealthy to Eat out in India?
- New National Education Policy
- SDG Gender Index 2019
- Self Help Group market linkages
- Supreme Court stops Maharashtra EWS quota
- Draft National Education Policy Controversy
- Acute Encephalitis Syndrome in muzaffarpur of bihar
- Private sector specialist in government jobs
- Abujh Maria PVTGs
- AWaRe: A WHO tool for safer use of antibiotics
- Digital Village Scheme 2.0
- Back to Village program in Jammu & Kashmir
- Child Labour in India – National Child Labour Project Scheme
- Operation Cleanup begins, Modi Government 2.0 dismisses corrupt officials
- 23rd St Petersburg International Economic Forum
- Will Financial Action Task Force put Pakistan in its Blacklist
- How powerful is the International Court of Justice?
- PM Modi in Maldives
- U.S. Now Requiring Social Media Details From All Visa Applicants
- United Nations Demands Britain To End Rule Of Chagos Islands In Six Months
- Chinese Language made Compulsory in Nepal
- Hong Kong Protests 2019
- India Invited to G-7 Summit
- PM Modi in Sri Lanka
- SCO Summit 2019
- Indian Navy Launches Operation Sankalp
- Iran shoots down US drone aircraft
- Pakistan Saved from FATF BlackList
- India warns of Commonwealth Games boycott
- Sudan political crisis
- Foreign Policy of India
- Modi 2.0, Ministry of External Affairs Opportunities & Challenges
- Guthi Bill protests in Nepal
- G 20 Summit 2019
- United Nation security council
- Agricultural self sustainability & food security of India
- Benefits of Cluster based modern Industry
- CBDT tweaks Income Tax rules for Senior Citizens
- Code on Wages Bill needs to be tweaked
- Custom Reforms in India
- Food processing in India
- Foreign Trade of India
- How to revive demand in Indian Economy?
- India’s Foreign Trade Slowdown
- India’s solar manufacturing strategy
- IndiGo Promoters Spat Controversy
- RBI’s revised circular on NPA
- Status of Self Employment in India
- What is Demographic Distress?
- What is Priority Sector Lending Limit?
- What is Strategic Overseas Fund?
- Jal Shakti Ministry launched
- India No Longer World’s Fastest Growing Economy
- Kolhapuri Chappal get Geographical Indication Tag
- Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project
- Government’s plan for Digital Payment in India
- Retail inflation at 7 month high
- What is Middle Income Trap?
- Wholesale Price Index Inflation hits 22 month low in May
- India & World Trade Organisation
- India USA Trade War
- RBI purchases Government Securities worth Rs 12500 Crore
- What are BASEL III norms?
- World Bank’s Global Economic Prospects Report
- SEBI new norms for Credit Rating Agencies
- Telecom Sector in India
- Chennai water crisis
- One Nation one ration card
- Railway testing Tri-Netra Technology
Defence & Security
Science & Technology
- Air Pollution and Human Health
- Chennai Salem Highway Case Controversy
- Global Concentration of Atmospheric CO2
- One Health Philosophy
- Arctic Kelps: Underwater forests in the Arctic
- India unlikely to meet carbon sink commitment
- Asiatic lion radio collaring
- Japan decides to start Commercial Whale Hunting
- Phayeng becomes first Carbon Positive village
- Fall Army Worm Attack in India
Tag:GS3 || Security || Internal security threats || Cyber security
Why in news ?
- The decision by U.S. President Trump to pull back from a retaliatory strike against Iran for the downing of a surveillance drone because there would be “too many deaths for a proportionate response” has been painted as a backtrack.
- Instead, “President Trump approved an offensive cyber strike that disabled computer systems used by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps to control rocket and missile launches.”
The cyber attack :
- The attack crippled computers used to control rocket and missile launches.
Operation Olympic Games :
- In 2010, the US and Israel used the so-called Stuxnet virus to disrupt centrifuges at an Iranian uranium enrichment facility.
- Stuxnet reportedly ruined almost one fifth of Iran’s nuclear centrifuges.
- Targeting industrial control systems, the worm infected over 200,000 computers and caused 1,000 machines to physically degrade.
United States Cyber Command :
- United States Cyber Command (USCYBERCOM) is one of ten unified commands of the United States’ Department of Defense. It unifies the direction of cyberspace operations, strengthens DoD cyberspace capabilities, and integrates and bolsters DoD’s cyber expertise.
- USCYBERCOM was created in mid-2009 at the National Security Agency (NSA) headquarters in Fort George G. Meade, Maryland. It cooperates with NSA networks and has been concurrently headed by the Director of the National Security Agency since its inception.
Cybersecurity: What india needs to do ?
- Recently Information and Technology (IT) Ministry has launched NIC- CERT with the objective of creating a comprehensive framework that integrates world-class security components and inbuilt threat intelligence for detection, prevention, and incident response.
- Since 2018, the military has been working behind the scenes to set up a force to handle cyber warfare, picked from from all corners of the Indian Air Force, the Army and the Navy with expertise in the domain to assist in such operations.
- The Defence Cyber Agency (DCA), coordinating with the National Cyber Security Advisor (NCSA) will work and has reportedly got around 1,000 people working out of the Army, Air Force and Navy.
- Cyber Surakshit Bharat Initiative: It was launched in 2018 with an aim to spread awareness about cybercrime and building capacity for safety measures for Chief Information Security Officers (CISOs) and frontline IT staff across all government departments.
- National Cyber security Coordination Centre (NCCC): In 2017, the NCCC was developed. Its mandate is to scan internet traffic and communication metadata (which are little snippets of information hidden inside each communication) coming into the country to detect real-time cyber threats.
- Cyber Swachhta Kendra: In 2017, this platform was introduced for internet users to clean their computers and devices by wiping out viruses and malware.