Governance & Social Justice
- Is it Unhealthy to Eat out in India?
- New National Education Policy
- SDG Gender Index 2019
- Self Help Group market linkages
- Supreme Court stops Maharashtra EWS quota
- Draft National Education Policy Controversy
- Acute Encephalitis Syndrome in muzaffarpur of bihar
- Private sector specialist in government jobs
- Abujh Maria PVTGs
- AWaRe: A WHO tool for safer use of antibiotics
- Digital Village Scheme 2.0
- Back to Village program in Jammu & Kashmir
- Child Labour in India – National Child Labour Project Scheme
- Operation Cleanup begins, Modi Government 2.0 dismisses corrupt officials
- 23rd St Petersburg International Economic Forum
- Will Financial Action Task Force put Pakistan in its Blacklist
- How powerful is the International Court of Justice?
- PM Modi in Maldives
- U.S. Now Requiring Social Media Details From All Visa Applicants
- United Nations Demands Britain To End Rule Of Chagos Islands In Six Months
- Chinese Language made Compulsory in Nepal
- Hong Kong Protests 2019
- India Invited to G-7 Summit
- PM Modi in Sri Lanka
- SCO Summit 2019
- Indian Navy Launches Operation Sankalp
- Iran shoots down US drone aircraft
- Pakistan Saved from FATF BlackList
- India warns of Commonwealth Games boycott
- Sudan political crisis
- Foreign Policy of India
- Modi 2.0, Ministry of External Affairs Opportunities & Challenges
- Guthi Bill protests in Nepal
- G 20 Summit 2019
- United Nation security council
- Agricultural self sustainability & food security of India
- Benefits of Cluster based modern Industry
- CBDT tweaks Income Tax rules for Senior Citizens
- Code on Wages Bill needs to be tweaked
- Custom Reforms in India
- Food processing in India
- Foreign Trade of India
- How to revive demand in Indian Economy?
- India’s Foreign Trade Slowdown
- India’s solar manufacturing strategy
- IndiGo Promoters Spat Controversy
- RBI’s revised circular on NPA
- Status of Self Employment in India
- What is Demographic Distress?
- What is Priority Sector Lending Limit?
- What is Strategic Overseas Fund?
- Jal Shakti Ministry launched
- India No Longer World’s Fastest Growing Economy
- Kolhapuri Chappal get Geographical Indication Tag
- Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project
- Government’s plan for Digital Payment in India
- Retail inflation at 7 month high
- What is Middle Income Trap?
- Wholesale Price Index Inflation hits 22 month low in May
- India & World Trade Organisation
- India USA Trade War
- RBI purchases Government Securities worth Rs 12500 Crore
- What are BASEL III norms?
- World Bank’s Global Economic Prospects Report
- SEBI new norms for Credit Rating Agencies
- Telecom Sector in India
- Chennai water crisis
- One Nation one ration card
- Railway testing Tri-Netra Technology
Defence & Security
Science & Technology
- Air Pollution and Human Health
- Chennai Salem Highway Case Controversy
- Global Concentration of Atmospheric CO2
- One Health Philosophy
- Arctic Kelps: Underwater forests in the Arctic
- India unlikely to meet carbon sink commitment
- Asiatic lion radio collaring
- Japan decides to start Commercial Whale Hunting
- Phayeng becomes first Carbon Positive village
- Fall Army Worm Attack in India
Tag: GS 2 || International Relations || India & Rest of the World || USA
Why In News?
- The United States government has updated visa application forms to require nearly all applicants to provide their social media usernames, email addresses, and phone numbers for the past five years. The requirement to provide the additional information is in line with the Donald Trump administration’s decision to ensure more stringent screening of potential immigrants and visitors to the United States.
Remittances To And From India By Country
In 2018, the US issued 10,06,802 non -immigrant visas to Indians, the third largest national group behind the Chinese and Mexicans, and amounting to a little over 11% of total non-immigrant visa issuances.
- The State Department is now requiring nearly all applicants for U.S. visas to submit their social media usernames, previous email addresses, and phone numbers.
- “National security is our top priority when adjudicating visa applications, and every prospective traveler and immigrant to the United States undergoes extensive security screening,” the department said.
- “We are constantly working to find mechanisms to improve our screening processes to protect U.S. citizens while supporting legitimate travel to the United States.”
Policy Under Obama
- The new requirement marks a shift away from the voluntary disclosure of social media profile information under the Barack Obama administration. The new mandatory policy announced by the Trump administration also monitors those already in the US, such as green card holders.
2015 San Bernardino Attack
- On December 2, 2015, 14 people were killed and 22 others were seriously injured in a terrorist attack consisting of a mass shooting and an attempted bombing at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California. The perpetrators, Syed Rizwan Farook, and Tashfeen Malik, a married couple living in the city of Redlands, targeted a San Bernardino County Department of Public Health training event and Christmas party of about 80 employees in a rented banquet room.
- News reports at the time said that the shooter, Rizwan Farook, had been posting violent messages under a pseudonym online.
- In the aftermath of the shooting, many Democrats also voiced approval of social media surveillance methods. President Obama too called upon technology companies to combat terrorist activities
- Why the US wants social media details of most visa applicants? What is the rationale behind and concerns regarding it?