Governance & Social Justice
- Is it Unhealthy to Eat out in India?
- New National Education Policy
- SDG Gender Index 2019
- Self Help Group market linkages
- Supreme Court stops Maharashtra EWS quota
- Draft National Education Policy Controversy
- Acute Encephalitis Syndrome in muzaffarpur of bihar
- Private sector specialist in government jobs
- Abujh Maria PVTGs
- AWaRe: A WHO tool for safer use of antibiotics
- Digital Village Scheme 2.0
- Back to Village program in Jammu & Kashmir
- Child Labour in India – National Child Labour Project Scheme
- Operation Cleanup begins, Modi Government 2.0 dismisses corrupt officials
- 23rd St Petersburg International Economic Forum
- Will Financial Action Task Force put Pakistan in its Blacklist
- How powerful is the International Court of Justice?
- PM Modi in Maldives
- U.S. Now Requiring Social Media Details From All Visa Applicants
- United Nations Demands Britain To End Rule Of Chagos Islands In Six Months
- Chinese Language made Compulsory in Nepal
- Hong Kong Protests 2019
- India Invited to G-7 Summit
- PM Modi in Sri Lanka
- SCO Summit 2019
- Indian Navy Launches Operation Sankalp
- Iran shoots down US drone aircraft
- Pakistan Saved from FATF BlackList
- India warns of Commonwealth Games boycott
- Sudan political crisis
- Foreign Policy of India
- Modi 2.0, Ministry of External Affairs Opportunities & Challenges
- Guthi Bill protests in Nepal
- G 20 Summit 2019
- United Nation security council
- Agricultural self sustainability & food security of India
- Benefits of Cluster based modern Industry
- CBDT tweaks Income Tax rules for Senior Citizens
- Code on Wages Bill needs to be tweaked
- Custom Reforms in India
- Food processing in India
- Foreign Trade of India
- How to revive demand in Indian Economy?
- India’s Foreign Trade Slowdown
- India’s solar manufacturing strategy
- IndiGo Promoters Spat Controversy
- RBI’s revised circular on NPA
- Status of Self Employment in India
- What is Demographic Distress?
- What is Priority Sector Lending Limit?
- What is Strategic Overseas Fund?
- Jal Shakti Ministry launched
- India No Longer World’s Fastest Growing Economy
- Kolhapuri Chappal get Geographical Indication Tag
- Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project
- Government’s plan for Digital Payment in India
- Retail inflation at 7 month high
- What is Middle Income Trap?
- Wholesale Price Index Inflation hits 22 month low in May
- India & World Trade Organisation
- India USA Trade War
- RBI purchases Government Securities worth Rs 12500 Crore
- What are BASEL III norms?
- World Bank’s Global Economic Prospects Report
- SEBI new norms for Credit Rating Agencies
- Telecom Sector in India
- Chennai water crisis
- One Nation one ration card
- Railway testing Tri-Netra Technology
Defence & Security
Science & Technology
- Air Pollution and Human Health
- Chennai Salem Highway Case Controversy
- Global Concentration of Atmospheric CO2
- One Health Philosophy
- Arctic Kelps: Underwater forests in the Arctic
- India unlikely to meet carbon sink commitment
- Asiatic lion radio collaring
- Japan decides to start Commercial Whale Hunting
- Phayeng becomes first Carbon Positive village
- Fall Army Worm Attack in India
Tag: GS 2 || International Relations|| Indian Foreign Policy|| Challenges of IFP
Why in news?
- Among the main challenges of the new External Affairs Minister will be to balance India’s relationships with the United States and Iran. There will be several other issues to manage, both in India’s neighbourhood and beyond.
- Pakistan: The challenge with Pakistan will be to open a window of opportunity while maintaining the official position that talks and terror cannot go together.
- Bangladesh: With Bangladesh, the goal will be to build on the successes of the past five years.
- BIMSTEC: The new Minister will also have to invest in the relationship with Nepal and the Maldives, and in BIMSTEC as a whole, which the Prime Minister has indicated as a priority.
- Border issues: There are a host of unresolved issues with Beijing, including the border dispute.
- Coherent strategy: The Ministry of External Affairs under its new leadership will have to coordinate with the Prime Minister’s Office and other government agencies to craft a coherent strategy towards managing the relationship.
- Informal summits: While the informal summits between the PM and the Chinese President will set the course, the Foreign Minister has to fill in the crucial gaps.
US & Russia
- While the relationship with the US is robust, contentious issues include trade and H1B visas, besides Iran.
- Potential US sanctions will be a factor as India seeks to enhance its longstanding strategic partnership with Russia, especially in defence, nuclear energy and space.
- New Delhi has reached a solid footing in its relationship with the Gulf countries as well as Israel in the last few years.
- Eight million Indians live and work in the Middle East, and the region is key to India’s energy security.
- The new Minister will have the task of keeping India’s relationships insulated from rivalries of the region.
- As India takes up a wider global leadership role in the G-20, SCO, BRICS, RIC, India-ASEAN, India-Africa Forum, a whole range of relationships will have to be pursued, with India’s core national interests on top at each of these groupings.
Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC)
- The BIMSTEC is an international organisation of seven nations of South Asia and South East Asia, housing 1.5 billion people and having a combined gross domestic product of $3.5 trillion (2018).
- The BIMSTEC member states—Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Nepal and Bhutan—are among the countries dependent on the Bay of Bengal.
- Fourteen priority sectors of cooperation have been identified and several BIMSTEC centres have been established to focus on those sectors.
- A BIMSTEC free trade agreement is under negotiation.
- Leadership is rotated in alphabetical order of country names.
- The permanent secretariat is in Dhaka.
- What are the challenges and opportunities that await the External Affairs Minister as the new government assumes office?