Art & Culture
Governance & Social Justice
- Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR)
- PIB Card initiative for Journalists
- The Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019
- IIT-Delhi scientists create ‘DotBook’
- Private member’s Bill calls for two-child norm
- Why snakebite should be health priority in India?
- Multidimensional Poverty Index 2019
- Pradhan Mantra Shram Yogi Mandhan (PMSYM) scheme
- Menstrual cups
- National Data Quality Forum (NDQF)
- American Military Base in Sri Lanka?
- Importance of Indo Pacific region
- India extended 28 billion dollar loan to 63 countries
- India Pakistan Airspace Issue
- Iran’s nuclear enrichment
- Japan South Korea Tensions
- Kulbhushan Jadhav Case Verdict
- New Chinese military base in Cambodia
- New Currency ECO in Africa
- Pakistan Reko Diq Case
- PM Modi at Russia’s Eastern Economic Forum 2019
- RCEP and CPTPP Difference explained
- Trump The First US President To Enter North Korea -Impact on Iran
- Turkey Out of F – 35 Programme by USA
- US adds Balochistan Liberation Army to terrorism
- Boris Johnson – New prime Minister of UK
- Iran UK ship hijack controversy
- Kartarpur corridor
- Saudi arabia become member of FATF
- Motor vehicles (amendment) bill 2019
- Benefits of Kisan Credit Card extended to fishermen
- Bimal jalan committee Report
- Nandan Nilekani committee Report
- National dairy plan funded by world
- Utkarsh 2022 by RBI
- What are BASEL 3 norms ?
- Global innovation index 2019
- 19th financial stability report by the Reserve Bank of India
- Corporate bond market in india
- How nudge theory of Richard thaler work in economy ?
- India’s first Overseas Bond
- Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana
- Reforming public sector bank of India
- SFURTI scheme
- The Goa government is planning to ply ‘water taxis’ in its inland waterways
- Sahiwal Cattle
Defence & Security
Science & Technology
- Uttarakhand to produce green power from pine needles
- Why is the litchi toxin causing deaths?
- Chandrayaan 2 launch by ISRO
- China’s Space Station Crashes on Earth – What is Tiangong 2
- Dragonfly Mission to explore Life on Titan
- INS Sagardhwani
- NASA’s Thirty Meter Telescope Controversy
- NASA’s PUNCH Mission to Study Sun and Space Weather
- Upgraded BrahMos missile
- Why Methane is Important for Life on Mars?
- WHO declares Sri Lanka measles free nation
- India develops new groundnut line with desirable oil quality
- Russia wants ban on Anti satellite weapon test
- DNA profiling bill
- Desert Locusts incursion in India
- How global warming could impact jobs in India?
- Immunocontraceptive Project of Environment Ministry
- Jalyukta Shivar Scheme
- Coral Rehabilitation Programme
- Feral dogs Menace in Ladakh
- Tamil Nadu’s State Butterfly Declared – Tamil yeoman
- Dracaena cambodiana : India’s first dragon blood-oozing tree
- Mediterranean sharks face risk of ‘disappearing’
- Tiger population increasing in India
- What is Blue Flag certification
- Masai giraffes declared endangered
Tag:GS2 || Polity || Other constitutional dimensions || Special provisions for some States
Why in news ?
- Nagaland government has decided to set up a Register of Indigenous Inhabitants of Nagaland (RIIN) with the aim of preventing fake indigenous inhabitants’ certificates.
- The RIIN will be the master list of all indigenous inhabitants of the state.
- The RIIN list will be based on “an extensive survey”.
- It will involve official records of indigenous residents from rural and (urban) wards and would be prepared under the supervision of the district administration.
- This provisional list will then be published in all villages, wards and on government websites by September 11, 2019.
What will the unique identity look like?
- All indigenous inhabitants of the state would be issued a barcoded and numbered Indigenous Inhabitant Certificate.
How will the list be prepared?
- It would be prepared under the supervision of the district administration.
- The preparation of the list will start from July 10, 2019, and the whole process will be completed within 60 days from the start.
- Designated teams of surveyors will be sent across each village and ward.
How will be the process be monitored?
- The entire exercise will be monitored by the Commissioner of Nagaland.
- In addition, the state government will designate nodal officers of the rank of a Secretary to the state government.
- Their role will be to monitor the implementation. However, they will have no say in the adjudication process.
How will the RIIN be updated?
- Once the RIIN is finalised, no fresh indigenous inhabitant certificates will be issued except to newborn babies born to the indigenous inhabitants of Nagaland.
What is an ILP?
- The process will be conducted across Nagaland and will be done as part of the online system of Inner Line Permit (ILP), which is already in force in Nagaland.
- Inner Line Permit (ILP) is an official travel document required by Indian citizens residing outside certain “protected” states while entering them.
- The ILP is issued by the Government of India and is obligatory for all those who reside outside the protected states. With the ILP, the government aims to regulate movement to certain areas located near the international border of India.
Origin of ILP:
- ILP’s origin dates back to the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulations, 1873, which protected the British Crown’s interest in tea, oil and elephant trade.
- It prohibited “British subjects” or Indians from entering into these protected areas.
- After Independence, in 1950, the word “British subjects” was replaced by Citizens of India and the focus of the ban on free movement was explained as a bid to protect tribal cultures in northeastern India.
- Currently, the Inner Line Permit is operational in Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram and Nagaland.
- It can be issued for travel purposes solely.
NRC experience in assam :
- The NRC experiment in Assam witnessed extremely divisive political posturing.
- The Assam experiment has no clear end-point.
- Bangladesh has repeatedly suggested that the process going on in Assam is “an internal matter” of India, implying that there is no deportation possibility here.
Way forward :
- It is unclear what the Nagaland government hopes to achieve through the exercise.
- In the complex demographies of North-Eastern States, it may prove to be difficult.
- The right to appeal and a humane hearing should be in-built in this exercise.
- In Nagaland, various local attempts have been made previously to determine non-locals, non-tribals and non-nagas. Two years ago, a town near Dimapur passed a resolution to place curbs on illegal Bangladeshi immigrants.
- RIIN should not become a vehicle to determine outsiders / insiders. It is expected to deepen the existing fault-lines.