Art & Culture
- 10% Quota for general category
- NITI Aayog proposes all India Judicial Service Examination
- CAG Report on government spending
- Need for Citizenship (Amendment) Bill
- Clause 6 of Assam accord : indepth analysis
- Collegium system for appointment of judges
- Fear of Executive Courts
- Tamilnadu Reservation Policy
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- Bhasha Sangam Program : Celebration of Linguistic Diversity
- Cabinet approves revision in list of scheduled tribes of Arunachal Pradesh
- Does India need a coal commission?
- Concerns in Ayushman Bharat
- Depression at workplaces : A major health issue in India
- How to bridge Gender gap in India : Mckinsey Global Institute Report
- Government plans to rename Indian Forest Service
- IGOT Program for Competent Civil Services
- Indian Medical Council Amendment Bill 2018
- National Commission for Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy
- Government bats for National Medical Devices Promotion Council
- Parental consent for vaccination
- India Signs Agreement with OECD for PISA 2021
- Kerala’s wall of resistance
- Should an IAS officer use Social Media?
- Social media addiction
- Legal Status for SSC
- Tripal Talaq Bill 2018
- Web Wonder Women Campaign by Ministry of WCD
- West Bengal Leaves Ayushman Bharat : In-depth Analysis
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Why Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank Is Important For India
- What Is The Asia Reassurance Initiative Act
- E-Passport for Indians
- What Is G-77
- Failed Coup In Gabon
- Bagladesh Election
- Powering South Asian Integration
- ISRO’S New Station In Bhutan
- Kenya Replace Pictures Of Leaders on Coins With Animal
- Macedonia Name Change
- Why Norway Is Important For India
- Why India Need Membership Of NSG
- Pakistan Declared A Hindu Temple A Heritage Site
- Raisina Dialogue 2019
- India’s Republic Day Guest
- India To Take Over Sittwe Port Operation In Myanmar
- U.S. Mexico Border
- US Government Shutdown
- US Venezuela Crisis
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- What is Angel Investment?
- Byorung Bridge
- India’s Airport Privatization Plan
- Rationalisation of GST Rates
- 1st Advance Estimates of Economic Growth by CSO
- Democracy Index 2018
- E-DRISHTI Software by Ministry of Railways
- What is GAFA tax
- Ganga Expressway to be Built in UP
- Green-Ag Project launched by India with UN FAO
- Issue of Tax Evasion under GST
- Improvements under GST Regime
- ICAT Certification for Automobilies
- What is Indian Bridge management System?
- Draft Information Technology Amendmenet Rules 2018
- Jamrani multipurpose DAM Project
- What is KALIA Scheme?
- MANDAL DAM
- Mega Merger!
- MSP for minor forest produce
- NITI Aayog suggestions on farm Economy
- India’s first vertical-lift Bridge
- Paradip Hyderabad pipeline
- Measures to address issues in Sugar industry
- Capital infusion in PSBs
- Renukaji dam
- PM Modi inaugrates Rice Research Institute
- Section 74 of the insolvency and Bankruptcy Code
- Social & Environmental Cost of Building dams
- Solar feeder Maharashtra model
- RBI Tokenisation
- Sikkim-Universal basic income
- Global Risks Report 2019
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- India to construct 44 strategic roads
- Tinsukia Killings : Indepth Analysis
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- China Sprouts First Seed on the Moon
- How Rise Of Renewable Energy Is Creating a New World
- DNA Technology
- Fall In Bitcoin Value In Depth Analysis
- NGARM Missile
- PSLV C-44 Successful
- Various Achievements Of Indian Scientist In 2018
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Why Beech Trees Dying
- Beat Plastic Pollution Resolve by India
- Why USA Is Killings California Sea Lions
- Carbon Tax
- China’s War On Particulate Air Pollution Is Causing More Serve Ozone Pollution
- CITES Washington Convention
- Coastal Regulation Zone
- Melting Ice Sheets And Release Of methane
- National Clean Air Programme Feature &Critical Analysis
- Oceans Are Heating Up 40% Faster Than Previous Estimates
- Revival Of Iran’s Lake Urmia
- India submitted sixth national report to Convention on Biological Diversity
- How Wild Fire Affect crop and vegetation Production
- NITI Aayog’s SDG Index
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Spice of the Month
This was Priyanka’s 4th attempt.
- Interviewer – How you feel Priyanka after cracking the UPSC exam?
Priyanka Shukla – I am very happy and want to thank my parents, friends, and teachers. It is not my sole effort, it was the blessing of all of them.
- Interviewer – Were you expecting this rank?
Priyanka Shukla – I was expecting a better rank, but my first choice was IPS only so I am happy with it.
- Interviewer – How your parents reacted to your rank?
Priyanka Shukla – I told my mom first, she was very happy and then my mom informed my dad on the phone as he was in village. It was a very emotional moment for everyone and my father started crying. It was like Diwali for us.
- Interviewer – How this IAS thing came to you?
Priyanka Shukla – Becoming an IAS officer was my very early childhood dream.
- Interviewer – Even after failing twice in prelims and 3rd time in mains, didn’t you got the feeling of quitting it?
Priyanka Shukla – I did not have any backup or plan B. I missed my Second attempt for the UPSC prelims exam by 2 marks. In 3rd attempt I could not clear the Mains exam, first time cleared prelims.
My parents had a trusted me for 4 long years in my UPSC journey.
On 10 Jan 2018 I missed an interview call by 77 marks still I stayed positive all that time. Did the objective analysis of my mistakes.
This year my marks were 81 above the cutoff. In the interview, I have scored 162.
- Interviewer – What is your cadre choice?
Priyanka Shukla – Madhya Pradesh is my first choice.
- Interviewer – You did not have the IIT or NIT degree. Were you not afraid of competition with IIT /NIT aspirants. As you have an engineering degree from a very normal college?
Priyanka Shukla- In starting my confidence was very down, but I sorted all the things after discussing it with my friends.
- Interviewer – When did you start your preparation from UPSC?
Priyanka Shukla – I started my preparation in June 2014, after giving my engineering 8th-semester exams and it took me 4 years for this preparation.
- Interviewer – How did you prepare for civil service?
Priyanka Shukla – First of all I made my basic booklist. Joined test series from 3rd attempt and gave 30-35 set for prelims. For Polity –Lakshmi Kant, Modern India –Spectrum, Geography – All CONCERTS Environment -Shankar IAS, Art, and Culture- Fine ARTS CONCERTS.
For Current affairs, I followed The Hindu Newspaper and prepared my own notes from the newspaper – revised them. I followed a monthly magazine of a reputed institute.
- Interviewer – What changes were made by you, that after failing in 2 prelims you cleared it the third time?
Priyanka Shukla – Earlier I used to be reluctance while reading from books and tried to take short cuts in learning, In 2015 I could not clear basic questions.
I sat and read (Polity –Lakshmi Kant, Modern India –Spectrum ) books religiously and then I could clear the exam.
- Interviewer – What was your strategy for mains exams?
Priyanka Shukla – I missed an interview by 72 marks in my third attempt. I had very fewer marks in the essay.
GS drew diagrams, pie charts, and graphs for better presentation.
- Interviewer – Did you practice answer writing?
Priyanka Shukla – I practiced answer writing a lot. It gave me a better understanding of the alignment of my content.
- Interviewer – What is your score in GS?
Priyanka Shukla –
- Paper 1- 98
- Paper 3-95
- Paper 4 – Ethics – 125 (highest 128)
Interviewer – What was your strategy for Ethics as you have scored very well in it?
Priyanka Shukla – Used quotes in many places. Quotes on happiness. Used easy and simple quotes. Quoted real-life examples.
- Interviewer – Tell us something about your optional subject Geography?
Priyanka Shukla – My score in my optional subject Geography is 301 and the highest is 324.
In 2017 my Geography marks were 206. Have confidence in yourself.
- Interviewer – How was your interview?
Priyanka Shukla – It was my first interview. I was scared at first. My Heartbeat was very fast. I Scored 162 in the interview. Be true to what you answer.
My interview was 35 minutes long and 40-44 questions were asked from which I could not answer 4-5 questions. Board was very cordial. Satyawati Board.
- Interviewer – What would you like to tell Hindi medium aspirants and how they should study?
Priyanka Shukla – I would be like to say that UPSC is not biased. Hindi literature aspirant got 345 in literature. The issue is only of content.
- Interviewer – Any message for girls?
Priyanka Shukla –Keep your confidence alive always. Parents should support children and there should be equality between boys and girls.
- Interviewer – What would be your responsibility for society?
Priyanka Shukla – This is a very big responsibility for me. I only want that whenever I get a transfer or retired from a particular place and when I look back I should be able to see positive changes made in someone’s life.
- Interviewer – Earlier you also had passion/experience for teaching? What is your experience in it?
Priyanka Shukla – In the 9th and 10th – I taught students at a young age.
I have also taught online, I felt great teaching students from every part of the country. I will try to continue it, like teaching in villages.
Education is the most democratic means of empowerment.