- 10% Quota for general category
- NITI Aayog proposes all India Judicial Service Examination
- CAG Report on government spending
- Need for Citizenship (Amendment) Bill
- Clause 6 of Assam accord : indepth analysis
- Collegium system for appointment of judges
- Fear of Executive Courts
- Tamilnadu Reservation Policy
Governance & Social Justice
- Bhasha Sangam Program : Celebration of Linguistic Diversity
- Cabinet approves revision in list of scheduled tribes of Arunachal Pradesh
- Does India need a coal commission?
- Concerns in Ayushman Bharat
- Depression at workplaces : A major health issue in India
- How to bridge Gender gap in India : Mckinsey Global Institute Report
- Government plans to rename Indian Forest Service
- IGOT Program for Competent Civil Services
- Indian Medical Council Amendment Bill 2018
- National Commission for Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy
- Government bats for National Medical Devices Promotion Council
- Parental consent for vaccination
- India Signs Agreement with OECD for PISA 2021
- Kerala’s wall of resistance
- Should an IAS officer use Social Media?
- Social media addiction
- Legal Status for SSC
- Tripal Talaq Bill 2018
- Web Wonder Women Campaign by Ministry of WCD
- West Bengal Leaves Ayushman Bharat : In-depth Analysis
- Why Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank Is Important For India
- What Is The Asia Reassurance Initiative Act
- E-Passport for Indians
- What Is G-77
- Failed Coup In Gabon
- Bagladesh Election
- Powering South Asian Integration
- ISRO’S New Station In Bhutan
- Kenya Replace Pictures Of Leaders on Coins With Animal
- Macedonia Name Change
- Why Norway Is Important For India
- Why India Need Membership Of NSG
- Pakistan Declared A Hindu Temple A Heritage Site
- Raisina Dialogue 2019
- India’s Republic Day Guest
- India To Take Over Sittwe Port Operation In Myanmar
- U.S. Mexico Border
- US Government Shutdown
- US Venezuela Crisis
- What is Angel Investment?
- Byorung Bridge
- India’s Airport Privatization Plan
- Rationalisation of GST Rates
- 1st Advance Estimates of Economic Growth by CSO
- Democracy Index 2018
- E-DRISHTI Software by Ministry of Railways
- What is GAFA tax
- Ganga Expressway to be Built in UP
- Green-Ag Project launched by India with UN FAO
- Issue of Tax Evasion under GST
- Improvements under GST Regime
- ICAT Certification for Automobilies
- What is Indian Bridge management System?
- Draft Information Technology Amendmenet Rules 2018
- Jamrani multipurpose DAM Project
- What is KALIA Scheme?
- MANDAL DAM
- Mega Merger!
- MSP for minor forest produce
- NITI Aayog suggestions on farm Economy
- India’s first vertical-lift Bridge
- Paradip Hyderabad pipeline
- Measures to address issues in Sugar industry
- Capital infusion in PSBs
- Renukaji dam
- PM Modi inaugrates Rice Research Institute
- Section 74 of the insolvency and Bankruptcy Code
- Social & Environmental Cost of Building dams
- Solar feeder Maharashtra model
- RBI Tokenisation
- Sikkim-Universal basic income
- Global Risks Report 2019
Science & Technology
- Why Beech Trees Dying
- Beat Plastic Pollution Resolve by India
- Why USA Is Killings California Sea Lions
- Carbon Tax
- China’s War On Particulate Air Pollution Is Causing More Serve Ozone Pollution
- CITES Washington Convention
- Coastal Regulation Zone
- Melting Ice Sheets And Release Of methane
- National Clean Air Programme Feature &Critical Analysis
- Oceans Are Heating Up 40% Faster Than Previous Estimates
- Revival Of Iran’s Lake Urmia
- India submitted sixth national report to Convention on Biological Diversity
- How Wild Fire Affect crop and vegetation Production
- NITI Aayog’s SDG Index
Spice of the Month
- GS 2 ||Governance|| Human Development||Health
Why in News?
- The Delhi High Court recently put on hold the Delhi government’s plan for a Measles, Rubella (MR) vaccination campaign in schools.
- The court said the decision did not have the consent of parents,introducing the question of consent in vaccination.
- The measles, rubella (MR) vaccine was introduced in the universal immunization program.
- It has to be administered to all children between ages 9 months and 15 years.
- But those who did not get it earlier are also vaccinated and before they reach the reproductive age group.
- The vaccine being given in the MR campaign is produced in India and is WHO prequalified.
- MR vaccine is safe and effective, and in use for over 40 years across 150 countries.
- It is being given in the routine immunisation programme of India and in neighbouring countries like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Myanmar.
- Private practitioners in India have been giving measles-rubella (MR) or measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine to children for many years.
Matter of Dignity
- The petitioners settled principle that the choice of an individual,even in cases of life –saving medical treatment, is an inextricable part of dignity which is ought to be protected.
Why is it crucial?
- India had around 56,399 confirmed measles cases and 1,066 confirmed rubella cases in 2018.
- Measles is a serious and highly contagious disease that can cause debilitating or fatal complications.
- These include encephalitis, severe diarrhoea and dehydration, pneumonia, ear infections and permanent vision loss.
- The disease is preventable through two doses of vaccine.
- Congenital Rubella Syndrome (CRS) is an important cause of severe birth defects.
Why is the court’s order a welcome move?
- Obtaining parental consent prior to vaccination is the standard practice around the world.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) recognises oral, written, and implied consent to vaccination.
- A WHO survey in 2012 in 34 countries on consent procedures for vaccination in 6-17-year-olds found approximately half the countries using written consent.
- WHO insists that countries are encouraged to adopt procedures that ensure that parents have been informed and agreed to the vaccination.
- Vaccination has been always a voluntary process, and there is never a compulsion involved.
- Vaccines should be administered after people are sensitised about the disease and vaccine.
- Vaccination has been always a voluntary process, and there should not involve compulsion.
- Vaccines should be administered after people are sensitized about the disease and vaccine.
- What is an MR and its vaccines? Discuss the hurdles in immunization programme.