Magazine

English Hindi

Index

Governance & Social Justice

International Relations

Economy

Economy

MANDAL DAM

MANDAL DAM

Relevance

  • GS3 || Economy || Infrastructure || Power

 Why in news?

  • Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently in Jan 2019 inaugurated six irrigation projects in Jharkhand’s Palamu, Garhwa and Chatra districts.
  • The projects include Rs 2,391.36 crore Mandal dam that will provide irrigation to 19,604 hectare in Palamau and Garhwa districts

 Importance

  • The ambitious Mandal dam, work on which began in 1972, but has been stalled since 1993, will be built on North Koel river under Barwadih block in Latehar district.

 Why the long delay?

  • Due to presence of Betla National Park and Palamau Tiger Reserve.
  • The construction was originally started in the year 1972 and continued till 1993 when it was stopped by the Forest Department, Govt. of Bihar. Since then, the work on dam is at a standstill.
  • The Palamu Tiger Reserve is one of the nine original tiger reserves in India and the only one in the state of Jharkhand, India. It forms part of Betla National Park and Palamu Wildlife Sanctuary.

 About Mandal dam

  • Mandal dam originally intended to store 1160 million cubic metre (MCM) water; 819.6 m long barrage at Mohammadganj, 96 km downstream of the dam; and two canals originating from left and right banks of Mohammadganj Barrage with distributaries system for irrigation. With the new lowered elevation level (EL) of 341 metre, the Mandal dam will now have storage of 190 MCM.

 Funding of the project

  • 60% of the project cost would be financed by the central government as a grant from Long-Term Irrigation Fund (LTIF) under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY). Remaining 40% will be borne by the States through loan financed by NABARD.

 Additional information – About North Koel River

  • North Koel River originates on Ranchi plateau in Jharkhand and joins the Sone River, a few miles north-west of Haidarnagar in Jharkhand. The river meanders through the northern part of Betla National Park. The principal tributaries of the North Koel River are Auranga and the Amanat.