Art & Culture
- 10% Quota for general category
- NITI Aayog proposes all India Judicial Service Examination
- CAG Report on government spending
- Need for Citizenship (Amendment) Bill
- Clause 6 of Assam accord : indepth analysis
- Collegium system for appointment of judges
- Fear of Executive Courts
- Tamilnadu Reservation Policy
- Right to access internet is fundamental right declares Kerala High Court
- Legal rights of Deities in India, Difference in Natural and Juristic Person
- Bru refugees refuse to return to Mizoram
- No animal sacrifice in Tripura temple-Orders High Court
- EC’s Order on Reducing Sikkim CM’s Disqualification Period
- Law Ministry issues corrigendum to Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act
- Appointment of the Judges in India.
- New Chief Justice of India- How is CJI appointed?
- Indian Penal Code 1860, HM Amit Shah wants to Overhaul IPC
- National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- Whistle Blowers Allegations on Infosys
Governance & Social Justice
- Bhasha Sangam Program : Celebration of Linguistic Diversity
- Cabinet approves revision in list of scheduled tribes of Arunachal Pradesh
- Does India need a coal commission?
- Concerns in Ayushman Bharat
- Depression at workplaces : A major health issue in India
- How to bridge Gender gap in India : Mckinsey Global Institute Report
- Government plans to rename Indian Forest Service
- IGOT Program for Competent Civil Services
- Indian Medical Council Amendment Bill 2018
- National Commission for Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy
- Government bats for National Medical Devices Promotion Council
- Parental consent for vaccination
- India Signs Agreement with OECD for PISA 2021
- Kerala’s wall of resistance
- Should an IAS officer use Social Media?
- Social media addiction
- Legal Status for SSC
- Tripal Talaq Bill 2018
- Web Wonder Women Campaign by Ministry of WCD
- West Bengal Leaves Ayushman Bharat : In-depth Analysis
- 60% girls in Delhi colleges anaemic
- Niti aayog’s School education quality index
- Multipurpose National Identity Card
- Population pyramid : India Vs China, Demographic dividend Phase of India
- UN Population Report, India will become the most populous country by 2027
- Supreme Court upholds SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendments Act
- Comparing Population Pyramids of India and China
- Waqf boards-Their governance and purpose
- Harvard Admissions Case
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ist Anniversary, Problems and solutions
- Significance of sexual and Reproductive Health-Status of reproductive services in India
- Pregnancy in Old Age, What is In Vitro Fertilisation-Risks and legal shortcomings
- Supreme Court Judgement on NGOs and RTI
- Social Stock Exchange
- Rajasthan Govt changes EWS norms, Sets Rs 8 lakh family income as only criteria
- Global hunger index 2019
- No Government job for those with more than two kids
- Ranitidine CANCER risk
- IIT Council Introduces Tenure track system
- Why Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank Is Important For India
- What Is The Asia Reassurance Initiative Act
- E-Passport for Indians
- What Is G-77
- Failed Coup In Gabon
- Bagladesh Election
- Powering South Asian Integration
- ISRO’S New Station In Bhutan
- Kenya Replace Pictures Of Leaders on Coins With Animal
- Macedonia Name Change
- Why Norway Is Important For India
- Why India Need Membership Of NSG
- Pakistan Declared A Hindu Temple A Heritage Site
- Raisina Dialogue 2019
- India’s Republic Day Guest
- India To Take Over Sittwe Port Operation In Myanmar
- U.S. Mexico Border
- US Government Shutdown
- US Venezuela Crisis
- Bangladesh growing faster than India ?
- Cyprus dispute explained
- Donald Trump impeachment
- India wins Hyderabad Nizam case against Pakistan
- India’s reply to Pakistan at UNGA
- Prime Minister of Malaysia calls India and invader in Kashmir
- Should India recognise the armenian genocide ?
- Why are CARICOM countries important for India ?
- Why are countries leaving OPEC ?
- Attacks on Saudi Oil facilities
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation issues statement on Jammu and Kashmir
- Sri Lanka’s relations with India & China
- US troops start pullout in Syria as Turkey prepares for operation
- What are Vanilla Islands?
- India-USA trade deal
- UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award-2019
- Modi – Xi Informal meet at Mamallapuram – Historic Chinese links
- India China informal summit in Tamil nadu
- Pakistan save from FATF blacklist till 2020
- USA blacklists China organisations over Uighur Muslim abuse
- Why is Chile burning ?
- Why is the Philippines important for India
- Xi jinping Nepal visit 2019 and impact on India
- India Pakistan Cross LOC Trade suspended, Should India revoke suspension?
- Protests in Lebanon
- Chennai to Vladivostok Sea Route
- End of baghdadi
- Indian government’s security advisory
- Indians no longer require Visa to visit Brazil
- Non Aligned Movement 2019 summit
- US backed Ceasefire between Turkey and Kurds
- Pakistan stops postal exchange with India
- China’s GDP growth slows to 6% slowest in 27 years
- Common Goods for Health project by WHO
- Turkey attack Kurds in Syria
- What is Angel Investment?
- Byorung Bridge
- India’s Airport Privatization Plan
- Rationalisation of GST Rates
- 1st Advance Estimates of Economic Growth by CSO
- Democracy Index 2018
- E-DRISHTI Software by Ministry of Railways
- What is GAFA tax
- Ganga Expressway to be Built in UP
- Green-Ag Project launched by India with UN FAO
- Issue of Tax Evasion under GST
- Improvements under GST Regime
- ICAT Certification for Automobilies
- What is Indian Bridge management System?
- Draft Information Technology Amendmenet Rules 2018
- Jamrani multipurpose DAM Project
- What is KALIA Scheme?
- MANDAL DAM
- Mega Merger!
- MSP for minor forest produce
- NITI Aayog suggestions on farm Economy
- India’s first vertical-lift Bridge
- Paradip Hyderabad pipeline
- Measures to address issues in Sugar industry
- Capital infusion in PSBs
- Renukaji dam
- PM Modi inaugrates Rice Research Institute
- Section 74 of the insolvency and Bankruptcy Code
- Social & Environmental Cost of Building dams
- Solar feeder Maharashtra model
- RBI Tokenisation
- Sikkim-Universal basic income
- Global Risks Report 2019
- Behavioural Aspect of Farmer Suicide
- Is rural India really open defecation free ?
- Global Growth Slow Down
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- SBI wrote off bad loans worth 76,000 crores
- Surge in Onion Price
- Agriculture Credit by RBI’s Internal Working Group
- What is Debt to GDP Ratio?
- Yes Bank Crisis
- Nobel prize in Literature – Controversy
- Boosting Indian Exports
- Sopore Fruit Mandi deserted
- What is Pink Collarisation?
- Mizoram to have Broad Gauge railway line by 2021
- Demand downturn in Indian Economy
- Payment facilitation fund
- Participatory Guarantee Scheme
- RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20
- Tourism restrictions lifted in Kashmir
- Link between Jobs, Farming, and Climate
- Draft Social Security Code 2019
- State Tax Revenues, SGST and Central Tax Devolution are likely to fall short
- Competitiveness Index 2019 by World Economic Forum
- NITI Aayog’s Water Resources Strategy
- BSNL and MTNL financial issues-DoT prepares Rs 74000 crore revival plan
- 20th Livestock Census
- India falls 10 ranks in World economic forum’s Global competitiveness index
- RBI stops Printing Rs 2000 Notes
- What is the Unified Approach proposal of OECD?
- FCI granaries overflowing
- India’s Economic Growth 2019
- Financial Sector Scams in India
- Labour Market of India
- New Strategic Disinvestment Process
- Payment Delays to Sugarcane Farmers
- Why India’s IMF Quota is not increased
- What is monetary policy Transmission? Why banks are not reducing interest
- Mahatma Gandhi’s theory of Economics
- India moves up 14 spots to 63 on world Bank ease of doing business index
- New amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act
- Power Sector Scenario in India
- Telecos to Pay Rs 96,642 crore to the Government
- Camel population declines in Rajasthan
- Merger of BSNL and MTNL
- World bank on Indian economy
Defence & Security
- India to construct 44 strategic roads
- Tinsukia Killings : Indepth Analysis
- Nagas Kukis Conflict, What is the cause of the latest tensions?
- Case against 50 Celebrities controversy
- Can Indian Government intercept WhatsApp?
- UP Government fires 25000 home guards, Is Yogi Government’s decision justified?
- NCRB’s Crime in India 2017 report
- Aadhaar Social Media mandatory linking case
- What is TechSagar? National repository of India’s cyber tech capabilities.
Science & Technology
- China Sprouts First Seed on the Moon
- How Rise Of Renewable Energy Is Creating a New World
- DNA Technology
- Fall In Bitcoin Value In Depth Analysis
- NGARM Missile
- PSLV C-44 Successful
- Various Achievements Of Indian Scientist In 2018
- ISRO’S Project NETRA
- Facebook’s LIBRA Currency in trouble
- WHO launches first World report on Vision
- 2019 Nobel prize in physics
- 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology and Medicine
- Elon musk’s starlink project
- NASA’s ICON mission
- New King of the Moons in the Solar system is Saturn
- What Is Spectroscopy ?
- Quantum supremacy
- Why Beech Trees Dying
- Beat Plastic Pollution Resolve by India
- Why USA Is Killings California Sea Lions
- Carbon Tax
- China’s War On Particulate Air Pollution Is Causing More Serve Ozone Pollution
- CITES Washington Convention
- Coastal Regulation Zone
- Melting Ice Sheets And Release Of methane
- National Clean Air Programme Feature &Critical Analysis
- Oceans Are Heating Up 40% Faster Than Previous Estimates
- Revival Of Iran’s Lake Urmia
- India submitted sixth national report to Convention on Biological Diversity
- How Wild Fire Affect crop and vegetation Production
- NITI Aayog’s SDG Index
- Climate Vulnerable Mapping Of India
- C40 Cities
- Gujarat Unveils emission trading scheme
- Forest Plus 2.0
- Himalayan States seeks Green Bonus
- India to Phase Out Single Use Plastic (SUP) by 2022
- Role of Volcanoes in Global Warming
- NH 766 ban controversy, Protests in Kerala against night traffic ban on the forest stretch
- Climate Change needs Global Solution
- Aarey Forest -2185 trees to be cut for Mumbai metro
- Government to build 1400 km long Green wall
- Graded Response Action Plan in Delhi
- Aerosol formation brightening clouds
- Anthrax outbreak in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Two affected buffaloes died
- Species in News from June to October 2019
- Climate Action Summit 2019
Spice of the Month
Toppers Talk – Sachin Gupta | UPSC Topper AIR-3
Sachin has topped in UPSC exam 2017 with all India rank of 3. Sachin’s father Mr. Sudharshan Gupta has a business in agriculture. Sachin’s mom Mrs. Sushma Gupta is a teacher in a primary school.
Sachin did his Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering from Thapar University (Patiala) in 2013.
In his first attempt in 2015 he couldn’t clear the Mains.
In the second attempt (2016) of UPSC, Sachin scored 575th rank and secured himself in the India Corporate Law Service.
In 2017 Sachin secured 3rd rank in his third attempt.
Question– From where the inspiration came to prepare for UPSC and there is a story from your parents that you were very motivated by Lal Bahadur Shastri. You appeared in the CAPF exam, but you couldn’t clear it, had you got frustrated that time?
Sachin: Frustration is part of the whole process, and this phase comes to everyone, I also feltlike this thousand times and sometimes I used to think whether I will ever be able to come out of this vicious cycle or not.
In 2016, I appeared in CAPF and I had this belief that I will get through it. But, unfortunately I was not able to clear the physical round of it and I went into depression because of it.
Don’t let this depression phase become your stumbling part.
I had studied in DAV School and studied about Swami Vivekanand and many other leaders.
I think it is important to learn ethics and morality as their level is decreasing day by day.
Teachers in our school used to give us motivational messages on a daily basis based on these legendary leaders.
Question– From where this inspiration of getting into Civil Services came to you?
Sachin– I appeared in IIT-JEE, cracked it, but not able to a get a good rank, so my father said that you just need to get a good college, and you can clear UPSC afterwards, that was the first time I heard about UPSC.
Question– I have heard that you have taught weaker sections and underprivileged sections.
Sachin-When I was in the final year of my college and was done with placements, I had a lot of free time. One of my friends called me to the college organization Pratigya. As I like maths a lot, I taught mathematics to the underprivileged students. I was shocked to see that student of 5th standard was not able to get simple concepts of maths like subtraction and addition. I think government schools indispensably need to be rectified.
Question-From where you started your preparation of the study and what to study?
Sachin– I had worked for Maruti for two years (2013-2015). When I first landed to Old Rajindra Nagar for books, I was appalled, as everywhere you look you can find books and students.
I did the course in Ethics, cause I used to find it tough.
I started my preparation for UPSC from the internet. I used to follow Mrunal’s YouTube channel in the beginning and completed Economics and Geography from Mrunal. Hence, I completed my basics for NCERT.
I watched your video (Ravi Agrahari) in Science and Technology.
One advice that I would like to give is to leave your preparation of Mains Answers’ writing before 2 months of prelims.
Scheduling your time is very important with defined targets.
Question-How to develop writing answers for the Mains?
Sachin – Grammar and Spellings should be correct. I went to Insight IAS, Bangalore for answer writing practice. There was an elevation of 80 marks in my third attempt.
My advice to the aspirants is to go to Insights (Banglore) only when you are completely done with your preparations. You will not get time to study there by self, cause you have to give 3 tests in a week.
Question – Can you brief about Indian Corporate Law Service?
Sachin – This is a new service, started in 2010 through UPSC. Earlier it was through lateral hiring. Work content of this job is very good. The balance sheets of companies are being opened and we have to analyze whether the annual reports are correct or not, whether the money of shareholders is utilized properly or not.
I put the preference of these 6 services as follows:
- Auditor account
Question – How did you prepare your notes?
Sachin – I didn’t make any notes. In the beginning I used to prepare PPT’s for my topics and used to revise the same later.
What I found similar to the strategy of the top 25 rankers is that they picked a singular topic and covered it completely. Suppose, I pick a topic NGO. Now covering everything about it, from facts, important case studies, controversies, all the technical terms related to it.
Question– What are your choices for the Cadre.
Sachin – I have kept
- Haryana in Zone 1
- Maharashtra in Zone 2
- Jharkhand in Zone 3
- Telangana in Zone 4
- Assam, Meghalaya in Zone 5
Question– How many of your questions in interview were related to Indian Corporate Law Service?
Sachin – 50% of my interview questions were related to Indian Corporate Law Service, one of the panel members was amazed by listening about Indian Corporate Law Service and wanted to know more about it.
The questions asked were mainly opinion based. Some questions were from banking reforms, artificial intelligence, international relations and agriculture.
Question – Was there any more inspiration in the meanwhile?
Sachin – One of my seniors from the school had cleared NDA and joined the Indian Army. He gave me a very clear idea about the army that the job is very nice and has a ‘work-life balance’ thing.
I appeared in eight SSBs in the past but couldn’t clear.
Question – I have heard that you are very much inspired by your father, what would you like to say on this.
Sachin-If I become 10% of my father, I think I will make a dent in life and the world.
My father used to reimburse the fees of the workers’ children who used to work for my father. My father have always supported a lot to me.
My hobby is playing cricket. I have taken my inspiration from Sachin Tendulkar, I have read a lot about him in his books. I have read his biographies and autobiography and they are very inspirational to me. One thing that I have learned that It is very important that you rise after every fall.
Question– What preparation tips would you like to give to students?
Sachin – I gave UPSC prelims thrice and cleared prelims every time.
I used to get nervous and uneasy one day before the exam and this is a normal thing. Plan out everything. What you have to do is believe in yourself and perform your best in the exam. Don’t worry, just relax.
After giving mains for the first time, I thought that there might be some problem with my optional and I should change it.
- First time appearing in UPSC, I had public administration as optional and could not clear the Mains by 10 marks.
- In second attempt I changed my optional to anthropology and secured 311 marks.
- In the third attempt having anthropology as an optional I got 339 marks (the highest marks was 350).
I had an average score in General Studies and my score in Essay was not up to the mark, it was 118.
I went to Banglore(Insight IAS) and used to write answers daily and gave the tests on alternative days.
In the second attempt I got 406 in General studies and in the third attempt I got 456.
In the second attempt I got 118 in Essay and in the third attempt I got 141.
Majorly 80 marks elevation was there in the results.
Now, the biggest hurdle that came into my way was of the personality test. The personality test motive is to see how much you know yourself, e.g. why are you coming into the system, you should have the clarity of what you are doing, you should have a clear picture of everything with whatever you have done in your life.
If you have cleared the Mains (UPSC), you must have knowledge of giving answers to opinion based questions. Some channels like, Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, All India Radio will help you a lot in it.
Question – What would you like say to the Hindi medium students? I have seen, out of 1200 students in a coaching of UPSC (in Hindi) in an institute only 3 were selected. What is your opinion on this?
Sachin – I would like to say that, take this fact out of your mind that it is difficult for Hindi medium students to crack UPSC.
You have to do the preparation for yourself. It’s all about you, don’t copy. Everyone is unique.
I would like to share an example of 424th UPSC ranker Ankurjeet SA (Specially Abled Person) category he has prepared from the Audiobooks.
Women’s play a very important part of our lives, equality should be maintained with everyone, whether it is a boy or girl. Girls bring positiveness in our lives.
Thank You Sachin and all the best for your future from Study IQ family.
Moving towards Sachin’s parents
Mother – He was very quiet and innocent, her sister helped him a lot. They all were very bonded to each other.
Father– He was always very confident and diligent in his preparation.
We are very happy with this news.
There should be no differentiation between girls and boys.