- 10% Quota for general category
- NITI Aayog proposes all India Judicial Service Examination
- CAG Report on government spending
- Need for Citizenship (Amendment) Bill
- Clause 6 of Assam accord : indepth analysis
- Collegium system for appointment of judges
- Fear of Executive Courts
- Tamilnadu Reservation Policy
Governance & Social Justice
- Bhasha Sangam Program : Celebration of Linguistic Diversity
- Cabinet approves revision in list of scheduled tribes of Arunachal Pradesh
- Does India need a coal commission?
- Concerns in Ayushman Bharat
- Depression at workplaces : A major health issue in India
- How to bridge Gender gap in India : Mckinsey Global Institute Report
- Government plans to rename Indian Forest Service
- IGOT Program for Competent Civil Services
- Indian Medical Council Amendment Bill 2018
- National Commission for Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy
- Government bats for National Medical Devices Promotion Council
- Parental consent for vaccination
- India Signs Agreement with OECD for PISA 2021
- Kerala’s wall of resistance
- Should an IAS officer use Social Media?
- Social media addiction
- Legal Status for SSC
- Tripal Talaq Bill 2018
- Web Wonder Women Campaign by Ministry of WCD
- West Bengal Leaves Ayushman Bharat : In-depth Analysis
- Why Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank Is Important For India
- What Is The Asia Reassurance Initiative Act
- E-Passport for Indians
- What Is G-77
- Failed Coup In Gabon
- Bagladesh Election
- Powering South Asian Integration
- ISRO’S New Station In Bhutan
- Kenya Replace Pictures Of Leaders on Coins With Animal
- Macedonia Name Change
- Why Norway Is Important For India
- Why India Need Membership Of NSG
- Pakistan Declared A Hindu Temple A Heritage Site
- Raisina Dialogue 2019
- India’s Republic Day Guest
- India To Take Over Sittwe Port Operation In Myanmar
- U.S. Mexico Border
- US Government Shutdown
- US Venezuela Crisis
- What is Angel Investment?
- Byorung Bridge
- India’s Airport Privatization Plan
- Rationalisation of GST Rates
- 1st Advance Estimates of Economic Growth by CSO
- Democracy Index 2018
- E-DRISHTI Software by Ministry of Railways
- What is GAFA tax
- Ganga Expressway to be Built in UP
- Green-Ag Project launched by India with UN FAO
- Issue of Tax Evasion under GST
- Improvements under GST Regime
- ICAT Certification for Automobilies
- What is Indian Bridge management System?
- Draft Information Technology Amendmenet Rules 2018
- Jamrani multipurpose DAM Project
- What is KALIA Scheme?
- MANDAL DAM
- Mega Merger!
- MSP for minor forest produce
- NITI Aayog suggestions on farm Economy
- India’s first vertical-lift Bridge
- Paradip Hyderabad pipeline
- Measures to address issues in Sugar industry
- Capital infusion in PSBs
- Renukaji dam
- PM Modi inaugrates Rice Research Institute
- Section 74 of the insolvency and Bankruptcy Code
- Social & Environmental Cost of Building dams
- Solar feeder Maharashtra model
- RBI Tokenisation
- Sikkim-Universal basic income
- Global Risks Report 2019
Science & Technology
- Why Beech Trees Dying
- Beat Plastic Pollution Resolve by India
- Why USA Is Killings California Sea Lions
- Carbon Tax
- China’s War On Particulate Air Pollution Is Causing More Serve Ozone Pollution
- CITES Washington Convention
- Coastal Regulation Zone
- Melting Ice Sheets And Release Of methane
- National Clean Air Programme Feature &Critical Analysis
- Oceans Are Heating Up 40% Faster Than Previous Estimates
- Revival Of Iran’s Lake Urmia
- India submitted sixth national report to Convention on Biological Diversity
- How Wild Fire Affect crop and vegetation Production
- NITI Aayog’s SDG Index
Spice of the Month
- GS 2 || Governance || Adminstrative Bodies || Regulatory
Why in News?
- Lok Sabha passes Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Bill, 2018
- The Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Bill, 2018 that aims to run the scam-tainted Medical Council of India (MCI) through a panel of eminent professionals.
Basic Info-Medical Council of India
- The Medical Council of India (MCI) is the statutory body for establishing uniform and high standards of medical education in India. The Council grants recognition of medical qualifications, gives accreditation to medical schools, grants registration to medical practitioners, and monitors medical practice in India.
Features of the Bill
- It amends the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956 which sets up the MCI that regulates medical education and practice.
- In the interim period, the central government will constitute a 7- member Board of Governors (BoG).
- The powers of the Council have been vested in the BoG led by the NITI Aayog Member.
- The BoG will continue to perform till an alternative comes into place as per the legal provisions in one year time.
- Members: The MCI has elected members from the medical fraternity
- Parliamentary Committee
- There were some serious concerns with the functioning of the MCI.
- A 2016 Parliamentary Standing committee report noted that mere incremental alterations to MCI would not give the expected results.
- Supreme Court
- In May 2016, the Supreme Court had set up a three-member oversight committee.
- With one year tenure, the committee, headed by former Chief Justice of India RM Lodha, was to guide the MCI in its functioning.
- The Lodha oversight committee, at the end of its term, submitted a report.
- It detailed how the MCI openly defied the oversight committee’s directives. Despite this, the Centre, instead of scrapping the MCI, in July 2017, proposed setting up a new oversight committee to the SC.
- In July 2018, this oversight committee members resigned, citing noncompliance of their instructions by the MCI.
- The government introduced the National Medical Commission (NMC) Bill, 2017, in the Lok Sabha, in December, 2017.
- This Bill, to replace the MCI with a National Medical Commission, is pending in Parliament.
- Given all these, the government is now forced to issue the ordinance.
Key issues regarding the regulation of medical education and practice?
- Separation of regulatory powers-MCI is overly centralized, all kinds of power are given to MCI.
- Conflict of interest- With most members of the MCI being elected, there has been a conflict of interest where the regulated elect the regulators, preventing the entry of skilled professionals for the job.
- Fee Regulation- MCI regulates the fees of private colleges.
- Professional conduct- The Committee recommended that the areas of medical education and medical practice should be separated in terms of enforcement of the appropriate ethics for each of these stages.
- The Board of governors (BoG) is likely to make the much-required reforms.
- The government must now move urgently on bringing the NMC Bill.
- There were some concerns with the Bill in its current form despite amendments to accommodate some of them.
Additional Info- National Medical Commission Bill, 2017
The Bill seeks to repeal the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956 and provide for a medical education system which ensures
- Availability of adequate and high quality medical professionals
- Adoption of the latest medical research by medical professionals
- Periodic assessment of medical institutions
- An effective grievance Redressal mechanism
- What is Medical council Bill (MCI) and what are the provisions of the bill?