- 10% Quota for general category
- NITI Aayog proposes all India Judicial Service Examination
- CAG Report on government spending
- Need for Citizenship (Amendment) Bill
- Clause 6 of Assam accord : indepth analysis
- Collegium system for appointment of judges
- Fear of Executive Courts
- Tamilnadu Reservation Policy
Governance & Social Justice
- Bhasha Sangam Program : Celebration of Linguistic Diversity
- Cabinet approves revision in list of scheduled tribes of Arunachal Pradesh
- Does India need a coal commission?
- Concerns in Ayushman Bharat
- Depression at workplaces : A major health issue in India
- How to bridge Gender gap in India : Mckinsey Global Institute Report
- Government plans to rename Indian Forest Service
- IGOT Program for Competent Civil Services
- Indian Medical Council Amendment Bill 2018
- National Commission for Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy
- Government bats for National Medical Devices Promotion Council
- Parental consent for vaccination
- India Signs Agreement with OECD for PISA 2021
- Kerala’s wall of resistance
- Should an IAS officer use Social Media?
- Social media addiction
- Legal Status for SSC
- Tripal Talaq Bill 2018
- Web Wonder Women Campaign by Ministry of WCD
- West Bengal Leaves Ayushman Bharat : In-depth Analysis
- Why Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank Is Important For India
- What Is The Asia Reassurance Initiative Act
- E-Passport for Indians
- What Is G-77
- Failed Coup In Gabon
- Bagladesh Election
- Powering South Asian Integration
- ISRO’S New Station In Bhutan
- Kenya Replace Pictures Of Leaders on Coins With Animal
- Macedonia Name Change
- Why Norway Is Important For India
- Why India Need Membership Of NSG
- Pakistan Declared A Hindu Temple A Heritage Site
- Raisina Dialogue 2019
- India’s Republic Day Guest
- India To Take Over Sittwe Port Operation In Myanmar
- U.S. Mexico Border
- US Government Shutdown
- US Venezuela Crisis
- What is Angel Investment?
- Byorung Bridge
- India’s Airport Privatization Plan
- Rationalisation of GST Rates
- 1st Advance Estimates of Economic Growth by CSO
- Democracy Index 2018
- E-DRISHTI Software by Ministry of Railways
- What is GAFA tax
- Ganga Expressway to be Built in UP
- Green-Ag Project launched by India with UN FAO
- Issue of Tax Evasion under GST
- Improvements under GST Regime
- ICAT Certification for Automobilies
- What is Indian Bridge management System?
- Draft Information Technology Amendmenet Rules 2018
- Jamrani multipurpose DAM Project
- What is KALIA Scheme?
- MANDAL DAM
- Mega Merger!
- MSP for minor forest produce
- NITI Aayog suggestions on farm Economy
- India’s first vertical-lift Bridge
- Paradip Hyderabad pipeline
- Measures to address issues in Sugar industry
- Capital infusion in PSBs
- Renukaji dam
- PM Modi inaugrates Rice Research Institute
- Section 74 of the insolvency and Bankruptcy Code
- Social & Environmental Cost of Building dams
- Solar feeder Maharashtra model
- RBI Tokenisation
- Sikkim-Universal basic income
- Global Risks Report 2019
Science & Technology
- Why Beech Trees Dying
- Beat Plastic Pollution Resolve by India
- Why USA Is Killings California Sea Lions
- Carbon Tax
- China’s War On Particulate Air Pollution Is Causing More Serve Ozone Pollution
- CITES Washington Convention
- Coastal Regulation Zone
- Melting Ice Sheets And Release Of methane
- National Clean Air Programme Feature &Critical Analysis
- Oceans Are Heating Up 40% Faster Than Previous Estimates
- Revival Of Iran’s Lake Urmia
- India submitted sixth national report to Convention on Biological Diversity
- How Wild Fire Affect crop and vegetation Production
- NITI Aayog’s SDG Index
Spice of the Month
- GS 3 || Economy || Services || IT
Why in News?
- The Electronics and IT Ministry introduced draft Information Technology Amendment Rules, 2018 dealing with Social Media.
Prelude to the Draft
- It is replacement of IT rules of 2011.
- Will be addressing to those companies which facilitates the use of the Internet.
- Companies include internet service providers (ISPs), search engines (e.g. Google, Bing etc.) and social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter etc.)
Provisions of the Draft
- All platforms with more than five million users are supposed toregister entity in India under the Companies Act.
- Should also have a permanent registered office in India with appointment of a nodal person of contact and alternate senior designated functionary in India.
- These functionaries will provide for 24X7 co-ordination with law enforcement agencies and officers to ensure compliance to their orders or requisitions made in accordance with provisions of law or rules.
- Those platforms are supposed to share cyber security incidents related information with the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT).
- User can’t host, display, upload, modify, publish, transmit, update or share information, which is pornographic, paedophilic, racially or ethnically objectionable, and invasive of another’s privacy, harms minors in anyway, etc.
- These platforms should also keep a record of “unlawful activity” for a period of 180 days.
- Companies need to trace and report the origin of messages within 72 hours of receiving a complaint from law enforcement agencies.
- They should also disable access within 24 hours tothat kind of content which seems defamatory and may jeopardize national security and other clauses under Article 19 (2) of the Constitution.
- Also, any information which threatens critical information infrastructure should also be advised against by the social media platform.
- A communication must be sent to users once a month about their privacy policies by the companies.
- The companyshould enable tracing out the originator of information on its platform as may be required by government agencies that are legally authorized.
- This information would help in preventing offences which may include mob violence, lynching, online sexual abuse, etc. and in registering an FIR.
- Grievance redressal:
- The companyshould publish the name of the Grievance Officer and his/her contact details on its website.
- It should also lay down a mechanism by which it redresses the concerns of users who suffer as a result of access or usage of computer resource by any person in violation of rule.
- Usage of technology:
- Technology based automated tools or appropriate mechanisms should be deployed for identifying and removing or disabling public access to unlawful information. E.g. mob lynching
- Once thecompanyreceives information in the form of a court order or is notified by a government agency under the IT Act, it should immediately remove the content which is pro-hate content.
In a nutshell: