- 10% Quota for general category
- NITI Aayog proposes all India Judicial Service Examination
- CAG Report on government spending
- Need for Citizenship (Amendment) Bill
- Clause 6 of Assam accord : indepth analysis
- Collegium system for appointment of judges
- Fear of Executive Courts
- Tamilnadu Reservation Policy
Governance & Social Justice
- Bhasha Sangam Program : Celebration of Linguistic Diversity
- Cabinet approves revision in list of scheduled tribes of Arunachal Pradesh
- Does India need a coal commission?
- Concerns in Ayushman Bharat
- Depression at workplaces : A major health issue in India
- How to bridge Gender gap in India : Mckinsey Global Institute Report
- Government plans to rename Indian Forest Service
- IGOT Program for Competent Civil Services
- Indian Medical Council Amendment Bill 2018
- National Commission for Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy
- Government bats for National Medical Devices Promotion Council
- Parental consent for vaccination
- India Signs Agreement with OECD for PISA 2021
- Kerala’s wall of resistance
- Should an IAS officer use Social Media?
- Social media addiction
- Legal Status for SSC
- Tripal Talaq Bill 2018
- Web Wonder Women Campaign by Ministry of WCD
- West Bengal Leaves Ayushman Bharat : In-depth Analysis
- Why Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank Is Important For India
- What Is The Asia Reassurance Initiative Act
- E-Passport for Indians
- What Is G-77
- Failed Coup In Gabon
- Bagladesh Election
- Powering South Asian Integration
- ISRO’S New Station In Bhutan
- Kenya Replace Pictures Of Leaders on Coins With Animal
- Macedonia Name Change
- Why Norway Is Important For India
- Why India Need Membership Of NSG
- Pakistan Declared A Hindu Temple A Heritage Site
- Raisina Dialogue 2019
- India’s Republic Day Guest
- India To Take Over Sittwe Port Operation In Myanmar
- U.S. Mexico Border
- US Government Shutdown
- US Venezuela Crisis
- What is Angel Investment?
- Byorung Bridge
- India’s Airport Privatization Plan
- Rationalisation of GST Rates
- 1st Advance Estimates of Economic Growth by CSO
- Democracy Index 2018
- E-DRISHTI Software by Ministry of Railways
- What is GAFA tax
- Ganga Expressway to be Built in UP
- Green-Ag Project launched by India with UN FAO
- Issue of Tax Evasion under GST
- Improvements under GST Regime
- ICAT Certification for Automobilies
- What is Indian Bridge management System?
- Draft Information Technology Amendmenet Rules 2018
- Jamrani multipurpose DAM Project
- What is KALIA Scheme?
- MANDAL DAM
- Mega Merger!
- MSP for minor forest produce
- NITI Aayog suggestions on farm Economy
- India’s first vertical-lift Bridge
- Paradip Hyderabad pipeline
- Measures to address issues in Sugar industry
- Capital infusion in PSBs
- Renukaji dam
- PM Modi inaugrates Rice Research Institute
- Section 74 of the insolvency and Bankruptcy Code
- Social & Environmental Cost of Building dams
- Solar feeder Maharashtra model
- RBI Tokenisation
- Sikkim-Universal basic income
- Global Risks Report 2019
Science & Technology
- Why Beech Trees Dying
- Beat Plastic Pollution Resolve by India
- Why USA Is Killings California Sea Lions
- Carbon Tax
- China’s War On Particulate Air Pollution Is Causing More Serve Ozone Pollution
- CITES Washington Convention
- Coastal Regulation Zone
- Melting Ice Sheets And Release Of methane
- National Clean Air Programme Feature &Critical Analysis
- Oceans Are Heating Up 40% Faster Than Previous Estimates
- Revival Of Iran’s Lake Urmia
- India submitted sixth national report to Convention on Biological Diversity
- How Wild Fire Affect crop and vegetation Production
- NITI Aayog’s SDG Index
Spice of the Month
- GS 3|| Environment || Climate Change || Mitigation Efforts
Why in News?
- A discussion based on Carbon Taxation and economy is in the air. One of the Canada’s minister as talked about the recession linked with the carbon taxation.
Facets of Carbon Tax
- Stefano Carattini who is an Assistant Professor at Georgia State University, asserts that Lack of public support is often the main obstacle to introducing carbon taxes.
- Policy makers need to carefully design and communicate the taxes in a way that will generate sufficient support.
- A worldwide carbon tax would not disrupt the global economy, according to Anton Orlov, Senior Researcher at CICERO.
- The economic simulations showed that the economic impact would be modest in countries with a clean energy supply, but greater in countries that rely on fossil fuels, especially coal.
- This is true even without taking into account the large benefits from avoided climate damages
Harmonizing Carbon Taxes
- Imposing a cost on carbon is the most economically efficient way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- A worldwide carbon-pricing system would speed up emissions cuts, but still, this is not happening.
- Public support for carbon taxes needs more study, especially in developing countries.
- It is important to understand and communicate information to voters about carbon taxes and their economic, social and environmental effects.
- Policy makers should identify the best compromises between efficiency and acceptability.
- Carbon Tax:
- Tax levied on the carbon content of fuels. It is a form of carbon pricing.
- Since greenhouse gas emissions caused by the combustion of fossil fuels are closely related to the carbon content of the respective fuels, a tax on these emissions can be levied by taxing the carbon content of fossil fuels at any point in the product cycle of the fuel.
- Carbon tax offers social and economic benefits. It is a tax that increases revenue without significantly altering the economy while simultaneously promoting objectives of climate change policy.
- Finland is the first nation in 1990s to implement Carbon Tax. In Asia, Taiwan is the first nation to implement the Carbon Taxation.
- Global Carbon Tax as part of tax policy of the country that will help to arrest and reverse climate change. Discuss.