- 10% Quota for general category
- NITI Aayog proposes all India Judicial Service Examination
- CAG Report on government spending
- Need for Citizenship (Amendment) Bill
- Clause 6 of Assam accord : indepth analysis
- Collegium system for appointment of judges
- Fear of Executive Courts
- Tamilnadu Reservation Policy
Governance & Social Justice
- Bhasha Sangam Program : Celebration of Linguistic Diversity
- Cabinet approves revision in list of scheduled tribes of Arunachal Pradesh
- Does India need a coal commission?
- Concerns in Ayushman Bharat
- Depression at workplaces : A major health issue in India
- How to bridge Gender gap in India : Mckinsey Global Institute Report
- Government plans to rename Indian Forest Service
- IGOT Program for Competent Civil Services
- Indian Medical Council Amendment Bill 2018
- National Commission for Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy
- Government bats for National Medical Devices Promotion Council
- Parental consent for vaccination
- India Signs Agreement with OECD for PISA 2021
- Kerala’s wall of resistance
- Should an IAS officer use Social Media?
- Social media addiction
- Legal Status for SSC
- Tripal Talaq Bill 2018
- Web Wonder Women Campaign by Ministry of WCD
- West Bengal Leaves Ayushman Bharat : In-depth Analysis
- Why Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank Is Important For India
- What Is The Asia Reassurance Initiative Act
- E-Passport for Indians
- What Is G-77
- Failed Coup In Gabon
- Bagladesh Election
- Powering South Asian Integration
- ISRO’S New Station In Bhutan
- Kenya Replace Pictures Of Leaders on Coins With Animal
- Macedonia Name Change
- Why Norway Is Important For India
- Why India Need Membership Of NSG
- Pakistan Declared A Hindu Temple A Heritage Site
- Raisina Dialogue 2019
- India’s Republic Day Guest
- India To Take Over Sittwe Port Operation In Myanmar
- U.S. Mexico Border
- US Government Shutdown
- US Venezuela Crisis
- What is Angel Investment?
- Byorung Bridge
- India’s Airport Privatization Plan
- Rationalisation of GST Rates
- 1st Advance Estimates of Economic Growth by CSO
- Democracy Index 2018
- E-DRISHTI Software by Ministry of Railways
- What is GAFA tax
- Ganga Expressway to be Built in UP
- Green-Ag Project launched by India with UN FAO
- Issue of Tax Evasion under GST
- Improvements under GST Regime
- ICAT Certification for Automobilies
- What is Indian Bridge management System?
- Draft Information Technology Amendmenet Rules 2018
- Jamrani multipurpose DAM Project
- What is KALIA Scheme?
- MANDAL DAM
- Mega Merger!
- MSP for minor forest produce
- NITI Aayog suggestions on farm Economy
- India’s first vertical-lift Bridge
- Paradip Hyderabad pipeline
- Measures to address issues in Sugar industry
- Capital infusion in PSBs
- Renukaji dam
- PM Modi inaugrates Rice Research Institute
- Section 74 of the insolvency and Bankruptcy Code
- Social & Environmental Cost of Building dams
- Solar feeder Maharashtra model
- RBI Tokenisation
- Sikkim-Universal basic income
- Global Risks Report 2019
Science & Technology
- Why Beech Trees Dying
- Beat Plastic Pollution Resolve by India
- Why USA Is Killings California Sea Lions
- Carbon Tax
- China’s War On Particulate Air Pollution Is Causing More Serve Ozone Pollution
- CITES Washington Convention
- Coastal Regulation Zone
- Melting Ice Sheets And Release Of methane
- National Clean Air Programme Feature &Critical Analysis
- Oceans Are Heating Up 40% Faster Than Previous Estimates
- Revival Of Iran’s Lake Urmia
- India submitted sixth national report to Convention on Biological Diversity
- How Wild Fire Affect crop and vegetation Production
- NITI Aayog’s SDG Index
Spice of the Month
- GS1 || Art & Culture || Culture of India || Cultural Institutions in India
Why in news?
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) recently declared that it has added six structures to the list of monuments of national importance, taking the total number to 3,693.
The six monuments are :
- Old High Court Building in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- Haveli of Agha Khan in Agra.
- Haveli of Hathi Khana in Agra.
- Neemrana Baori in Rajasthan’s Alwar district.
- Group of Temples at Ranipur Jharail in Odisha’s Bolangir district.
- Vishnu Temple in Kotali, Pithoragarh district, Uttarkhand.
What is an Ancient Monument?
- According to the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958, any structure, sculpture, inscription, etc., which is in existence for not less than 100 years is termed ancient.
About monuments of national importance
- The Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958 defines an “Ancient Monument” as follows:
- Ancient Monument means any structure, erection or monument, or any tumulus or place of interment, or any cave, rock-sculpture, inscription or monolith which is of historical, archaeological or artistic interest and which has been in existence for not less than 100 years
- The central government maintains national monuments, while the state government maintains state monuments.
Most national importance monuments
- With 506 monuments under its belt, Karnataka continues to top the list in South India, followed by Tamil Nadu (413).
- Nationally too, Karnataka is in the second place after Uttar Pradesh, which has 745 such monuments.
Additional information – About ASI
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), under the Ministry of Culture, is the premier organization for the archaeological researches and protection of the cultural heritage of the nation.
- Functions: Maintenance of ancient monuments and archaeological sites and remains of national importance is the prime concern of the ASI. Besides it regulate all archaeological activities in the country as per the provisions of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958. It also regulates Antiquities and Art Treasure Act, 1972.
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) was formed in 1861 by a statute passed into law by Canning, with Alexander Cunningham as its first Archaeological Surveyor, to excavate and conserve India’s ancient built heritage.
- Discuss the mandate, organizational structure and functioning of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).