- When does a Bill Lapse in Parliament?
- J&K SRO 202 protest 2019
- Citizenship Bill protests in Mizoram
- Post retirement Appointment of Judges in India
- 100% use of VVPAT for General Election 2019
- CAG Report on Rafale
- Delhi Govt vs Lieutenant Governor case
- What is Judicial Recusal?
- Sanskrit Prayers in Schools Challenged in Apex Court
- Ladakh is a separate division now in Jammu & Kashmir
Governance & Social Justice
- 13 Point Roster System
- Calling wife a PROSTITUTE a grave provocation
- Information Technology Act amendment fumes eCigarette smokers
- SC order to evict more than 1 million forest Dwellers
- Skill Ministry’s guidelines for Jan Shikshan Sansthans
- National Commission for Safai Karmacharis gets 3 year tenure extension
- Policy for Domestic Workers in India
- Nilavembu Kudineer concoction for treatment of Dengue & Chikungunya diseases
- Reconstitution of Indian Council of Historical Research
- Swine Flu outbreak in various parts of India, How H1N1 virus spreads?
- Global Corruption Index 2018 by Transparency International
- PM Shram Yogi Maandhan
- Participation of Indian Women in Mining Sector
- CBI vs CBI Alok Verma Case, Has delay by Supreme Court defeated justice?
- Importance of research in UG curriculum
- CBI v/s Mamata
- India Warned by International Olympic Committee IOC
- Fungal Toxin Zearalenone in Cereals
- Magnitude of Substance Use in India by NDDTC, 16 crore Indians drink alcohol
- eAushadhi portal launched by AYUSH ministry
- Spike in female foeticide: study blames India’s inheritance law
- World’s 1st Human Rights TV channel launched
- Musical Devices usage Standards by WHO & ITU
- Issues India will face in 2019
- What is most favoured Nation Status ?
- India’s Foreign Policy Challenges
- Will Belarus Merger with Russia?
- Bill to counter exploitation by NRI spouses
- Trump Declares Emergency In USA
- India Hikes Tariffs on Pakistani Imports to 200%
- India to stop excess river water supply to Pak
- PM Modi’s Arunachal Pradesh Visit
- Why Venezuela Wants India to buy its Oil?
- India withdraws Most Favoured Nation status for Pakistan
- Mohammed Bin Salman in India 2019
- U.S China Fight for Greenland
- IAF Pilot Abhinandan in Pakistan Custody
- Why China Shields Masood azhar in United Nations?
- India to be Guest of Honor at OIC
- Why is Iran angry at Pakistan?
- Afghanistan Launches New Export Route to India
- National Cow Commission
- Why Promotion of City Compost policy needs overhauling?
- National Gas Grid project of India
- Ministry of Civil Aviation releases Vision 2040 document
- Advantages of Income Transfer Policy for Agri Sector
- Effects of Falling Inflation on Indian Economy
- Jet Airways Bailout Plan
- Crisis in World Trade Organisation
- Budget 2019 Analysis
- Infrastructure Allocations in Interim Budget
- Ladakh now connected to National Grid
- Reforming Loan Waivers Kerala Model
- India’s longest LPG pipeline
- Periodic Labour Force Survey
- Revised GDP estimates
- Can Two Child Policy Work in India?
- What is Angel Tax and Angel Investor?
- Transport infrastructure : India’s achievements in last 5 years
- Global Recession Warning by Nobel laureate Paul Krugman
- World Bank approved 11000 crore for improving safety of dams in India
- RBI concerned about NPCI monopoly
- Removal of Banks from PCA Framework
- Inter-State Agriculture trading via eNAM
- Revenue Shortfall under GST
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi
- Subarnarekha Port of Odisha Rs. 5000 Crore
- Sugarcane Farmers Protest in Maharashtra
Science & Technology
- Periodic Table completes 150 years
- GSAT 31 Successfully Launched French Guiana
- Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet Missile Tested by DRDO
- Indian Navy’s new Air Base
- Use of Space Technology in Agriculture Sector
- Unnati Program by ISRO
- World’s First Privately Funded Mission to Moon
- Status of Coal Sector in India
- Rise in Human – Lepoard Conflict
- Why India can’t handle more Tigers?
- First Captive Elephant Surgery
- Rise of Nitrogen Pollution in India
- Rise of Light Pollution
- Asiatic Lion Conservation Project
- Crocodiles Near Statue Of Unity
- Saksham 2019 : Fuel Conservation Campaign
- Plastic Consumption
- NITI Aayog Releases SDG India Index
- National Mission for Green India
Spice of the Month
- GS 3 || Environment || Environment & Ecology || Pollution
Why in News?
- In India, a recent study published in the journal Urban Climate said brightness from outdoor lights increased steadily between 1993 and 2013. New Delhi, Telangana, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh all experienced increase in very high light pollution intensity.
What is Light pollution?
- Light pollution, also known as photo pollution, is the presence of anthropogenic (man made ) light in the night environment
- It is exacerbated by excessive, misdirected or obtrusive uses of light, but even carefully used light fundamentally alters natural conditions
- As a major side-effect of urbanization, it is blamed for compromising the health, disrupting ecosystems and spoiling aesthetic environments
- It has a disruptive effect on natural cycles and inhibits the observation of stars and planets
- It washes out starlight in the night sky, interferes with astronomical research, disrupts ecosystems, has adverse health effects and wastes energy.
- The world is getting brighter, but scientists say that may not be a good thing.
- According to Researchers, satellite data showed that Earth’s artificially lit outdoor surface at night grew by about 2% annually in brightness and the area from 2012 to 2016.
- This underscores concerns about the ecological effects of light pollution on people and animals.
- Components of light pollution
- Glare: excessive brightness that causes visual discomfort.
- Skyglow: brightening of the night sky over inhabited areas.
- Clutter: bright, excessive and confusing groupings of light sources.
- Light trespass: light falling where it is not intended or needed.
Effects of Light Pollution
- Disturbs the reproductive cycles of some animals.
- Disturbs migration of birds that navigate using the stars and to disorient night-flying insects.
- In humans, it disturbs circadian rhythms that regulate hormones and other bodily functions.
- Threatens biodiversity.
- Excessive blue light emitted form LEDs directly affects sleep pattern in Human by suppressing the production of the hormone melatonin, which mediates the sleep-wake cycle in humans.
- Alteration in reproductive activities, predator/prey interactions.
- Artificial lights also attract migratory birds.
- Negative impact of light pollution on nocturnal pollinators.
Analysis of data
- Every year earth is getting brighter than earlier years, it underscores the concerns about the ecological effects of light pollution on people and animals.
- The rate of growth observed in developing countries was much faster than in already brightly lit rich countries.
- With few exceptions, growth in night time light was observed throughout South America, Africa and Asia.
- Light remained stable in only a few countries, although the researchers said the satellite sensor’s blindness to some LED light may mask an actual increase.
- Australia’s lit area decreased due to wildfires. Night time light declined in War-hit Syrian and Yemen.
What are the reasons of increasing light pollution?
- City transitions of its street lighting from sodium lamps to LED, indicates that savings in energy are being offset by either new or brighter lights in other places
- Few alterations can reduce our illumination footprint.
- Shields on street lighting fixtures to prevent direct upward dispersal.
- Correcting over –lighting, and adjusting light intensity according to the time.
- APJ Abdul Kalam –Wheeler Island
- Olive Ridley turtles were being distracted by the bright lights on the Wheeler island missile testing facility nearby, former president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam ensured that these lights were masked during the nesting season of the ecosensitive marine creatures.
- As the chief of Defence Research of Development Organisation (DRDO), when his attention was drawn to the fact that the Olive Ridley turtles, which have their largest rookery in the world on the Gahrimatha beach in Odisha’s Kendrapara district, were being distracted by the bright lights on the Wheeler island missile testing facility nearby, he ensured that these lights were masked during the nesting season of the ecosensitive marine
- Comment on rising level of Light Pollution and its effects.