- When does a Bill Lapse in Parliament?
- J&K SRO 202 protest 2019
- Citizenship Bill protests in Mizoram
- Post retirement Appointment of Judges in India
- 100% use of VVPAT for General Election 2019
- CAG Report on Rafale
- Delhi Govt vs Lieutenant Governor case
- What is Judicial Recusal?
- Sanskrit Prayers in Schools Challenged in Apex Court
- Ladakh is a separate division now in Jammu & Kashmir
Governance & Social Justice
- 13 Point Roster System
- Calling wife a PROSTITUTE a grave provocation
- Information Technology Act amendment fumes eCigarette smokers
- SC order to evict more than 1 million forest Dwellers
- Skill Ministry’s guidelines for Jan Shikshan Sansthans
- National Commission for Safai Karmacharis gets 3 year tenure extension
- Policy for Domestic Workers in India
- Nilavembu Kudineer concoction for treatment of Dengue & Chikungunya diseases
- Reconstitution of Indian Council of Historical Research
- Swine Flu outbreak in various parts of India, How H1N1 virus spreads?
- Global Corruption Index 2018 by Transparency International
- PM Shram Yogi Maandhan
- Participation of Indian Women in Mining Sector
- CBI vs CBI Alok Verma Case, Has delay by Supreme Court defeated justice?
- Importance of research in UG curriculum
- CBI v/s Mamata
- India Warned by International Olympic Committee IOC
- Fungal Toxin Zearalenone in Cereals
- Magnitude of Substance Use in India by NDDTC, 16 crore Indians drink alcohol
- eAushadhi portal launched by AYUSH ministry
- Spike in female foeticide: study blames India’s inheritance law
- World’s 1st Human Rights TV channel launched
- Musical Devices usage Standards by WHO & ITU
- Issues India will face in 2019
- What is most favoured Nation Status ?
- India’s Foreign Policy Challenges
- Will Belarus Merger with Russia?
- Bill to counter exploitation by NRI spouses
- Trump Declares Emergency In USA
- India Hikes Tariffs on Pakistani Imports to 200%
- India to stop excess river water supply to Pak
- PM Modi’s Arunachal Pradesh Visit
- Why Venezuela Wants India to buy its Oil?
- India withdraws Most Favoured Nation status for Pakistan
- Mohammed Bin Salman in India 2019
- U.S China Fight for Greenland
- IAF Pilot Abhinandan in Pakistan Custody
- Why China Shields Masood azhar in United Nations?
- India to be Guest of Honor at OIC
- Why is Iran angry at Pakistan?
- Afghanistan Launches New Export Route to India
- National Cow Commission
- Why Promotion of City Compost policy needs overhauling?
- National Gas Grid project of India
- Ministry of Civil Aviation releases Vision 2040 document
- Advantages of Income Transfer Policy for Agri Sector
- Effects of Falling Inflation on Indian Economy
- Jet Airways Bailout Plan
- Crisis in World Trade Organisation
- Budget 2019 Analysis
- Infrastructure Allocations in Interim Budget
- Ladakh now connected to National Grid
- Reforming Loan Waivers Kerala Model
- India’s longest LPG pipeline
- Periodic Labour Force Survey
- Revised GDP estimates
- Can Two Child Policy Work in India?
- What is Angel Tax and Angel Investor?
- Transport infrastructure : India’s achievements in last 5 years
- Global Recession Warning by Nobel laureate Paul Krugman
- World Bank approved 11000 crore for improving safety of dams in India
- RBI concerned about NPCI monopoly
- Removal of Banks from PCA Framework
- Inter-State Agriculture trading via eNAM
- Revenue Shortfall under GST
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi
- Subarnarekha Port of Odisha Rs. 5000 Crore
- Sugarcane Farmers Protest in Maharashtra
Science & Technology
- Periodic Table completes 150 years
- GSAT 31 Successfully Launched French Guiana
- Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet Missile Tested by DRDO
- Indian Navy’s new Air Base
- Use of Space Technology in Agriculture Sector
- Unnati Program by ISRO
- World’s First Privately Funded Mission to Moon
- Status of Coal Sector in India
- Rise in Human – Lepoard Conflict
- Why India can’t handle more Tigers?
- First Captive Elephant Surgery
- Rise of Nitrogen Pollution in India
- Rise of Light Pollution
- Asiatic Lion Conservation Project
- Crocodiles Near Statue Of Unity
- Saksham 2019 : Fuel Conservation Campaign
- Plastic Consumption
- NITI Aayog Releases SDG India Index
- National Mission for Green India
Spice of the Month
Toppers Talk – Ashima Mittal | AIR-12 , CSE 2017
The Journey Of My Life
- I was born and brought up in Jaipur, (Rajasthan) and completed my school education from there itself.
- I’ve pursued my civil engineering from IIT Bombay in 2014.
- I had worked with Ernst and Young in Gurgaon, Haryana, as an Associate Consultant; but I left the job after a few months since I wanted to prepare for civil services.
- I wholeheartedly started preparing for civil services from the beginning of 2015.
- I gave my first attempt in August 2015 and I really had to work hard for it . In prelims, 5-6 subjects are core ,apart from the current affairs.
- I didn’t take any coaching for the mains and decided to stay at my home(Jaipur) and do my preparation for the mains exam.
Tips For Mains Exam
- Mains is everything under the sun.So what you can do is make an excel sheet and divide the syllabus into the subtopic put the entire syllabus of mains into the subtopics. You can get a clear picture of the syllabus from that, syllabus can be managed very well by this, different types of color can be in the excel sheet, red for difficult ones and green for the topics which are done .
- Earlier I used to maintain my syllabus in hardcopy/notebook but it was not handy for me.
Thorough Your Syllabus
- Know your syllabus by heart, knowing it by heart can reduce your time in the reading newspaper.
- Beginners can take 2-3 days extra to learn the syllabus and will help in later time.
- I started my IAS preparation in January 2015, I gave mains on December 2015. I scored less in two papers of mains. i.e : Ethics and Anthropology(Optional)
- In order to gain practical experience I have done a couple of Internships, to know more about the actual issues that people deal with.
- For instance, I applied for an internship under Government Of Rajasthan in Elementary Education – under young internship programme, which I did for 6 months from here I got to know the real issues, particularly in the education sector(elementary education). I also got the chance to visit the different districts of Rajasthan and further saw the condition of the elementary schools and absenteeism of teachers from the school.
- On the ground, I got to know the conceptual understanding of the condition of our schools. which had been a very good experience for me.
In March 2016 I gave the interview of civil services, but couldn’t make it to the final list and lost by 10 marks.
So, giving the second attempt somehow became difficult for me, but the field experiences which I had, strengthened my belief for further attempts.
Learning a New Language
- What helped me coming out of the stressful time was, learning a new language.
- One thing that I would like to say is whenever you go through the time of despair and distress, please choose a new hobby and start working on it, it will eventually help you in getting new hopes and energy in life.
- I started preparing for UPSC second time. I gave prelims and it really went very well further gave mains that year and all of my field experience really helped in mains paper 2, polity.
- I got through the mains and gave interview.
After giving an interview I went for, another field experience, but this time with the government of Gujarat in the Civil Administration Department.
- There was a time when I was not having any accommodation in the village and was told to have friendship with the village people.It was very nice for me to meet new people and experiencing a new culture.
- In my second attempt I got 328 ranks, I got IRS-IT.
- I was happy with the result, as I could make it to the list and from then I started working for my third attempt more efficiently.
- I8 days were left when I decided to write prelims again in my third attempt. As time was less I had to work very strategically for it so I can get maximum output from the minimum time. This time I gave many mock tests and increased my power of guessing answers.
- My strategy was to solve at least one paper daily and I went on solving the papers for almost 2 months. All in all, I solved nearly 45-60 papers during the time period.
- From the Vision IAS, I studied monthly current affairs, for art and culture I referred IAS baba.
- I cleared prelims and started preparing for mains examination, this time preparing for mains exam, I consulted many teachers. For essays what I did was, I read the essays by the toppers which were easily available on the internet developed my own style of writing essays and before the examination, I wrote 15-20 essays in all.
- In the mains exam- for the essay, I focused on each and everything from the starting, structure and to the ending of it.
- I would suggest that aspirants should focus more on the introduction and the conclusion part of the essay as well as read a lot of previous years’ material by the toppers along with the self’s practice.
- In GS, I used maps and flow charts in my answer writing.
Importance Of Test Series
- Choose a good test series, make sure that the feedback you get after solving the mock is helping you to improve your score in the mock.