- When does a Bill Lapse in Parliament?
- J&K SRO 202 protest 2019
- Citizenship Bill protests in Mizoram
- Post retirement Appointment of Judges in India
- 100% use of VVPAT for General Election 2019
- CAG Report on Rafale
- Delhi Govt vs Lieutenant Governor case
- What is Judicial Recusal?
- Sanskrit Prayers in Schools Challenged in Apex Court
- Ladakh is a separate division now in Jammu & Kashmir
Governance & Social Justice
- 13 Point Roster System
- Calling wife a PROSTITUTE a grave provocation
- Information Technology Act amendment fumes eCigarette smokers
- SC order to evict more than 1 million forest Dwellers
- Skill Ministry’s guidelines for Jan Shikshan Sansthans
- National Commission for Safai Karmacharis gets 3 year tenure extension
- Policy for Domestic Workers in India
- Nilavembu Kudineer concoction for treatment of Dengue & Chikungunya diseases
- Reconstitution of Indian Council of Historical Research
- Swine Flu outbreak in various parts of India, How H1N1 virus spreads?
- Global Corruption Index 2018 by Transparency International
- PM Shram Yogi Maandhan
- Participation of Indian Women in Mining Sector
- CBI vs CBI Alok Verma Case, Has delay by Supreme Court defeated justice?
- Importance of research in UG curriculum
- CBI v/s Mamata
- India Warned by International Olympic Committee IOC
- Fungal Toxin Zearalenone in Cereals
- Magnitude of Substance Use in India by NDDTC, 16 crore Indians drink alcohol
- eAushadhi portal launched by AYUSH ministry
- Spike in female foeticide: study blames India’s inheritance law
- World’s 1st Human Rights TV channel launched
- Musical Devices usage Standards by WHO & ITU
- Issues India will face in 2019
- What is most favoured Nation Status ?
- India’s Foreign Policy Challenges
- Will Belarus Merger with Russia?
- Bill to counter exploitation by NRI spouses
- Trump Declares Emergency In USA
- India Hikes Tariffs on Pakistani Imports to 200%
- India to stop excess river water supply to Pak
- PM Modi’s Arunachal Pradesh Visit
- Why Venezuela Wants India to buy its Oil?
- India withdraws Most Favoured Nation status for Pakistan
- Mohammed Bin Salman in India 2019
- U.S China Fight for Greenland
- IAF Pilot Abhinandan in Pakistan Custody
- Why China Shields Masood azhar in United Nations?
- India to be Guest of Honor at OIC
- Why is Iran angry at Pakistan?
- Afghanistan Launches New Export Route to India
- National Cow Commission
- Why Promotion of City Compost policy needs overhauling?
- National Gas Grid project of India
- Ministry of Civil Aviation releases Vision 2040 document
- Advantages of Income Transfer Policy for Agri Sector
- Effects of Falling Inflation on Indian Economy
- Jet Airways Bailout Plan
- Crisis in World Trade Organisation
- Budget 2019 Analysis
- Infrastructure Allocations in Interim Budget
- Ladakh now connected to National Grid
- Reforming Loan Waivers Kerala Model
- India’s longest LPG pipeline
- Periodic Labour Force Survey
- Revised GDP estimates
- Can Two Child Policy Work in India?
- What is Angel Tax and Angel Investor?
- Transport infrastructure : India’s achievements in last 5 years
- Global Recession Warning by Nobel laureate Paul Krugman
- World Bank approved 11000 crore for improving safety of dams in India
- RBI concerned about NPCI monopoly
- Removal of Banks from PCA Framework
- Inter-State Agriculture trading via eNAM
- Revenue Shortfall under GST
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi
- Subarnarekha Port of Odisha Rs. 5000 Crore
- Sugarcane Farmers Protest in Maharashtra
Science & Technology
- Periodic Table completes 150 years
- GSAT 31 Successfully Launched French Guiana
- Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet Missile Tested by DRDO
- Indian Navy’s new Air Base
- Use of Space Technology in Agriculture Sector
- Unnati Program by ISRO
- World’s First Privately Funded Mission to Moon
- Status of Coal Sector in India
- Rise in Human – Lepoard Conflict
- Why India can’t handle more Tigers?
- First Captive Elephant Surgery
- Rise of Nitrogen Pollution in India
- Rise of Light Pollution
- Asiatic Lion Conservation Project
- Crocodiles Near Statue Of Unity
- Saksham 2019 : Fuel Conservation Campaign
- Plastic Consumption
- NITI Aayog Releases SDG India Index
- National Mission for Green India
Spice of the Month
- GS 3 || Environment || Environment & Ecology || Pollution
Why in News?
The consumption of plastic in the Asia Pacific region is getting higher
- Coming to the plastic consumption in Asia, Asia consumes almost 50% of the global plastic packaging and this is estimated to be 4 times of the 2050.
- These plastic consumption packaging’s used are the major proportion used by food industries, beverages industries, and healthcare etc. which accounts for around 75% of the plastic packaging.
- These are the major factor contributing to the increasing plastic consumption is the new consumption pattern like increasing significance of e-commerce online food delivery like the stuffs.
- They have added insult to the injury of plastic pollution in the world therefore Asia contributes stunningly 82% dumped into the oceans.
- There is also a reason in Asia there is a very low recycling rates, except Japan and Taiwan.
- Japan has recycling rates of 83% which is totally exceptional and Taiwan hairs 35% of recycling rate.
- 37% Packing: Plastic represents almost 37% of the packaging of Asia which is almost around USD150bn
- It is definitely because of the obvious benefits of plastic; either the durability of plastic or safety or hygiene etc.
- Single Use: But the major reason is the single use of the short term use of the plastic.
- Non-Biodegradable: Plastic is highly non-biodegradable and it takes around 500 years to biodegrade and they are causing environmental distress.
- Low From early 1950, almost 8.3 billion tons of plastic has been produced but out of these 8.3 billion tons, only 9% plastic wastes have been recycled which definitely means that it is causing a very high distress to the nature.
- Injury to the Marine World: It has also caused injury to the Marine world and to the economy.
- Calculations: According to the APEC (Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation), it estimates that it caused due to pause plastic pollution on tourism fishing shipping industries etc. which is almost around 1.3 billion dollar in South Asia region alone.
- It gets either dumped to the natural environment or into the water bodies like ocean proper management of plastic wastes can improve the environmental outputs.
Low Plastic Waste Collection Rate:
- Low Economic Value: No plastic waste collection rate across the world the first reason is that low economic value of the plastic it has no residual value like plastic bags have very low value on the other hand aluminium cans they have higher collection cost and their more economically
- Poor Separation at Source: poor separation at source separation of plastic with the other elements like aluminum is very essential transparent plastic
- Pigment Contamination highlights of pigment contamination there is change in colour transparent plastics have the highest value and they are preferred more in the recycling market.
- Cheaper to dump hire cost of recycling governments are promoting the recycling of plastics and also giving subsidies on it
- In January 2018, China banned the import of plastic waste.
- China imported almost 56% of global exported plastic waste before the banning.
- US, the UK, the EU and Japan were the biggest exporter to China in this waste.
- Asia is about to witness the policy regulation on waste management.
- Along with all these changes, reduction in plastic has also been galvanized in recent times.