- When does a Bill Lapse in Parliament?
- J&K SRO 202 protest 2019
- Citizenship Bill protests in Mizoram
- Post retirement Appointment of Judges in India
- 100% use of VVPAT for General Election 2019
- CAG Report on Rafale
- Delhi Govt vs Lieutenant Governor case
- What is Judicial Recusal?
- Sanskrit Prayers in Schools Challenged in Apex Court
- Ladakh is a separate division now in Jammu & Kashmir
Governance & Social Justice
- 13 Point Roster System
- Calling wife a PROSTITUTE a grave provocation
- Information Technology Act amendment fumes eCigarette smokers
- SC order to evict more than 1 million forest Dwellers
- Skill Ministry’s guidelines for Jan Shikshan Sansthans
- National Commission for Safai Karmacharis gets 3 year tenure extension
- Policy for Domestic Workers in India
- Nilavembu Kudineer concoction for treatment of Dengue & Chikungunya diseases
- Reconstitution of Indian Council of Historical Research
- Swine Flu outbreak in various parts of India, How H1N1 virus spreads?
- Global Corruption Index 2018 by Transparency International
- PM Shram Yogi Maandhan
- Participation of Indian Women in Mining Sector
- CBI vs CBI Alok Verma Case, Has delay by Supreme Court defeated justice?
- Importance of research in UG curriculum
- CBI v/s Mamata
- India Warned by International Olympic Committee IOC
- Fungal Toxin Zearalenone in Cereals
- Magnitude of Substance Use in India by NDDTC, 16 crore Indians drink alcohol
- eAushadhi portal launched by AYUSH ministry
- Spike in female foeticide: study blames India’s inheritance law
- World’s 1st Human Rights TV channel launched
- Musical Devices usage Standards by WHO & ITU
- Issues India will face in 2019
- What is most favoured Nation Status ?
- India’s Foreign Policy Challenges
- Will Belarus Merger with Russia?
- Bill to counter exploitation by NRI spouses
- Trump Declares Emergency In USA
- India Hikes Tariffs on Pakistani Imports to 200%
- India to stop excess river water supply to Pak
- PM Modi’s Arunachal Pradesh Visit
- Why Venezuela Wants India to buy its Oil?
- India withdraws Most Favoured Nation status for Pakistan
- Mohammed Bin Salman in India 2019
- U.S China Fight for Greenland
- IAF Pilot Abhinandan in Pakistan Custody
- Why China Shields Masood azhar in United Nations?
- India to be Guest of Honor at OIC
- Why is Iran angry at Pakistan?
- Afghanistan Launches New Export Route to India
- National Cow Commission
- Why Promotion of City Compost policy needs overhauling?
- National Gas Grid project of India
- Ministry of Civil Aviation releases Vision 2040 document
- Advantages of Income Transfer Policy for Agri Sector
- Effects of Falling Inflation on Indian Economy
- Jet Airways Bailout Plan
- Crisis in World Trade Organisation
- Budget 2019 Analysis
- Infrastructure Allocations in Interim Budget
- Ladakh now connected to National Grid
- Reforming Loan Waivers Kerala Model
- India’s longest LPG pipeline
- Periodic Labour Force Survey
- Revised GDP estimates
- Can Two Child Policy Work in India?
- What is Angel Tax and Angel Investor?
- Transport infrastructure : India’s achievements in last 5 years
- Global Recession Warning by Nobel laureate Paul Krugman
- World Bank approved 11000 crore for improving safety of dams in India
- RBI concerned about NPCI monopoly
- Removal of Banks from PCA Framework
- Inter-State Agriculture trading via eNAM
- Revenue Shortfall under GST
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi
- Subarnarekha Port of Odisha Rs. 5000 Crore
- Sugarcane Farmers Protest in Maharashtra
Science & Technology
- Periodic Table completes 150 years
- GSAT 31 Successfully Launched French Guiana
- Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet Missile Tested by DRDO
- Indian Navy’s new Air Base
- Use of Space Technology in Agriculture Sector
- Unnati Program by ISRO
- World’s First Privately Funded Mission to Moon
- Status of Coal Sector in India
- Rise in Human – Lepoard Conflict
- Why India can’t handle more Tigers?
- First Captive Elephant Surgery
- Rise of Nitrogen Pollution in India
- Rise of Light Pollution
- Asiatic Lion Conservation Project
- Crocodiles Near Statue Of Unity
- Saksham 2019 : Fuel Conservation Campaign
- Plastic Consumption
- NITI Aayog Releases SDG India Index
- National Mission for Green India
Spice of the Month
- GS 3 || Governance & Social Justice || Vulnerable Sections || Women
Why in News?
- The Labour Ministry recently allowed for increased participation of women in underground mining.
Participations of Women
- Mining is a sector which has the potential to be a key driver of economic growth, development and job creation in many developing countries.
- Mining has been traditionally male-dominated across the world.
- A 2013 report by Women in Mining (UK) and PricewaterhouseCoopers stated that the mining industry has the lowest number of women on company boards of any industry group worldwide.
- India has put several laws that placed several restrictions on women working in the sector.
- The Mines Act 1952 completely prohibited the employment of women in underground mines, and restricted them to work in above-ground mines only between 6 am and 7 pm.
- When minerals and deposits are found close to the surface and spread across a large distance, the best way to mine is to use the open cast mining method.
- Underground Mining is generally used for areas where the mineral seam is too far underground for open cut mining to be of use.
- The labour ministry has recently amended the rules to allow women to work in underground mines during the day time and in opencast mines round the clock.
Significance of this Law
- Despite the amendment, the discriminatory labour laws still prevail with women in underground mining can only occupy technical, supervisory and managerial positions.
- The IIT-Indian School of Mines recently allowed female students into the mining engineering
- With a start being made, the likelihood of further change to allow women miners has gone up.
- Worker Population Ratio (WPR) is defined as the number of persons employed per 1000 persons.
- As per the last round of the Annual Employment-Unemployment Survey (EUS) (in the year FY16), the worker population ratio (WPR) for females aged 15 years and above was 21.7% as compared to the male WPR of 72.1%.
- Recent amendment to allow women to work in the mining sector bodes will curb gender disparity and boost equal opportunities for women in the long run.
Status of Women Coal Worker:
- The gender divide and exploitation of women in India has a history of female infanticide,dowry deaths, unequal wages, high levels of illiteracy and mortality, caste-baseddiscrimination and other social evils, especially in mainstream Hindu societies.
- A look atthe literacy figures should drive home this point –
- while the literacy rate for total Indianpopulation is about 52.75% for male and 32.17% for female, the literacy levels amongScheduled Caste women is a mere 19% and for Scheduled Tribe women is 14.50%.
- Particularly in the mineral rich states female literacy is abysmally poor – 3.46%, 6.88%,8.29% and 11.75% for Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa and Jharkhand respectively.
- TheMMSD report of IIED in its section on women, admits the widespread negative impacts of mining on women and offers only solutions like ‘naturalising’ mining societies, by which they mean that mining companies should encourage miners to live with their families in the mining towns.
- It urges women to participate in community programmesof the mining companies. However, for the women from the communities in India a fewbags of seeds, a few packets of medicines, a training programme on micro-credit or anawareness camp on health are no compensation to what they have lost for mining or whatfuture mining has to offer to them.