- When does a Bill Lapse in Parliament?
- J&K SRO 202 protest 2019
- Citizenship Bill protests in Mizoram
- Post retirement Appointment of Judges in India
- 100% use of VVPAT for General Election 2019
- CAG Report on Rafale
- Delhi Govt vs Lieutenant Governor case
- What is Judicial Recusal?
- Sanskrit Prayers in Schools Challenged in Apex Court
- Ladakh is a separate division now in Jammu & Kashmir
Governance & Social Justice
- 13 Point Roster System
- Calling wife a PROSTITUTE a grave provocation
- Information Technology Act amendment fumes eCigarette smokers
- SC order to evict more than 1 million forest Dwellers
- Skill Ministry’s guidelines for Jan Shikshan Sansthans
- National Commission for Safai Karmacharis gets 3 year tenure extension
- Policy for Domestic Workers in India
- Nilavembu Kudineer concoction for treatment of Dengue & Chikungunya diseases
- Reconstitution of Indian Council of Historical Research
- Swine Flu outbreak in various parts of India, How H1N1 virus spreads?
- Global Corruption Index 2018 by Transparency International
- PM Shram Yogi Maandhan
- Participation of Indian Women in Mining Sector
- CBI vs CBI Alok Verma Case, Has delay by Supreme Court defeated justice?
- Importance of research in UG curriculum
- CBI v/s Mamata
- India Warned by International Olympic Committee IOC
- Fungal Toxin Zearalenone in Cereals
- Magnitude of Substance Use in India by NDDTC, 16 crore Indians drink alcohol
- eAushadhi portal launched by AYUSH ministry
- Spike in female foeticide: study blames India’s inheritance law
- World’s 1st Human Rights TV channel launched
- Musical Devices usage Standards by WHO & ITU
- Issues India will face in 2019
- What is most favoured Nation Status ?
- India’s Foreign Policy Challenges
- Will Belarus Merger with Russia?
- Bill to counter exploitation by NRI spouses
- Trump Declares Emergency In USA
- India Hikes Tariffs on Pakistani Imports to 200%
- India to stop excess river water supply to Pak
- PM Modi’s Arunachal Pradesh Visit
- Why Venezuela Wants India to buy its Oil?
- India withdraws Most Favoured Nation status for Pakistan
- Mohammed Bin Salman in India 2019
- U.S China Fight for Greenland
- IAF Pilot Abhinandan in Pakistan Custody
- Why China Shields Masood azhar in United Nations?
- India to be Guest of Honor at OIC
- Why is Iran angry at Pakistan?
- Afghanistan Launches New Export Route to India
- National Cow Commission
- Why Promotion of City Compost policy needs overhauling?
- National Gas Grid project of India
- Ministry of Civil Aviation releases Vision 2040 document
- Advantages of Income Transfer Policy for Agri Sector
- Effects of Falling Inflation on Indian Economy
- Jet Airways Bailout Plan
- Crisis in World Trade Organisation
- Budget 2019 Analysis
- Infrastructure Allocations in Interim Budget
- Ladakh now connected to National Grid
- Reforming Loan Waivers Kerala Model
- India’s longest LPG pipeline
- Periodic Labour Force Survey
- Revised GDP estimates
- Can Two Child Policy Work in India?
- What is Angel Tax and Angel Investor?
- Transport infrastructure : India’s achievements in last 5 years
- Global Recession Warning by Nobel laureate Paul Krugman
- World Bank approved 11000 crore for improving safety of dams in India
- RBI concerned about NPCI monopoly
- Removal of Banks from PCA Framework
- Inter-State Agriculture trading via eNAM
- Revenue Shortfall under GST
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi
- Subarnarekha Port of Odisha Rs. 5000 Crore
- Sugarcane Farmers Protest in Maharashtra
Science & Technology
- Periodic Table completes 150 years
- GSAT 31 Successfully Launched French Guiana
- Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet Missile Tested by DRDO
- Indian Navy’s new Air Base
- Use of Space Technology in Agriculture Sector
- Unnati Program by ISRO
- World’s First Privately Funded Mission to Moon
- Status of Coal Sector in India
- Rise in Human – Lepoard Conflict
- Why India can’t handle more Tigers?
- First Captive Elephant Surgery
- Rise of Nitrogen Pollution in India
- Rise of Light Pollution
- Asiatic Lion Conservation Project
- Crocodiles Near Statue Of Unity
- Saksham 2019 : Fuel Conservation Campaign
- Plastic Consumption
- NITI Aayog Releases SDG India Index
- National Mission for Green India
Spice of the Month
- GS 2 || Governance & Social Justice || Human Development || Health
Why in News?
- The Tamil Nadu government has distributed nilavembu kudineer (a Siddha medicine) concoction(mixture) to treat people infected with dengue during the outbreak.
- Under in vitro conditions, nilavembu kudineer (a Siddha medicine) was found to provide protection against Chikungunya virus while it was effective as a treatment during acute phase of dengue infection.
- Dengue subtype-2, which is the most prevalent subtype in India, was used for testing the formulation.
- There was significant antiviral activity of the formulation at 3% of human dose onwards.
- Currently, there is no treatment for dengue and Chikungunya.
- The mode of action is antiviral in the case of dengue while immuno-modulatory in Chikungunya infection.
Siddha medicine system
- Siddha is one of the components of AYUSH, the Indian traditional system of
- It is of Dravidian origin and has its entire literature in Tamil language.
- ‘Siddha’ means achievements and ‘Siddhars’ were saintly persons who achieved results in medicine.
- Siddhars were spiritual adepts who possessed the asta siddhis , or eight supernatural powers.
- Agastyar is considered the first siddha and the guru of all siddhars; the siddha system is believed to have been handed over to him by Shiva.
- Siddha is focused on “Ashtamahasiddhi,” the eight supernatural power. Those who attained or achieved these powers are known as Siddhars.
- There were 18 important Siddhars in olden days and they developed this system of medicine.
- The Siddhars wrote their knowledge in palm leaf manuscripts, fragments of which were found in party of South India.
Key concepts- Siddha medicine
- The basic concepts of the Siddha medicine are the same as those of The difference is mostly in detail, Siddha has been influenced by the local tradition.
- An individual is a microcosm of the universe, who body consists of 5 primordial elements – earth, fire, water, air and space.
- Three elements, namely air, fire, and water constitute the three fundamental components – vata, pitta, and kapha – known as Their in harmonious interaction produce various pathological states.
- The treatment is aimed at restoring balance to the mind-body-spirit system. It places more importance on preventing diseases than curing them.
The effects of the medicine is not that much affective.
Clinical trials of the medicine is not done in the Siddha system.
Making medicine from plants includes many indegrients with itself. It is not an easy task to seprate the indegrients
Whereas in Allopathic medicines , focus is mainly on the one indegrient.
Till the time proper research is not done them we should use them as preventive measures but not as a proper treatment.
- Research should be done on these medicines. AYUSH should take an initiative to boost the researching department.
- CSIR-BGR -34 (research has)
Additional Info- AYUSH
- It stands for Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy, abbreviated as AYUSH, is a governmental ministerial body in India. Its Sanskrit meaning is “life”.
- To cultivate education and research in Ayurveda (Indian traditional medicine), yoga, naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Homoeopathy, Sowa-Rigpa(Traditional Tibetan medicine), and other Indigenous Medicine systems.
- For upgrading the educational standards of Indian Systems of Medicines and Homoeopathy colleges in the country.
- For strengthening existing research institutions and to ensure a time-bound research programme on Identified diseases for which these systems have an effective treatment.
- Formulate schemes for promotion, cultivation and the regeneration of medicinal plants used in these systems.
- For the evolution of pharmacopoeia standards for Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy drugs.
Why there is a need of promoting AYUSH system of medicines?