- When does a Bill Lapse in Parliament?
- J&K SRO 202 protest 2019
- Citizenship Bill protests in Mizoram
- Post retirement Appointment of Judges in India
- 100% use of VVPAT for General Election 2019
- CAG Report on Rafale
- Delhi Govt vs Lieutenant Governor case
- What is Judicial Recusal?
- Sanskrit Prayers in Schools Challenged in Apex Court
- Ladakh is a separate division now in Jammu & Kashmir
Governance & Social Justice
- 13 Point Roster System
- Calling wife a PROSTITUTE a grave provocation
- Information Technology Act amendment fumes eCigarette smokers
- SC order to evict more than 1 million forest Dwellers
- Skill Ministry’s guidelines for Jan Shikshan Sansthans
- National Commission for Safai Karmacharis gets 3 year tenure extension
- Policy for Domestic Workers in India
- Nilavembu Kudineer concoction for treatment of Dengue & Chikungunya diseases
- Reconstitution of Indian Council of Historical Research
- Swine Flu outbreak in various parts of India, How H1N1 virus spreads?
- Global Corruption Index 2018 by Transparency International
- PM Shram Yogi Maandhan
- Participation of Indian Women in Mining Sector
- CBI vs CBI Alok Verma Case, Has delay by Supreme Court defeated justice?
- Importance of research in UG curriculum
- CBI v/s Mamata
- India Warned by International Olympic Committee IOC
- Fungal Toxin Zearalenone in Cereals
- Magnitude of Substance Use in India by NDDTC, 16 crore Indians drink alcohol
- eAushadhi portal launched by AYUSH ministry
- Spike in female foeticide: study blames India’s inheritance law
- World’s 1st Human Rights TV channel launched
- Musical Devices usage Standards by WHO & ITU
- Issues India will face in 2019
- What is most favoured Nation Status ?
- India’s Foreign Policy Challenges
- Will Belarus Merger with Russia?
- Bill to counter exploitation by NRI spouses
- Trump Declares Emergency In USA
- India Hikes Tariffs on Pakistani Imports to 200%
- India to stop excess river water supply to Pak
- PM Modi’s Arunachal Pradesh Visit
- Why Venezuela Wants India to buy its Oil?
- India withdraws Most Favoured Nation status for Pakistan
- Mohammed Bin Salman in India 2019
- U.S China Fight for Greenland
- IAF Pilot Abhinandan in Pakistan Custody
- Why China Shields Masood azhar in United Nations?
- India to be Guest of Honor at OIC
- Why is Iran angry at Pakistan?
- Afghanistan Launches New Export Route to India
- National Cow Commission
- Why Promotion of City Compost policy needs overhauling?
- National Gas Grid project of India
- Ministry of Civil Aviation releases Vision 2040 document
- Advantages of Income Transfer Policy for Agri Sector
- Effects of Falling Inflation on Indian Economy
- Jet Airways Bailout Plan
- Crisis in World Trade Organisation
- Budget 2019 Analysis
- Infrastructure Allocations in Interim Budget
- Ladakh now connected to National Grid
- Reforming Loan Waivers Kerala Model
- India’s longest LPG pipeline
- Periodic Labour Force Survey
- Revised GDP estimates
- Can Two Child Policy Work in India?
- What is Angel Tax and Angel Investor?
- Transport infrastructure : India’s achievements in last 5 years
- Global Recession Warning by Nobel laureate Paul Krugman
- World Bank approved 11000 crore for improving safety of dams in India
- RBI concerned about NPCI monopoly
- Removal of Banks from PCA Framework
- Inter-State Agriculture trading via eNAM
- Revenue Shortfall under GST
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi
- Subarnarekha Port of Odisha Rs. 5000 Crore
- Sugarcane Farmers Protest in Maharashtra
Science & Technology
- Periodic Table completes 150 years
- GSAT 31 Successfully Launched French Guiana
- Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet Missile Tested by DRDO
- Indian Navy’s new Air Base
- Use of Space Technology in Agriculture Sector
- Unnati Program by ISRO
- World’s First Privately Funded Mission to Moon
- Status of Coal Sector in India
- Rise in Human – Lepoard Conflict
- Why India can’t handle more Tigers?
- First Captive Elephant Surgery
- Rise of Nitrogen Pollution in India
- Rise of Light Pollution
- Asiatic Lion Conservation Project
- Crocodiles Near Statue Of Unity
- Saksham 2019 : Fuel Conservation Campaign
- Plastic Consumption
- NITI Aayog Releases SDG India Index
- National Mission for Green India
Spice of the Month
|Neo Middle Class||• Those earning up to ₹5 lakh a year exempt from income tax. This effectively means that those earning ₹6.5 lakh a year would not need to pay tax if they made full use of the ₹1.5 lakh exemption available u/S 80C of the Income Tax Act.|
|Farmer's Income||• Under PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme, vulnerable landholding farmers, (cultivable land < 2 ha), will be provided direct income support @ ₹6,000 per year.
1. This is lower than what is being given in similar schemes by two States — Telangana and Odisha. Telengana’s Rythu Bandhu scheme (10k) and Odisha’s KALIA scheme (25k) offer more than the Central scheme.
|Informal Sector Workers||• PM Shram Yogi Maandhan Scheme designed to ensure a fixed monthly pension of ₹3,000 per month for informal sector workers (> 60).
1. The contribution would be ₹100 per month for those joining at the age of 29, while it would be just ₹55 a month for those joining at the age of 18.
2. Government will match the monthly contributions with an equal contribution of its own.
|Last Mile||• Centre will form a welfare panel (and later, a Board) for nomadic, semi-nomadic and de-notified communities. These communities are hard to reach, less visible, and therefore, frequently left out.
1. It follows up on the work of Renke Commission and Idate Commission.
|Coffee cultivation expansion||• Coffee has largely remained a South Indian phenomenon, with most of the plantations located in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. But there is a silent coffee storm brewing in the NE India, thanks to a handful of cafes, government-backed guilds and organic farmers, who are betting big on locally-grown coffee.
1. Beans grown by roasters such as Meghalaya’s Smoky Falls Tribe Coffee, Nagaland’s Été Coffee and Darjeeling Altura are being exported to countries like Singapore.
|Climate-smart agriculture||• Under Millet Village scheme, the department had harvested ragi (finger millet), thina (foxtail millet), cholam (sorghum) and kuthiravaali (barnyard millet).
1. Additionally there is a pilot scheme for cultivating Chia, a Central American plant, which is gaining popularity in India as yet another superfood.
• A combination of factors such as high protein content, short growing season, climate change resilience and low water requirement make millets an ideal crop for the State.
|Farmer suicides||• Maharashtra govt. has said over 90,000 farmers in 14 “suicide-prone” districts have been provided “counseling” under its project ‘Prerna’.
1. An official release from the govt. identified these districts as:
a. Marathwada => Aurangabad, Beed, Jalna, Hingoli, Nanded, Latur, Osmanabad and Parbhani
b. Vidarbha => Akola, Amravati, Buldhana, Washim, Yavatmal and Wardha
• Prerna, underway since 2015 to stop farm suicides, comprises social workers, psychiatrists and ASHA workers who counsel farmers suffering from depression.
|IT||• Union Cabinet has approved the National Policy on Software Products 2019 that aims to help the industry grow at CAGR of 40% to reach $70-80 billion by 2025, while creating employment opportunities for 3.5 million people.
• The policy, which aims to increase share of Indian software products in global market by tenfold, pitches for nurturing of 10,000 technology start-ups in software product industry, including 1,000 such start-ups in tier-II and tier-III towns.
• It also proposes up-skilling of 10 lakh IT professionals as well specialise 10,000 professionals to “provide leadership.”
|Textile Industry||• Textiles ministry has launched a comprehensive programme for the the development of knitting and knitwear sector in the country under the PowerTex India scheme.|
|Pharmaceutical Industry||• Earlier this year, Kerala became the first State to set up a Price Monitoring and Research Unit to track violation of prices of essential drugs and medical devices under the Drugs Price Control Order (DPCO).
1. After Kerala, it is now the turn of Punjab and Gujarat to have PMRU, set up by the NPPA in collaboration with the Dept. of Health and State Drug Controller.
|Startups||• Govt. has launched ‘Start-up Runway’, an initiative of government’s online procurement portal, Government e-Marketplace (GeM), which will allow startups registered with Start-up India to access GeM platform and sell innovative products and services to government buyers.
• A draft student start-up up policy has been prepared in Rajasthan to support innovations by the students and create an environment to facilitate their creative pursuits.
|Tourism||• Four islands in the Andamans and three in Lakshadweep have been identified for seaplane operations, while private sector participation has been invited for tourism-based projects.
1. Swaraj Dweep, Shaheed Dweep, Hutbay and Long Island in Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Kavaratti, Agatti and Minicoy in Lakshadweep have been identified for seaplane operations.
|NPA Crisis||• RBI has decided to allow three PSBs — Bank of India, Bank of Maharashtra and Oriental Bank of Commerce — to exit the PCA framework following capital infusion by the government and a decline in net non-performing asset ratio.
1. PCA framework is triggered when a bank breaches one of the three risk thresholds, and crossing 6% net NPAs is one of them.
|Railways||• Kerala to get country’s 2nd longest rail tunnel. A 10.7-km railway line, including a 9.02-km tunnel, has been proposed to connect the upcoming Vizhinjam International Multipurpose Deepwater Seaport to the railway network.
1. 11.26-km Pir Panjal rail tunnel, connecting Banihal and Hillar Shahabad, is longest.
|Transportation||• India’s first semi-high speed train, Vande Bharat Express, is a self-propelled train set that will ply between Delhi and Varanasi. It will reduce the journey by 3 hours. This is India’s fastest train to date, capable of commercial speeds up to 160 kmph. On Delhi-Varanasi route, however, its top speed would be restricted to 130 kmph.|
|Regional Aviation||• SpiceJet announced the launch of daily direct flights to the newly built Veer Surendra Sai Airport in Jharsuguda in Odisha from Delhi, Hyderabad and Kolkata under regional connectivity scheme UDAN. This will be the airline’s tenth destination under UDAN.|
|Clean Transportation||• Union Cabinet approved the implementation of 2nd phase of the Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Electric Vehicles or FAME with an outlay of ₹10,000 crore for three years, with effect from April 1, 2019.
• The main objective is to encourage faster adoption of electric and hybrid vehicles by way of offering upfront incentives on purchase of such vehicles as well as by establishing necessary charging Infrastructure.
|Minimum Wage||• An expert panel has recommended that a need-based national minimum wage for workers across the country be set at ₹375 per day, or ₹9,750 per month.
• It has also recommended different national minimum wages for “different geographical regions of the country to suit the local realities and as per socio-economic and labor market contexts.”
1. These regional wage recommendations range from ₹342 per day in some States including Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal to ₹447/day for States such as Delhi, Goa, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab.
|Unemployment||• Joining together under the banner of Yuva Halla Bol, over 60 youth groups representing the educated unemployed and government job aspirants have demanded that the Centre declare unemployment a national disaster.|
|Ponzi Schemes||• Cabinet approved the promulgation of an ordinance with regard to the Banning of Unregulated Deposit Schemes Bill, to protect investors from Ponzi schemes.|