Governance & Social Justice
- Generic Only Model : Concepts and Concerns
- Consumer Protection Bill 2018 Passed By Lok Sabha
- Global Burden of Disease Report by Lancet
- Adivasis in Chhattisgarh & M.P.
- Menstrual Hygiene for Rural Women
- Global Nutrition Report 2018
- What Is Sextortion Law J&k
- Human Microbiome
- Tele-Robotic Surgery
- Prevention of Malaria’s Side Effects
- Opioid Overdose Crisis
- India To Give Bhutan Rs. 4500 Crore
- IMO’s New Rule for Oil
- G20 Summit 2018
- Geopolitical Importance of Island States
- Strengthening Of Boko Haram
- US China Trade War
- Why India Paying Iran with Rupees?
- Trans Regional Maritime Pact
- Trump’s Syria Withdrawal
- India will Give Maldives $1.4 Billion
- Australia Recognized West Jerusalem As Israeli Capital
- China Taiwan Relations Indepth analysis
- Shahpur Kandi Dam Project Get Approval
- Qatar Exit To OPEC
- Farm Loan Waivers Good or Bad?
- Issues with ultra mega power projects
- Importance of Soybean for Malwa Region
- What is Public Credit Registry ?
- Financial Literacy for Financial Inclusion, Jan Dhan Yojna
- Dharavi Redevelopment Project 2018
- Bogibeel Bridge
- Global Wage Report 2018
- RBI 5th Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy
- Direct Benefit Transfer for Electricity
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
- National Pension System
- Troubling Power Sector
- Train 18: Fastest Train in Nation
- Oxytocin Ban Removed
Defence & Security
Science & Technology
- Mission Gaganyaan Approved
- Ethanol Blending
- Project Dragon Fly
- Swaminathan Calls GM Crops A Failure
- China’s Change E-4 Mission
- 3D printing in Pharma sector
- Womb Transplant
- Supreme Court On Rafale Deal
- GSAT-7A Launched
- Saturn to Lose Its Rings
- ISRO’s Small Satellite Launch Vehicle
- Bharat Net Project
- Indian Navy gets Submarine Rescue System
- Transgenic Rise with Reduced Arsenic
- Global Hackathon on Artificial Intelligence
- Cheap Hydrogen Production
- NASA’s Insight Spacecraft
- Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti
- Life on Titan (Saturn’s Moon)
- What is COP 24 ?
- What is rat-hole mining
- Structural Reform for Decarbonising India
- Marine Vegetation To Mitigate Ocean Acidification
- Impact of Ocean Warming On Great Southern Reef
- What is Bio-Diversity Offsetting
- Atmospheric Iodine Will Destroy bad Ozone
- UN’S WMO : 2018 4th Hottest Year On Record
- Effects of Drugs Discharge into Yamuna river
Spice of the Month
GS 3 ||Disaster Management ||Major Disasters ||Volcanoes
Why in news ? :
- On 22nd December 2018, Indonesia was hit by a Tsunami. As the giant tsunami waves crashed into coastal towns on the islands of Sumatra and Java, at 281 people were killed and 1,016 were injured.
Destruction caused by tsunami :
- More than 220 people have been killed and 843 injured after a tsunami hit coastal towns on Indonesia’s Sunda Strait.
- The tsunami which struck the island on Saturday evening was caused by an undersea landslide resulting from volcanic eruption of Anak Krakatau, a volcanic island formed over years from the nearby Krakatau volcano.
- It was exacerbated by abnormally high tide because of the current full moon situation
Volcanic Tsunami of Indonesia :
The Tsunami which Indonesia witnessed on 22nd December is attributed to the collapse in the west-southwest flank of the Anak Krakatau volcano. The collapse resulted in millions of tonnes of rocky debris plunging into the sea. This resulted in the displacement of large volumes of water resulting in Tsunami waves.
Prelims bits : About tsunami :
- Tsunami is a Japanese word for “Harbour wave”. They are also known as seismic sea waves.
- A tsunami can be caused by any disturbance that displaces a large water mass from its equilibrium position.
- The usual immediate cause of a tsunami is sudden displacement in a seabed due to submarine earthquakes sufficient to cause the sudden raising or lowering of a large body of water. The tsunami on December 26, 2004 was caused after an earthquake displaced the seabed off the coast of Sumatra, Indonesia.
- Large volcanic eruptions along shorelines, such as Krakatoa, have also produced notable tsunamis.
- A marine volcanic eruption can generate an impulsive force that displaces the water column and gives birth to a tsunami.