Art & Culture
- Sexual Harassment Charges against Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi
- All You Need to know about Electoral Bonds
- Electoral Bonds controversy
- NaMo TV controversy
- General Elections 2019
- RBI Governor bats for a Permanent Status to Finance Commission
- PM Modi’s Mission Shakti Speech & Model Code of Conduct
- Sadhvi Pragya Thakur’s latest Controversy
- Rafale deal document controversy
- Should SC Judges be under RTI ambit?
- Supreme Court Judgement on Tainted Candidates
- VVPAT verification
Governance & Social Justice
- Candida Auris : Drug- resistant fungi
- Candida auris infection
- Healthcare System for India, Difference in USA & European healthcare model?
- Lateral Entry in Civil Services explained
- Model policy for Women in Police
- NIRF India Rankings 2019 declared
- Quality Assurance Scheme
- Sex on false promise of marriage is rape
- Survey 2019 Ambitions Beyond Growth report by UNESCAP
- World Health Statistics Overview 2019 report on Life Expectancy
- World Press Freedom Index 2019
- Supreme Court compensation order on Bilkis Bano case
- WHO guidelines on physical activity for children under 5 years of age
- Global Talent Competitive Index 2019
- Algeria Political Crisis
- EU’s new Copyright Law, Will it change Web Worldwide?
- India Pakistan Kartarpur Corridor Talks
- India to Become NATO Ally?
- Japan Starts a New Era
- Julian Assange Arrested
- Sudan Political Crisis
- Trump designates Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps of Iran
- United Nations Has to Pay India $38 Million
- US labels Revolutionary Guard of Iran a terror organisation
- US Mexico border wall controversy
- Why is UAE Important for India?
- Why is Chile Important for India?
- India Pakistan Conflict De-escalation Mechanisms
- India suspends cross LoC trade with Pakistan
- What is Arab Spring 2.0?
- India to stop buying Oil from Iran
- Trump withdraws from UN arms treaty
- Asian Development Outlook 2019
- China’s growth after slowdown
- Foreign Investment in India
- India’s 20th Livestock Census
- India’s transition to Renewable Energy from conventional sources
- Indian Army Builds The Longest Bridge of India Over Indus In Leh
- India Energy Modelling Forum by NITI Aayog & USAID
- National Common Mobility Card launched
- Rise and fall of Private Airlines in India
- Rise in Global Crude Oil prices & weakening Rupee
- Slowdown in Industrial Growth & rising Inflation
- Supreme Court order on EPFO
- Supreme Court quashes RBI’s 12 February Circular on NPA
- What are Junk Bonds?
- What is Fixed Maturity Plans?
- What is GDP deflator? Is it more comprehensive compared to WPI and CPI?
- What is Trader’s Credit Card Scheme?
- What is Wholesale Price Index?
- 1st Bimonthly Monetary Policy review – April 2019
- National Rubber Policy 2019
- Sensex hits 7 months high, History & Functions of Bombay Stock Exchange
- Supreme Court orders RBI on RTI
- What is Dedollarisation?
- Asian Tea Alliance
- Pepsico vs Farmers Issue
Defence & Security
Science & Technology
- Dhanush Artillery Guns
- Combat Casualty Drugs
- The Indian Museum of the Earth (TIME)
- EMISAT Satellite Launched
- Faster Adoption & Manufacturing of Hybrid & Electric
- First Ever Image of a Black Hole
- India to Buy MH60 Romeo Helicopters
- Nepal and Sri Lanka Launch Their First Satellites Raavana 1 & NepaliSat-1
- Nirbhay Missile Successfully Tested
- High Bacteriophages in Ganga River
- Army invokes Emergency Powers for Missile Deal
- Cell Based Meat
- INS Imphal Guided Missile Destroyer
- Draft Indian Forest Act 2019
- Gujarat Fishermen’s victory in US Supreme Court
- Humpback Mahseer Fish included in Critically Endangered list by IUCN
- India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP)
- Jammu & Kashmir Environment Issues
- Madras High Court order on Chennai Salem Highway
- Monkey declared Vermin in Himachal Pradesh
- Neelakurinji Flower under Severe Threat
- Solar eWaste
- Special Postal Stamp on Ice Stupas released
- State of Global Climate report 2018
- What is Green Finance Ecosystem?
- Wind turbines are impacting ecology in Western Ghats
- All about Wild Food Plants
Spice of the Month
- GS 2 ||Governance & Social Justice ||Human Development || Health
Why in news?
- The World Health Organization (WHO) recently released the World Health Statistics Overview 2019.
- Life expectancy: For men and women combined, average life-expectancy has increased by 5½ years since the turn of the century — from 66.5 years in 2000 to 72 years in 2016.
- While “healthy” life expectancy (the number of years lived in full health) increased from 58.5 years in 2000, to 63.3 years in 2016.
- Births: In 2019, the WHO report said, more than 141 million children will be born: 73 million boys and 68 million girls.
- Mortality risks: Based on recent mortality risks the boys will live, on average, 69.8 years and the girls 74.2 years — a difference of 4.4 years.
- Life expectancy at age 60 years is also greater for women than men: 21.9 versus 19.0 years.
- Women outlive men everywhere, the World Health Organization (WHO) said recently while releasing its World Health Statistics Overview 2019.
- Whether it’s homicide, road accidents, suicide, and cardiovascular disease— time and time again, men are doing worse than women.
- Global suicide mortality rates were 75% higher in men than in women in 2016.
- Death rates from road injury are more than twice as high in men than in women from age 15.
- Mortality rates due to homicide are 4 times higher in men than in women.
Country wise discrepancy
- Life expectancy remains strongly affected by income.
- In low-income countries, life expectancy is 18.1 years lower than in high-income countries.
- One child in every 14 born in a low-income country will die before their fifth birthday.
- The risk of maternal death is hugely different between high-income and low-income countries.
- The gap between men’s and women’s life expectancy is narrowest where women lack access to health services.
- In low-income countries, where services are scarcer, 1 in 41 women dies from a maternal cause, compared with 1 in 3300 in high-income countries.
- In more than 90 per cent of low-income countries, there are fewer than 4 nursing and midwifery personnel per 1000 people.
- Attitudes to healthcare differ: The report attributes the discrepancy to differing attitudes to healthcare between men and women.
- In countries with generalised HIV epidemics, for example, men are less likely than women to take an HIV test, less likely to access antiretroviral therapy and more likely to die of AIDS-related illnesses than women.
- The same principle applies for tuberculosis sufferers, with male patients less likely to seek care than women.
- So men are much more likely to die from preventable and treatable non-communicable diseases.
World Health Organization (WHO)
- The World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health.
- It was established on 7 April 1948, and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The WHO is a member of the United Nations Development Group. Its predecessor, the Health Organisation, was an agency of the League of Nations.
- Since its establishment, it has played a leading role in the eradication of smallpox.
- Its current priorities include:
- communicable diseases, in particular HIV/AIDS, Ebola, malaria and tuberculosis;
- the mitigation of the effects of non-communicable diseases such as sexual and reproductive health, development, and aging;
- nutrition, food security and healthy eating; occupational health;
- substance abuse; and
- driving the development of reporting, publications, and networking.
- The WHO is responsible for the World Health Report, the worldwide World Health Survey, and World Health Day.
- One of the central problems in India’s healthcare system has been the low levels of public spending on health. Critically examine why public spending on health remains low despite poor health indicators. Also comment why the issue needs to be addressed immediately.