Art & Culture
- Sexual Harassment Charges against Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi
- All You Need to know about Electoral Bonds
- Electoral Bonds controversy
- NaMo TV controversy
- General Elections 2019
- RBI Governor bats for a Permanent Status to Finance Commission
- PM Modi’s Mission Shakti Speech & Model Code of Conduct
- Sadhvi Pragya Thakur’s latest Controversy
- Rafale deal document controversy
- Should SC Judges be under RTI ambit?
- Supreme Court Judgement on Tainted Candidates
- VVPAT verification
Governance & Social Justice
- Candida Auris : Drug- resistant fungi
- Candida auris infection
- Healthcare System for India, Difference in USA & European healthcare model?
- Lateral Entry in Civil Services explained
- Model policy for Women in Police
- NIRF India Rankings 2019 declared
- Quality Assurance Scheme
- Sex on false promise of marriage is rape
- Survey 2019 Ambitions Beyond Growth report by UNESCAP
- World Health Statistics Overview 2019 report on Life Expectancy
- World Press Freedom Index 2019
- Supreme Court compensation order on Bilkis Bano case
- WHO guidelines on physical activity for children under 5 years of age
- Global Talent Competitive Index 2019
- Algeria Political Crisis
- EU’s new Copyright Law, Will it change Web Worldwide?
- India Pakistan Kartarpur Corridor Talks
- India to Become NATO Ally?
- Japan Starts a New Era
- Julian Assange Arrested
- Sudan Political Crisis
- Trump designates Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps of Iran
- United Nations Has to Pay India $38 Million
- US labels Revolutionary Guard of Iran a terror organisation
- US Mexico border wall controversy
- Why is UAE Important for India?
- Why is Chile Important for India?
- India Pakistan Conflict De-escalation Mechanisms
- India suspends cross LoC trade with Pakistan
- What is Arab Spring 2.0?
- India to stop buying Oil from Iran
- Trump withdraws from UN arms treaty
- Asian Development Outlook 2019
- China’s growth after slowdown
- Foreign Investment in India
- India’s 20th Livestock Census
- India’s transition to Renewable Energy from conventional sources
- Indian Army Builds The Longest Bridge of India Over Indus In Leh
- India Energy Modelling Forum by NITI Aayog & USAID
- National Common Mobility Card launched
- Rise and fall of Private Airlines in India
- Rise in Global Crude Oil prices & weakening Rupee
- Slowdown in Industrial Growth & rising Inflation
- Supreme Court order on EPFO
- Supreme Court quashes RBI’s 12 February Circular on NPA
- What are Junk Bonds?
- What is Fixed Maturity Plans?
- What is GDP deflator? Is it more comprehensive compared to WPI and CPI?
- What is Trader’s Credit Card Scheme?
- What is Wholesale Price Index?
- 1st Bimonthly Monetary Policy review – April 2019
- National Rubber Policy 2019
- Sensex hits 7 months high, History & Functions of Bombay Stock Exchange
- Supreme Court orders RBI on RTI
- What is Dedollarisation?
- Asian Tea Alliance
- Pepsico vs Farmers Issue
Defence & Security
Science & Technology
- Dhanush Artillery Guns
- Combat Casualty Drugs
- The Indian Museum of the Earth (TIME)
- EMISAT Satellite Launched
- Faster Adoption & Manufacturing of Hybrid & Electric
- First Ever Image of a Black Hole
- India to Buy MH60 Romeo Helicopters
- Nepal and Sri Lanka Launch Their First Satellites Raavana 1 & NepaliSat-1
- Nirbhay Missile Successfully Tested
- High Bacteriophages in Ganga River
- Army invokes Emergency Powers for Missile Deal
- Cell Based Meat
- INS Imphal Guided Missile Destroyer
- Draft Indian Forest Act 2019
- Gujarat Fishermen’s victory in US Supreme Court
- Humpback Mahseer Fish included in Critically Endangered list by IUCN
- India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP)
- Jammu & Kashmir Environment Issues
- Madras High Court order on Chennai Salem Highway
- Monkey declared Vermin in Himachal Pradesh
- Neelakurinji Flower under Severe Threat
- Solar eWaste
- Special Postal Stamp on Ice Stupas released
- State of Global Climate report 2018
- What is Green Finance Ecosystem?
- Wind turbines are impacting ecology in Western Ghats
- All about Wild Food Plants
Spice of the Month
- GS 2 || International Relations || India & Rest of the World || USA
Title: US Mexico border wall controversy, Trump closing US Mexico border can throw USA economy in recession
Why in news?
- US President Donald Trump has threatened to close the Mexico border as a measure to check illegal immigration, as a punishment for Mexico
- However, economists have warned that any such move would be disastrous for the US economy.
- NAFTA: The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) facilitates trade by cutting tariffs and streamlining regulations.
- Reports citing figures from the US Chamber of Commerce said nearly $1.7 billion of goods and services flow across the Mexico border daily.
- These include jeans, cars, flat-screen TVs — and avocados, beloved to many Americans.
- Manufacturing: US manufacture would be among the biggest victims of a border shutdown.
- US industries rely on Mexico, either by selling goods and services into Mexico or by using Mexican materials in their products.
- Trade: Mexico is the United States’ third largest trading partner, with the latter importing $349.6 billion from Mexico in 2018, and exporting $265 billion (Union Nations’ International Trade Center). Among those affected would be –
- Automobile makers: with supply chains disrupted,
- Electronics: manufacturers of flat-screen TVs, computer hardware and medical devices,
- Apparel industry: that sources raw materials from the US and makes finished products in Mexico.
- Natural gas: Mexico also depends on the US for natural gas through cross-border pipelines, while hundreds of thousands of US jobs are tied to transportation to and from Mexico.
- Overall, top multinational companies would be affected — including Ford, Toyota, Boeing— and so would countless small- and medium-size businesses.
- Avocados & other food: The US depends on Mexico for fresh fruit and vegetables like avocados — Mexico supplies 80% of the avocados eaten in the US — as well as tomatoes, strawberries, grapes and mangoes, while Mexico relies on US soybeans, corn, dairy products.
- Shutting the border would most likely lead to dwindling of supplies, a spike in prices of food items imported from Mexico, and a drop in prices of US crops besides a loss of market.
- Mexico supplies more than 60% of all US produce in the winter and early spring, and that a shutdown could result in immediate and uncontrollable spikes in prices for items like squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, melons — and the beloved avocado.
- Border communities:
- Closing the US-Mexico border would inflict severe economic harm on American families, workers, farmers and manufacturers across the United States.
- Also if business relations with Mexico are strained, border communities in the US would most likely suffer, from decreased economic activity as well as potentially higher costs from crime and migration.
North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
- The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is an agreement signed by Canada, Mexico, and the United States, creating a trilateral trade bloc in North America.
- The agreement came into force on January 1, 1994.
- It superseded the 1988 Canada–United States Free Trade Agreement between the United States and Canada.
- United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement (USMCA): On September 30, 2018, it was announced that the United States, Mexico, and Canada had come to an agreement to replace NAFTA with the United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement (USMCA).
- The USMCA is the result of the renegotiation of NAFTA that the member states undertook from 2017 to 2018, though NAFTA will remain in force until the USMCA is ratified by its members.
- Examine the impacts of the US-Mexico border wall on US economy.