Art & Culture
- Sexual Harassment Charges against Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi
- All You Need to know about Electoral Bonds
- Electoral Bonds controversy
- NaMo TV controversy
- General Elections 2019
- RBI Governor bats for a Permanent Status to Finance Commission
- PM Modi’s Mission Shakti Speech & Model Code of Conduct
- Sadhvi Pragya Thakur’s latest Controversy
- Rafale deal document controversy
- Should SC Judges be under RTI ambit?
- Supreme Court Judgement on Tainted Candidates
- VVPAT verification
Governance & Social Justice
- Candida Auris : Drug- resistant fungi
- Candida auris infection
- Healthcare System for India, Difference in USA & European healthcare model?
- Lateral Entry in Civil Services explained
- Model policy for Women in Police
- NIRF India Rankings 2019 declared
- Quality Assurance Scheme
- Sex on false promise of marriage is rape
- Survey 2019 Ambitions Beyond Growth report by UNESCAP
- World Health Statistics Overview 2019 report on Life Expectancy
- World Press Freedom Index 2019
- Supreme Court compensation order on Bilkis Bano case
- WHO guidelines on physical activity for children under 5 years of age
- Global Talent Competitive Index 2019
- Algeria Political Crisis
- EU’s new Copyright Law, Will it change Web Worldwide?
- India Pakistan Kartarpur Corridor Talks
- India to Become NATO Ally?
- Japan Starts a New Era
- Julian Assange Arrested
- Sudan Political Crisis
- Trump designates Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps of Iran
- United Nations Has to Pay India $38 Million
- US labels Revolutionary Guard of Iran a terror organisation
- US Mexico border wall controversy
- Why is UAE Important for India?
- Why is Chile Important for India?
- India Pakistan Conflict De-escalation Mechanisms
- India suspends cross LoC trade with Pakistan
- What is Arab Spring 2.0?
- India to stop buying Oil from Iran
- Trump withdraws from UN arms treaty
- Asian Development Outlook 2019
- China’s growth after slowdown
- Foreign Investment in India
- India’s 20th Livestock Census
- India’s transition to Renewable Energy from conventional sources
- Indian Army Builds The Longest Bridge of India Over Indus In Leh
- India Energy Modelling Forum by NITI Aayog & USAID
- National Common Mobility Card launched
- Rise and fall of Private Airlines in India
- Rise in Global Crude Oil prices & weakening Rupee
- Slowdown in Industrial Growth & rising Inflation
- Supreme Court order on EPFO
- Supreme Court quashes RBI’s 12 February Circular on NPA
- What are Junk Bonds?
- What is Fixed Maturity Plans?
- What is GDP deflator? Is it more comprehensive compared to WPI and CPI?
- What is Trader’s Credit Card Scheme?
- What is Wholesale Price Index?
- 1st Bimonthly Monetary Policy review – April 2019
- National Rubber Policy 2019
- Sensex hits 7 months high, History & Functions of Bombay Stock Exchange
- Supreme Court orders RBI on RTI
- What is Dedollarisation?
- Asian Tea Alliance
- Pepsico vs Farmers Issue
Defence & Security
Science & Technology
- Dhanush Artillery Guns
- Combat Casualty Drugs
- The Indian Museum of the Earth (TIME)
- EMISAT Satellite Launched
- Faster Adoption & Manufacturing of Hybrid & Electric
- First Ever Image of a Black Hole
- India to Buy MH60 Romeo Helicopters
- Nepal and Sri Lanka Launch Their First Satellites Raavana 1 & NepaliSat-1
- Nirbhay Missile Successfully Tested
- High Bacteriophages in Ganga River
- Army invokes Emergency Powers for Missile Deal
- Cell Based Meat
- INS Imphal Guided Missile Destroyer
- Draft Indian Forest Act 2019
- Gujarat Fishermen’s victory in US Supreme Court
- Humpback Mahseer Fish included in Critically Endangered list by IUCN
- India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP)
- Jammu & Kashmir Environment Issues
- Madras High Court order on Chennai Salem Highway
- Monkey declared Vermin in Himachal Pradesh
- Neelakurinji Flower under Severe Threat
- Solar eWaste
- Special Postal Stamp on Ice Stupas released
- State of Global Climate report 2018
- What is Green Finance Ecosystem?
- Wind turbines are impacting ecology in Western Ghats
- All about Wild Food Plants
Spice of the Month
- GS3 ||Security || Internal Security Threats || Social Media & Internal Security
Why In News?
After Madras High Court has banned the option to download TikTok, the popular video-sharing app, has been vanished from Google and Apple app stores in India.
Why TikTok has been banned?
- Parents, in different reports, have expressed concern that since interaction with strangers is possible via the app. These factors have surely drawn the attention of sexual predators and other elements on the app.
- Is it because it was previously banned in Indonesia and Bangladesh? Or is it because of the demographic that TikTok attracts, which is a large number of children and youngsters? The matter of great concern is that despite the age limit of 13 years, children of all ages are using the app. So who is to be actually blamed?
Court’s reasons for the Interim ban of TikTok
- The order of the Madras High Court gives a list of its reasons for the ban, including concern of availability of pornographic content, exposure of children to sexual predators, persons being made subject to mockery or pranks, violation of privacy and its addictive tendency among youngsters.
- Court also stated that ‘…By becoming addicted to TikTok App, and similar apps or cyber games, the future of the youngsters and mindset of the children are spoiled’.
- However, ByteDance argued that a very small amount of content i.e. 0.0006%, is flagged as inappropriate by users, and the remaining is legitimate content. If true, then it must be taken into account when imposing a ban on the app.
- There are various other cases, which dealt with similar content related problems on other sites. The outcome did not lead to a ba but instead led to a direction to find a way to deal with the content.
Some Possible Reasons for Its Ban:
- A 24-year-old Chennai citizen allegedly committed suicide on Oct. 17, 2018, due to the harassment by TikTok users for posting videos of him in female attire.
- On Jan. 01, 2019, S Ramadoss, founder of the PattaliMakkalKatchi party in southern India’s Tamil Nadu state, asked the state government to ban the app as it leads to sexual perversity and distracts youngsters.
- M Manikandan, Tamil Nadu’s minister of IT, on Feb. 11, has said his state will ask the central government to ban TikTok across the country for “degrading culture and encouraging pornography.”
- A college student dies on Feb. 22 and two of his friends are severely injured, after their motorcycle rams into a truck while making a TikTok video.
- An Advocate Muthu Kumar files a plea in the Madras high court to ban TikTok over the circulation of pornography on ts platform and exposure of children to sensitive content.
- A 19-year-old Delhi resident is accidentally shot dead by his friend while posing with a pistol for a TikTok video on a car ride.
Comment your views on TokTok ban in India?