Art & Culture
- Sexual Harassment Charges against Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi
- All You Need to know about Electoral Bonds
- Electoral Bonds controversy
- NaMo TV controversy
- General Elections 2019
- RBI Governor bats for a Permanent Status to Finance Commission
- PM Modi’s Mission Shakti Speech & Model Code of Conduct
- Sadhvi Pragya Thakur’s latest Controversy
- Rafale deal document controversy
- Should SC Judges be under RTI ambit?
- Supreme Court Judgement on Tainted Candidates
- VVPAT verification
Governance & Social Justice
- Candida Auris : Drug- resistant fungi
- Candida auris infection
- Healthcare System for India, Difference in USA & European healthcare model?
- Lateral Entry in Civil Services explained
- Model policy for Women in Police
- NIRF India Rankings 2019 declared
- Quality Assurance Scheme
- Sex on false promise of marriage is rape
- Survey 2019 Ambitions Beyond Growth report by UNESCAP
- World Health Statistics Overview 2019 report on Life Expectancy
- World Press Freedom Index 2019
- Supreme Court compensation order on Bilkis Bano case
- WHO guidelines on physical activity for children under 5 years of age
- Global Talent Competitive Index 2019
- Algeria Political Crisis
- EU’s new Copyright Law, Will it change Web Worldwide?
- India Pakistan Kartarpur Corridor Talks
- India to Become NATO Ally?
- Japan Starts a New Era
- Julian Assange Arrested
- Sudan Political Crisis
- Trump designates Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps of Iran
- United Nations Has to Pay India $38 Million
- US labels Revolutionary Guard of Iran a terror organisation
- US Mexico border wall controversy
- Why is UAE Important for India?
- Why is Chile Important for India?
- India Pakistan Conflict De-escalation Mechanisms
- India suspends cross LoC trade with Pakistan
- What is Arab Spring 2.0?
- India to stop buying Oil from Iran
- Trump withdraws from UN arms treaty
- Asian Development Outlook 2019
- China’s growth after slowdown
- Foreign Investment in India
- India’s 20th Livestock Census
- India’s transition to Renewable Energy from conventional sources
- Indian Army Builds The Longest Bridge of India Over Indus In Leh
- India Energy Modelling Forum by NITI Aayog & USAID
- National Common Mobility Card launched
- Rise and fall of Private Airlines in India
- Rise in Global Crude Oil prices & weakening Rupee
- Slowdown in Industrial Growth & rising Inflation
- Supreme Court order on EPFO
- Supreme Court quashes RBI’s 12 February Circular on NPA
- What are Junk Bonds?
- What is Fixed Maturity Plans?
- What is GDP deflator? Is it more comprehensive compared to WPI and CPI?
- What is Trader’s Credit Card Scheme?
- What is Wholesale Price Index?
- 1st Bimonthly Monetary Policy review – April 2019
- National Rubber Policy 2019
- Sensex hits 7 months high, History & Functions of Bombay Stock Exchange
- Supreme Court orders RBI on RTI
- What is Dedollarisation?
- Asian Tea Alliance
- Pepsico vs Farmers Issue
Defence & Security
Science & Technology
- Dhanush Artillery Guns
- Combat Casualty Drugs
- The Indian Museum of the Earth (TIME)
- EMISAT Satellite Launched
- Faster Adoption & Manufacturing of Hybrid & Electric
- First Ever Image of a Black Hole
- India to Buy MH60 Romeo Helicopters
- Nepal and Sri Lanka Launch Their First Satellites Raavana 1 & NepaliSat-1
- Nirbhay Missile Successfully Tested
- High Bacteriophages in Ganga River
- Army invokes Emergency Powers for Missile Deal
- Cell Based Meat
- INS Imphal Guided Missile Destroyer
- Draft Indian Forest Act 2019
- Gujarat Fishermen’s victory in US Supreme Court
- Humpback Mahseer Fish included in Critically Endangered list by IUCN
- India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP)
- Jammu & Kashmir Environment Issues
- Madras High Court order on Chennai Salem Highway
- Monkey declared Vermin in Himachal Pradesh
- Neelakurinji Flower under Severe Threat
- Solar eWaste
- Special Postal Stamp on Ice Stupas released
- State of Global Climate report 2018
- What is Green Finance Ecosystem?
- Wind turbines are impacting ecology in Western Ghats
- All about Wild Food Plants
Spice of the Month
- GS 2 || Polity|| Political Dynamics ||Elections
Why In News?
Facing a massive backlash over her comments boasting about her “curse” on 26/11 hero Hemant Karkare, BJP leader Pragya Singh Thakur apologized and said she is “taking back her words“. She said Hemant Karkare was killed by terrorists and is certainly is a martyr.
- “I had told him you will be finished,and he was killed by terrorists in less than two months,” Pragya Thakur had bragged at a press conference
- “The investigation team called Hemant Karkare and said if you do not have evidence, let her go. He said I will do anything to get evidence against her. I won’t let her go. This was his hatred (kuteelta). He was anti-national. He was dharma virudh (anti-religion). You won’t believe, but I said, ‘tera sarvanashhoga’.
Sadhvi Pragya Thakur’s connection to Hemant Karkare
- Pragya Singh Thakur was the first arrest in the Malegaon 2008 blast case on October 23, 2008, within a month of the blast after ATS investigation led by Hemant Karkare.
- In the 29 September 2008 Western India bombings, three bombs exploded in the states of Gujarat and Maharashtraof India killing 10 persons and injuring 80.Two bombs went off in Malegaon, Maharashtra, which killed nine people while another blast in Modasa, Gujarat resulted in the death of one person.
- Duringthe investigation in Maharashtra, alleged evidence was made ascertaining the involvement of a Muslim group or groups in the blasts. The three arrested were identified as Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.
- The ATS probe found a conspiracy hatched by the accused, allegedly in retaliation to jihadi attacks.
- MALEGAON 2008–September 29,2008, 4 dead, 79 injured
- ATTACK:Blast opposite Shakil Goods Transport Company, caused by LML Freedom motorcycle with explosives concealed inside.
- The choice of Sadhvi Pragya is an attempt by the BJP to consolidate its core Hindutva base by lending its support to a person it believes is the “victim” of the Congress-led UPA’s plot to script a narrative of “Hindu terror.”
- We believe Sadhvi Pragya Thakur represents the fighting spirit of women. She also represents the fight against unspeakable atrocities and torture under false allegations. She also represents our fight against crass vote bank politics,” said Vinay Sahasrabuddhe, BJP national vice-president in charge of Madhya Pradesh.
CAN SHE CONTEST ELECTIONS?
- As per Section 8(3) of The Representation of the People Act 1951, if a person is convicted of any offense and sentenced to an imprisonment of two years or more, it will lead to disqualification from contesting elections. Sadhvi Pragya has not been convicted by any court and that makes her eligible to contest elections.
- Types of Terrorism doesnot exist.
- We ought to respect our Martyrs.
- Court’s decision is the final one.
Is it right to give the ticket to Sadhvi pragya to contest election? Comment.