Art & Culture
- Sexual Harassment Charges against Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi
- All You Need to know about Electoral Bonds
- Electoral Bonds controversy
- NaMo TV controversy
- General Elections 2019
- RBI Governor bats for a Permanent Status to Finance Commission
- PM Modi’s Mission Shakti Speech & Model Code of Conduct
- Sadhvi Pragya Thakur’s latest Controversy
- Rafale deal document controversy
- Should SC Judges be under RTI ambit?
- Supreme Court Judgement on Tainted Candidates
- VVPAT verification
Governance & Social Justice
- Candida Auris : Drug- resistant fungi
- Candida auris infection
- Healthcare System for India, Difference in USA & European healthcare model?
- Lateral Entry in Civil Services explained
- Model policy for Women in Police
- NIRF India Rankings 2019 declared
- Quality Assurance Scheme
- Sex on false promise of marriage is rape
- Survey 2019 Ambitions Beyond Growth report by UNESCAP
- World Health Statistics Overview 2019 report on Life Expectancy
- World Press Freedom Index 2019
- Supreme Court compensation order on Bilkis Bano case
- WHO guidelines on physical activity for children under 5 years of age
- Global Talent Competitive Index 2019
- Algeria Political Crisis
- EU’s new Copyright Law, Will it change Web Worldwide?
- India Pakistan Kartarpur Corridor Talks
- India to Become NATO Ally?
- Japan Starts a New Era
- Julian Assange Arrested
- Sudan Political Crisis
- Trump designates Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps of Iran
- United Nations Has to Pay India $38 Million
- US labels Revolutionary Guard of Iran a terror organisation
- US Mexico border wall controversy
- Why is UAE Important for India?
- Why is Chile Important for India?
- India Pakistan Conflict De-escalation Mechanisms
- India suspends cross LoC trade with Pakistan
- What is Arab Spring 2.0?
- India to stop buying Oil from Iran
- Trump withdraws from UN arms treaty
- Asian Development Outlook 2019
- China’s growth after slowdown
- Foreign Investment in India
- India’s 20th Livestock Census
- India’s transition to Renewable Energy from conventional sources
- Indian Army Builds The Longest Bridge of India Over Indus In Leh
- India Energy Modelling Forum by NITI Aayog & USAID
- National Common Mobility Card launched
- Rise and fall of Private Airlines in India
- Rise in Global Crude Oil prices & weakening Rupee
- Slowdown in Industrial Growth & rising Inflation
- Supreme Court order on EPFO
- Supreme Court quashes RBI’s 12 February Circular on NPA
- What are Junk Bonds?
- What is Fixed Maturity Plans?
- What is GDP deflator? Is it more comprehensive compared to WPI and CPI?
- What is Trader’s Credit Card Scheme?
- What is Wholesale Price Index?
- 1st Bimonthly Monetary Policy review – April 2019
- National Rubber Policy 2019
- Sensex hits 7 months high, History & Functions of Bombay Stock Exchange
- Supreme Court orders RBI on RTI
- What is Dedollarisation?
- Asian Tea Alliance
- Pepsico vs Farmers Issue
Defence & Security
Science & Technology
- Dhanush Artillery Guns
- Combat Casualty Drugs
- The Indian Museum of the Earth (TIME)
- EMISAT Satellite Launched
- Faster Adoption & Manufacturing of Hybrid & Electric
- First Ever Image of a Black Hole
- India to Buy MH60 Romeo Helicopters
- Nepal and Sri Lanka Launch Their First Satellites Raavana 1 & NepaliSat-1
- Nirbhay Missile Successfully Tested
- High Bacteriophages in Ganga River
- Army invokes Emergency Powers for Missile Deal
- Cell Based Meat
- INS Imphal Guided Missile Destroyer
- Draft Indian Forest Act 2019
- Gujarat Fishermen’s victory in US Supreme Court
- Humpback Mahseer Fish included in Critically Endangered list by IUCN
- India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP)
- Jammu & Kashmir Environment Issues
- Madras High Court order on Chennai Salem Highway
- Monkey declared Vermin in Himachal Pradesh
- Neelakurinji Flower under Severe Threat
- Solar eWaste
- Special Postal Stamp on Ice Stupas released
- State of Global Climate report 2018
- What is Green Finance Ecosystem?
- Wind turbines are impacting ecology in Western Ghats
- All about Wild Food Plants
Spice of the Month
- GS 3 || Environment || Environment & Ecology || Sustainable Development
Why in news?
- The Madras High Court quashed the land acquisition proceedings for the proposed Chennai-Salem greenfield corridor.
Chennai-Salem greenfield corridor
- The 300 km long, 8-lane highway project was proposed to connect Salem to Chennai.
- The highway passed through Kanchipuram, Tiruvannamalai, Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri and Salem districts, an agrarian region comprising reserved forest areas and several industrial zones.
- A feasibility study for the project pegged –
- the total cost at Rs 9,106 crores and
- a tentative cost for rehabilitation and resettlement had been worked out to Rs 415 crores.
- There are three existing routes between Salem and Chennai:
- Ulundurpet to Chennai,
- Walajah to Chennai and
- the Chennai – Tiruvannamalai – Harur – Salem routes.
- Government’s argument to justify the project idea was that –
- the first two existing stretches are facing abnormal delay due to increasing traffic volume carrying over one lakh passenger car units a day,
- the second stretch too may not reduce travel time even if a bypass route was introduced.
- It suggested that a direct Salem – Chennai highway may be the only solution to ease traffic and reduce the travel time.
High Court rationale
- Approval: The project first came to light on February 25, 2018, in a letter written by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister to the Union minister for road transport, highways and shipping.
- The Centre gave its nod on the same day.
- Clearance: A special division bench passed the order on the grounds that the project will have a huge impact on the environment and water bodies in the area.
- The court cited the failure of the state government in conducting a mandatory public hearing and not receiving prior environmental clearance from the Centre.
- Meanwhile, as the court noted on Monday, farmers in the five districts complained that they were not consulted.
- It also based its judgment on major flaws in the project report submitted by a private consultant.
- Impact: The farmers feared that the project would destroy the most productive farmlands in Kancheepuram and Tiruvannamalai districts.
- The court order also raised questions about a vulnerable reserve forest stretch near the project alignment.
- A feasibility study report, which said the project is expected to generate development around the towns, employment opportunities to the local people along the stretch, was scrapped by the HC, in light of the above drawbacks.
- “Madras High Court stay on Chennai-Salem highway project is welcome relief for farmers. But it is worrying that a court has to protect people and forests from their government.” Discuss.